Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one tried mounting another Rear Wheel and Tire on the front? to give it 20" all the way around? Just wondering if it'll fit under the fender?
Mine's lowered so I don't think it'll clear, but it would sure look good!
I like the style of the rear wheel better than the front! It's Deeper!
What da ya think?

GR

·
Premium Member
9,355 Posts
Not a good idea,, Ghostrider

The concept has been discussed several times in other threads about spares, etc.

The rear is almost 2" more in diameter, and 2" deeper on the hub. If you do try it, make sure you lower the jack very slowly - I suspect you'll hit the fender before the frame is lowered to its ride height - that leaves 0 room for springs and shocks to work.

You would also defeat the "big/little" look of a hot rod that the SSR is based on - unfortunately, the factory wheels don't do a very good job of showing off the difference.

Check older threads for aftermarket wheels - most SSRs with aftermarket wheels have a narrow front lip, and a wide rear lip.

Ray

Attachments

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Doubt the stock SSR rears would work - not the right offset. Other than that the wheel diameter is not the issue (within reason of course). The width, offset, and tire size are the key factors in whether or not a wheel will fit.

·
Premium Member
9,355 Posts
Doug and HD are right - wheel diameter is not really the issue. A correctly offset 20" wheel with a 255/35/20 tire with a 27.2" diameter (or similar size) will work fine - the stock rear wheel with a 295/40-20 at 29.2" diameter won't, due to wheel offset, tire diamater and width.

Ray

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I recall a post about the dealer's minion who rotated the tires on a members SSR.

He was not able to get off the lot before noticing that something rubbed.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I really like the look of the rim with it's deep dish look!
Just wishfull thinking!

GR

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,113 Posts
Nice Work

Mike,

Love the look. You appear to have maintained all of the critical parameters..... overall height, overall width and offset. AND changed the wheels.

Nice looking tread pattern too.

Please share the tire brand and sizes.

Mike

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mike, with your new wheel/tire setup, do the tires stick out further to protect the rim from scrapes?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
My SSR was the one that had the tires rotated by the dealer. The stock 20's on the front rubbed instantly and definately sent the DIC crazy, as "TRACTION CONTROL ACTIVE" message kept popping up every time I stepped on the gas pedal, even lightly. The 20's most definately rubbed on the front wheel wells. :mad

·
Registered
615 Posts
mikepowell said:
2" dish on the fronts, 4" dish on the rear :cool
the rims are 20's all around, but the outside diameter of the tires are stock :flag
Tire Sizes are? and if a person called Coddington, what would they ask for?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts