Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the fourteeth day that I have owned my 2004 redline red SSR and about the tenth day since I discovered this awesome website. I'll post pictures within a week.

Sure wish I new about the website BEFORE the purchase as I probably could have saved at least another $5K over what I paid for the car which was around $40K in real money (and I thought that I stole the car!). The news about resale is disturbing to me as I trade often. I'll deal with this problem on the next trade, possibly a late 2005 SSR due to the high praise that I am seeing on this site about the '05 model (opinions please regarding the incremental value of a 2005 SSR vs. the 2003's and 2004's).

Regarding fit and finish, a rattle that appears to be coming from the leading edge of my roof, and toward the passenger side, is driving me crazy. It started at around 250 miles and has gotten progressivly worse. I searched all previous threads on this site regarding roof noise but did not see any solution(s) to my particular problem. I am sure that I am closing the roof properly as described in the owners manual and in the threads. The roof to body fit appears to be right on. My guess is that there may be a tensioning adjustment between the windshield and roof that could be increased to eliminate this problem. I plan to order the service manuals from Helm on Monday but in the mean time I would appreciate any thoughts on the potential fix to this problem before I start tearing my roof apart (have the dealer do it.........not). The car only has only 550 miles on it and I won't fully enjoy the ride until this rattle is fixed. Otherwise, I love the car.

·
Registered
395 Posts
top rattle

Have you tried putting the top down and up again, Sometimes when I put mine up I'll get a little rattle then if I cycle it again ( on level ground ) it goes away. Hey it 's worth a try ???? :seeya

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Top Cycle

Bill,

I tried that today with no luck. I also made sure that I held the switch unil I heard the two bells. I think it's going to require some adjustments.

Thanks anyway

·
Registered
83 Posts
Rattle Fix?

I had the same problem with my SSR. It sounded like a metal rod inside the roof panel was loose adn rattling. It was driving me crazy too. I put silicon spray on all the rubber seals and I sprayed WD-40 on all the roof linkages. I sprayed the openings where the roof latches to the windshied header and on the latches of the roof panel where it hooks to the windshield. I've worked in a machine shop for 30 years and I was doing this as Preventative Maintenence to keep the mechnicals in good working order and to preserve the rubber seals. Guess What? The rattling sound from the roof was gone. I don't know what did it. Maybe the latches needed a little lubrication to lock fully in place. Anyway, give it a shot. I hope it works for you also. GOOD LUCK :party

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Resale and rattle

Hi my name is Jim and I work at the craft center. I know exactly what your talking about, we had a problem with the header latches for about three months. ASC had an inexperienced operator on that job and we had a hell of a time fixing them at first. Under your headliner(roof) to remove this you must pull out five push pins three up front and one by the roof hinges on left and right sides. Be careful slow and gentle is the way to go for this one. After you pull your headliner off there will be a rod that connects to your header latch place a 10mm wrench in between the rod and roof panel and pop it off. Then take the same 10mm wrench and loosen the nut on the end of that rod(just break it loose) then turn clockwise two or three times(make sure you tighten not loosen)after you have finished this pop the rod back on the header latch ball and put your headliner back on and take it for a ride and check out the results. If this does not work let me know we have a couple of options for this problem. Good luck

Jim

·
Premium Member
9,218 Posts
Hey, Jim

Maybe Marc and Troy can put you on a retainer as our in house service co-ordinator - that's better info than most of us have been able to get from our dealers.

I posted a question for you under the "Disgust" threat - problem with the fit of the tonneau cover - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
jimjacks7 said:
Hi my name is Jim and I work at the craft center. I know exactly what your talking about, we had a problem with the header latches for about three months. ASC had an inexperienced operator on that job and we had a hell of a time fixing them at first. Under your headliner(roof) to remove this you must pull out five push pins three up front and one by the roof hinges on left and right sides. Be careful slow and gentle is the way to go for this one. After you pull your headliner off there will be a rod that connects to your header latch place a 10mm wrench in between the rod and roof panel and pop it off. Then take the same 10mm wrench and loosen the nut on the end of that rod(just break it loose) then turn clockwise two or three times(make sure you tighten not loosen)after you have finished this pop the rod back on the header latch ball and put your headliner back on and take it for a ride and check out the results. If this does not work let me know we have a couple of options for this problem. Good luck

Jim
Do you know up to what vin #'s?

·
Administrator
8,206 Posts
Flassh said:
Hey, Jim

Maybe Marc and Troy can put you on a retainer as our in house service co-ordinator - that's better info than most of us have been able to get from our dealers.

I posted a question for you under the "Disgust" threat - problem with the fit of the tonneau cover - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ray
Sounds like we could use Jim's expertise. Maybe those of us that have some issues can convoy over to his home for help... lol... :eek
just fun'n with ya Jim! :seeya

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jimjacks7 said:

Jim
Jim (and other responders),

outstanding response(s) to my issue. Thank you I will address this tomorrow per your advice and let you know of the outcome. I had a feeling that it was something like this. These types of threads are what makes this site so interesting and informative. I hope that I can return the favor in the future.

