Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR, Customized
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see a lot of Newbie postings lately - Welcome to the Family!!
There are some upgrades that should be made to the SSR that will save you future problems.
I have listed my top 6 recommendations:

SSR Upgrades - Highly Recommended

1. 05/06 SSR Underhood Fuse Box - There is a wire in the FB that frequently open circuits from the engine compartment heating & cooling. When the wire open circuits the engine shuts down - have the permanent fuse box fix installed. (Contact Art Bonadies or Dragon2U or Dicktator or ED in FL)

2. Automatic transmission shift cable - transmission connector modification. The factory neoprene connector ages and the linkage comes apart. The new connector will never fail. (Contact "Dictator")

3. Radiator Support Bracket - factory support is plastic and breaks easily. Replace with a metal support.
(Contact "Dictator" or "Mike in AZ")

4. Cargo Bay Cover Light - Minimum action, remove Fuse 40 from the Rear Fuse Box. Recommend replacing the factory lamp with an LED lamp & a 1 amp fuse. (Contact "Dictator")

5. Hood “Chevrolet” emblem - the emblem mounts will break if the hood is lifted by the emblem - don’t ever lift the hood by the emblem - install a under mount protection bracket.
(Contact the "Dictator" or "Mike in AZ")

6. Go to the HOW-TO-LIBRARY and copy all articles to your computer.

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
Excellent advice Ed !!! "Newbies" TAKE THIS ADVICE SERIOUSLY !!!

Have done #1 (you fixed mine in Alabama one day), #2, #4 & #5. Still have Plastic Radiator Brace and ... have hit an 18 Wheeler Recap (that broke my Front Splitter) and ran over Concrete Highway Divider in a Left Turn Lane. Guess I've just been darn lucky, however, I do check it "once" a year when I have the oil changed, which is coming up in August.

tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
There are some upgrades that should be made to the SSR that will save you future problems.

1. 05/06 SSR Underhood Fuse Box - There is a wire in the FB that frequently open circuits from the engine compartment heating & cooling. When the wire open circuits the engine shuts down - have the permanent fuse box fix installed. (Contact Art Bonadies or Dragon2U or Dicktator or ED in FL)

2. Automatic transmission shift cable - transmission connector modification. The factory neoprene connector ages and the linkage comes apart. The new connector will never fail. (Contact "Dictator")

3. Radiator Support Bracket - factory support is plastic and breaks easily. Replace with a metal support.

4. Cargo Bay Cover Light - Minimum action, remove Fuse 40 from the Rear Fuse Box. Recommend replacing the factory lamp with an LED lamp & a 1 amp fuse. (Contact "Dictator")

5. Hood “Chevrolet” emblem - the emblem mounts will break if the hood is lifted by the emblem - don’t ever lift the hood by the emblem - install a under mount protection bracket.

:|
Luckily, mine already had most of these items. But for sure, you neglected to mention the engine fan which to my understanding (in stock form) cannot handle the heat. The aftermarket fan flows much better and in my case, I also have the auxiliary fan too. No overheating problems here.......It for sure would be in my top half dozen items to go for.:wink2:

·
Registered
100 Posts
:|
Luckily, mine already had most of these items. But for sure, you neglected to mention the engine fan which to my understanding (in stock form) cannot handle the heat. The aftermarket fan flows much better and in my case, I also have the auxiliary fan too. No overheating problems here.......It for sure would be in my top half dozen items to go for.:wink2:
I would add the ABS heat shield.

·
Registered
266 Posts

I have done everything except # 1. I guess I need to find someone that can fix that.
John F.

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,190 Posts
You might want to add checking and replacing the neoprene connector up by the shifter on the automatics up under the cover plate inside the truck, they have been breaking also. Had mine checked out and it fell apart in the mechanics hands, 04 with less then 35,000 miles you just never know when or if these will fail.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Is there a recommended part number for the replacement upper bushing? I have the lower and might as well change them both at the same time.

Thanks

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,758 Posts
One other thing I would suggest is the rear frame stiffener either the Trail Blazer 4 bolt or the SE from Mike. This was one of my first upgrades and I doubted it would make the difference that it did but it was more than I expected.

·
Daily Driver
8,976 Posts
Ignition switch?
For purchase? Immediately.
For installation? When you have trouble, or some pleasant afternoon when you have time... which ever comes first.
Just be warned if you have trouble it won't be on a pleasant afternoon, may not even be daytime, may be raining like hell, and you'll want to go somewhere... like home. ;)

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Interior Door handle

I would also recommend that NEW owners be reminded NOT to pull hard when opening the door from the inside, the plastic mounts for the handle have been found to break off. :crying: Great post.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts