Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) :) :)

I just finished installing a new inside mirror in my 1SA SSR. The new mirror has:

**Autodimming
**Map Lights
**Compass
**Outside Temperature

The Mirror is made by Magna-Donnelly, the same company that makes a lot of the OEM mirrors for GM. The display is the same blue as the DIC. It puts the display just below the mirror and does not block the viewing area. It is nice, as you are usually checking your mirror on a regular basis, so a check on the temp/compass is easy. You won't have to search under your dash.

The installation was a challenge because the SSR has a different electrical setup, similar to the Corvette. I was the test case. I have to thank John H. at Maga-Donnelly for the specifications on the mirror and relay detail for the Map lights.

I have posted some pictures and will have some instructions and schematics soon for those who are interested.

:( :( :(

Sorry guys this is for the 1SA only. I think the 1SB will require that Centrex brand mirror with the display in the mirror, like the Silverado pickups.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Mirror Interference

HI SSR290/Jim,

I agree and think it would be great to have a compass and temp. gauge in our SSR mirrors. When I was at the Chevy SSR Team event in Athens I had asked why they didn't have that option in our SSRs. If I recall correctly, one of the designers saying that they tried to put that into the SSRs but the over head post and the powered roof caused some sort of interference with the compass and temp display so they had to forego that option.
:(

Ps Let us know if you notice any type of interference ... and or perhaps the compass might not show a true North positioning?

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Marc, that's correct, they told me they diden't want to offer the compass mirror because they were having electrical interference problems at the time. I don't know if they said the problem has been corrected or not?

Scott 0168

Great to be back on line!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Compass

:) :) :)

I have noticed zero interference of any type with the Compass. After installation you make a calibration for your location. My street is direct East/West, and all checks I ran last night were right on. The mirror works perfect

This should have been in the SSR from the start. :cool :cool

·
Registered
262 Posts
mirror part number

Do you have a part number for your mirror?
And can you give me some info on the wiring? I have the service manual with
wiring diagrams so I just need a clue on where to start.
I also have a '03 1SA so I will be working with the same data.
Thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
Rear View with Compass/Temp

Ok, lets hear what the part number is and where it was purchased... Also, if we install this will we lose our garage door transmitters?

Rainwater

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Mirror

HI Rain,

Yes, the Homelink feature appears not to be on that mirror (I don't recall ever seeing any other mirror with one). I would love the temp and compass but I also would want my Homelink for I wouldn't want to have a seperate garage door opener(s) to carry around in my SSR.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mirror

Here's the info on the mirror. I don't have the attached detail completed yet but will post when I get it done. (Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but just got back from a two week vacation in Hawaii)
Replacement 1SA Mirror

Supplier: Visionview Mirror Products inc.
Phone #: 888-776-6758

Mirror: Donnelly # 36500 AutoDimming with Compass, Map Lights
& Outside Temperature.
Price: $249.99 + Shipping ($7.99)

Installation

Install the mirror per the instructions with the following notes:

1. The Black wire to the existing SSR mirror is ground and goes in pin slot # 2.

The Orange wire to the existing SSR mirror is constant power and goes in pin slot # 7.

2. The Grey wire w/ Black stripe to the existing SSR mirror is the power
for the map lights when the door is opened and goes in pin slot # 6.
It is +12 Vdc. (positive).
A relay (attached detail) is needed to change this to ground (negative) to make the lights work with the door. This relay can be installed behind the passenger kick panel. The Grey/Black stripe wire can be found in the wire group in this area.

Connections on the seven pin mirror plug:

1. Temperature/Compass -power with ignition on
2. Ground (black)
3. “Optional “reverse connection
4. Temperature sensor lead
5. Temperature sensor lead
6. Door open feed (grey/black stripe)
7. Constant power (orange)

NOTES: **Due to the Capacitive discharge of the interior lights, the Relay will have a low buzz (or chatter) as the lights go dim.

**I found an ignition power feed in the fuse box behind the passenger seat.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

They do not have a mirror with the Homelink option. That mirror is made by Centrex. A mirror from a Silverado pickup might work. They have a compass/temp in the mirror face. You would still have to install the relay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts