Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a Garmin C330 Streetpilot & love it! Find its best for me to mount it high on the windshield next to the rearview mirror, and would like to find an ignition switched 12V souce to power it. My reasons are:

1. Get rid of dangling power cord.
2. Have another car with similar mirror set up which will "borrow" the unit
from time to time.
3. The accessory power plugs in the lower dash are always on, and would like
to eliminate switching the unit on and off. (The c330 is engineered for it.)

My idea is to open up the mirror, find a 12V ignition switched source, and install
a small power jack on the forward and unseen side of the mirror case.

Has anyone here done anything similar for a gps or radar detector? Thanks in
advance for your response.

PCBeach
:ssr

·
OP
8,226 Posts
other locations

I probably would not tap into the mirror wiring. You may be able to run wiring across the header, down the a-pillar, under the door sill and back to the fuse box and tap into an empty ignition power spot.

The mirror is probably ok, but I would not chance it with the computer network in this vehicle.

Maybe a schematic guru will chime in and give his professional opinion

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,147 Posts
The top panel and side panel come off real easy. I had them off while I was playing with my antenna. You should be able to sneak a wire through real easy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the thoughts and info

Good points from both ampmop and dingbat, thanks guys.

A couple of words on the C330 from Garmin--it is small, powerful, 5 million points
of interest, has an in case antenna, and its simple black case with brushed aluminum screen surround even complements the SSR interior. Bought it in Jacksonville, FL after 40 minutes of looking for a particular shopping center for my
wife.

Purple Penelope might be interested...sorry, Ed, couldn't help myself!! :lol

PCBeach
:ssr

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
PCBeach said:
Bought it in Jacksonville, FL after 40 minutes of looking for a particular shopping center for my wife.
I've heard of mail order brides before... but didn't know there were stores for that. :lol

·
Jeff & Terri
1,120 Posts
Ed, uses a laptop when he can. He made it from Savannah to N.Y. on his own. (I tried to help you out P/P.) :rolleyes:

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Thanxx Jeff, good try. :)

I use Delorme Street Atlas on my laptop and forecast my trips. Using the GPS function when driving I can follow the path I've laid out. I find when stopped I can use that GPS start point for another map file, put in the destination, and see what is the shortest/quickest tavel path.

Some draw backs are battery rundown in about two hours. I've purchased an adapter to convert the battery voltage to equalivant AC for using the house wall plug. Anotherl drawback is the placement of the laptop in the vehicle for veiwing while driving. Need to check out how the cops have their laptop mounted in the vehicle for easy access. 50, you out there????

PCBeach, your on the right track with that Garmin 330 unit. Just saw it lowered in price to $699. Hope you didn't pay more than that.

I'd like the laptop to be easier to access than it is now. I'll work on the layout and hope I can stay with it. If I can'r do it, I'll go to a similiar unit as well.

P/P

Peace :flag

·
Jeff & Terri
1,120 Posts
I got the Garmin 2620 a couple of weeks before Savannah. It worked great going up. Did not get lost once. Like some other people I won't talk about.

·
Registered
78 Posts
laptop mount

They make laptop mounts that bolt under one of the front seat bolt. These are very common now and you can find one on Ebay or just do a search with Google for Laptop auto mount.

Wally

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Ah yes.......

Hwy 80, one of my favorite cruisin' spots. Been up and down (and up and down) a few times just looking for a place to eat. Must have moved the place, cause I knew where it was, was told it was there, talked to people who said it was there, but it wasn't there. Now what can a guy do when he's hungry, thrirsty, and they move the darn restaurant.

You don't understand what I went through. I don't think I'm making any headway. This just isn't right. Now what'd I do with that Street Atlas.....

P/P

Peace :flag

1 - 12 of 12 Posts