All the best,
John Niedospial

·
Registered
132 Posts
jimjacks/ssr#10820 .......thank you

I am very grateful for the info I read on this site. At times I have noted a sound that seemed to be a structural stress from the right header area.Thought it would be something I would need to live with indefinitly. Now, at least I think I can resolve the problem if it proves to be to much annoyance.

Yes, this site adds to my comfort level as I don't have a strong aptitude in the mechanical /technical area.

Finally bought a digital camera few days ago. That will be a chore for me to figure!

Again many thanks !!!

Frank

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Successful Roof Rattle Repair

Based on Bill's tip, I removed my roof headliner today (a 60 second no brainer) and looked into what was making the noise in my roof.

The side latch push rods did not appear to need adjustment so I looked further into the mechanism under the center windshield frame trim piece. I found two additional latch push rods located above where the rearview mirror is. The trim piece easily pulls right off but I always struggle to undo the electrical connectors like the one for the airbag off light in this instance. Both push rods were adjusted to over-travel positions. Maybe this was intended by the factory but none-the-less I adjusted the rods so that the "balls" lined up with the "receivers". After a grueling ten mile test drive over some well known bumpy roads in my area....................no more rattles :) from the roof mechanism.

I did notice a vibratory noise coming from both rear areas of the car and identified two loose fitting plastic fasteners that hold the side trim pieces to the roof mechanism. I will replace these 10 cent parts tomorrow and resolve this issue.

I suspect that the above problems are not isolated to my '04 SSR so I hope this helps anyone else with this/these problems.

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Thanks Jim

Jim,
Mine is rattle free, give my thanks to your associates at the Craft Center for building a beautiful ride and keeping in touch with us investors in fun bowties! :party

·
Registered
64 Posts
jniedosp said:
Today is the fourteeth day that I have owned my 2004 redline red SSR and about the tenth day since I discovered this awesome website. I'll post pictures within a week.

Sure wish I new about the website BEFORE the purchase as I probably could have saved at least another $5K over what I paid for the car which was around $40K in real money (and I thought that I stole the car!). The news about resale is disturbing to me as I trade often. I'll deal with this problem on the next trade, possibly a late 2005 SSR due to the high praise that I am seeing on this site about the '05 model (opinions please regarding the incremental value of a 2005 SSR vs. the 2003's and 2004's).

Regarding fit and finish, a rattle that appears to be coming from the leading edge of my roof, and toward the passenger side, is driving me crazy. It started at around 250 miles and has gotten progressivly worse. I searched all previous threads on this site regarding roof noise but did not see any solution(s) to my particular problem. I am sure that I am closing the roof properly as described in the owners manual and in the threads. The roof to body fit appears to be right on. My guess is that there may be a tensioning adjustment between the windshield and roof that could be increased to eliminate this problem. I plan to order the service manuals from Helm on Monday but in the mean time I would appreciate any thoughts on the potential fix to this problem before I start tearing my roof apart (have the dealer do it.........not). The car only has only 550 miles on it and I won't fully enjoy the ride until this rattle is fixed. Otherwise, I love the car.
I HAD THE SAME NOISE TOP RIGHT SIDE. AFTER MANY TRIES I FINALLY FOUND WHAT IT WAS AND CURED IT. OPEN THE TOP AND THE RT TOP LATCH THERE IS A ROLLER THAT THE TOP LOCKS TO. LUBRICATE WITH LIGHT OIL AND MOVE THE ROLLER A FEW TIMES AND NOISE WILL GO AWAY. HOPE THAT IS YOUR NOISE.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Thanks Jim! I did the suggested adjustment and hit the road with the top up and BAM! Kicked it up a Notch and the roof blew off and onto the side of the road. Meanwhile, I had "Punchline" on the CD player and was flying down the road goin over 150 MPH!!!! Man, my bald spot was acquiring some new amigos! Then I woke up....he.,he,,,,,,... :seeya

Seriously man, I do appreciate the heads up. My noise prob. with the top up has been an issue I have yet to address. Will do so soon. Thank you!

Ed:)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Finally Fixed it !!!

Well after trying everything I could read in the Forum I finally fixed the pesky rattle I was getting in the roof corners right behind the drivers and passengers heads. It sounded like metal on metal rattle when you hit a moderate bump unevenly. After trying everything I could read, I noticed these plastic shims glued to the folding mechanism. After a closer look I could see that they were being pinched hard enough to deform the plastic. So I took one off and tried it but it still rattled. I took both off and now the rattle is gone and it looks to be making good contact with the guide bracket. Here is a picture of the plastic shims that I removed. I also used some silicone lube on the plastic guide that was striking the plastic shims.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
pherrley said:
Well after trying everything I could read in the Forum I finally fixed the pesky rattle I was getting in the roof corners right behind the drivers and passengers heads. It sounded like metal on metal rattle when you hit a moderate bump unevenly. After trying everything I could read I noticed these plastic shims glued to the folding mechanism. After a close look I could se that they were being pinched hard enough to deform the plastic. So I took one off and tried it but it still rattled. I took both off and now the rattle is gone and it looks to be making good contact with the guide bracket. Here is a picture of the plastic shims that I removed. I also used some silicone lube on the plastic guide that was striking the plastic shims.
Please, could you help me understand where this was removed from, with a photo of that location?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts