Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years tires being changed and stick on weights being removed have caused the rims behind the chrome face to have the gray paint stripped by the weights and it looks shabby. I have inquired about powder coating, maybe gloss black, but want the faces left chrome. Coaters tell me that it would be cost prohibitive, because of masking, media blasting would most likely defeat the masking effort. The option they offer is to do the entire wheel gloss black. If my "R" was a solid light color it would probably look super but my "R" is rico/silver over smoke/asphalt. Did get a cost estimate of between 700 & a grand for the set. Has someone out there redone their rims leaving the face original. What type of paint would stand up to the elements? Would future tire changing damage the paint at the rim edge? Any info would be muchly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
There are wheel services that will repaint the barrels. I painted the barrels on my wheels in gloss black, hated that silver color as it always looked dirty. I went to the automotive paint store locally and got the etching primer, black paint and clear coat. Rough up the old paint on the barrels and shake and spray. I will post the wheel refinishing company I used to do a set of other wheels for me. ULTRAGLOSS is a wheel restoration service locally that I used. Google automotive wheel restorations.

Dane

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
There are wheel services that will repaint the barrels. I painted the barrels on my wheels in gloss black, hated that silver color as it always looked dirty. I went to the automotive paint store locally and got the etching primer, black paint and clear coat. Rough up the old paint on the barrels and shake and spray. I will post the wheel refinishing company I used to do a set of other wheels for me. ULTRAGLOSS is a wheel restoration service locally that I used. Google automotive wheel restorations.

Dane
:|
OK, as an old guy, and somewhat knowledgeable as to wheels and tires, I'm absolutely "clueless" to your casual reference to "barrels".:surprise:

I'm gonna guess that just maybe you are referring to the rim where it meets the tire and the half inch or so before it goes into spokes or what ever else. Otherwise, I remain one (of what I would expect are many more) that have no clue.:nerd:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx Oldxr, like the flame job. The paint myself option does appeal to me, I'd really hate to destroy the chrome , and still have the centers to deal with. I'll worry about the tire machine if it comes up......Clivey.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Moscooter, oldxr is referring to the rim behind the wheels face. I hadn't heard that description before either but it describes that portion of the wheel well, I understood immediately, remove the face of the wheel and your left with a barrel......Clivey

·
Premium Member
6,653 Posts
:|
OK, as an old guy, and somewhat knowledgeable as to wheels and tires, I'm absolutely "clueless" to your casual reference to "barrels".:surprise:

I'm gonna guess that just maybe you are referring to the rim where it meets the tire and the half inch or so before it goes into spokes or what ever else. Otherwise, I remain one (of what I would expect are many more) that have no clue.:nerd:
The part that is painted Red on my wheels is called the Barrel

Attachments

·
Daily Driver
8,967 Posts
There are plenty of tire dealers with machines that don't touch the rims mounting a tire. The stick on weights are another matter.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,518 Posts
I heard some one on the site said they did the masking tape and spray routine and said it was a nightmare so I cheated. I figured you can't see the rear part of the wheel very good so just took the wheels off cleaned the back side and wet sanded them espoecially where the old weights were. Dried them well and taped the inside edge only by the chrome. Then found a paint that matched very closely to the Slingshot Yellow at Menards. Painted the wheels with yellow tractor enamel, I bought at Menards, 3 coats. Painted with a brush. Been good and very durable for three years now.

As to the cleaning. I use a soapy rag and water spray. I can get my hand in between the spokes and do it from the outside. Dry them and hit them with Top Coat F-11. takes just a few minutes a wheel. If yo laid on the ground and looked I suppose you might see a little dust or water spots or brush marks but from a standing position a few feet from wheel they look perfect.

Painted back side and added red brake covers.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,088 Posts
The part that is painted Red on my wheels is called the Barrel
You did a really nice job on your wheels
I went through the same thing as Clive when I put new tires on
The tire guys could not remove original weights without taking the original finish with them

I am just living with the situation, at least for now
What I was considering would be to go with silver/grey/or charcoal rather than body colour, but you or your paint guy sure did a nice job.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,950 Posts
I used to live 2 blocks from the tire shop, so I'd remove the weights and goo before going down for new tires. you can brush on wheel paint with throw away foam brushes without having to spend a lot of time with masking tape, just apply enough alcohol to steady your hand before you start....

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
All of the sudden the old POLKA song came to me “Roll out the barrel...well have a barrel of fun..” something about this conversation caused me a relapse��

Now that’s out of my head.....there seems to be an age difference here on the Forum but you can learn something new everyday.

OLDxR

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Old xr, I've been learning new tricks ever since I joined the Fanatics, I can now roll over, play dead, get released without my leash, oh... and act like I know a thing or two, and I'm just 70.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
You did a really nice job on your wheels
I went through the same thing as Clive when I put new tires on
The tire guys could not remove original weights without taking the original finish with them

I am just living with the situation, at least for now
What I was considering would be to go with silver/grey/or charcoal rather than body colour, but you or your paint guy sure did a nice job.
Ooo, Cash, I like the charcoal idea.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would look fabulous with your carbon fiber graphics, and maybe carbon fiber caliper covers.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
CLIVEY - Several years ago I found a paint that has never failed me. I'm trying to change my handle to LAZY ONE as that suits me. So, with that in mind,
The paints name is CHASSIS SAVER. It comes in Black - satin and gloss. No colors. It is meant primarily for rust control, but I've used it on everything
without a primer. About 10 years ago I painted a plastic cover between the windshield and hood. It had been discolored by the sun. turned gray in spots
and looked like s - - t. Today it still looks great. If you use this paint wear gloves. It will stain your hands for 3 to 5 days. Use a suitable sized foam brush.
It won't leave streaks or groves, but flows out evenly. The only question I have is can weights still be applied to paint and hold? Being LAZY should tell you
the story about using this paint. WSK - LAZY ONE

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevy SSR
928 Posts
I was prepared to paint the barrel of my chrome rims but when I stripped off the paint by accident I was trying to remove the stick on weight goo I found chrome. I now have chrome barrels to go along with the chrome face. It took about 45 minutes per rim and being careful not get any stripper on the face but I think it looks great.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
black and chrome and black

My barrels are painted black with the face still chrome on the chrome wheels.

I had a satin set of wheels painted black and clear coated when I redid the running boards. I also went ahead and had the barrels painted on a chrome the same time. I think five coats of black and then three clear coat.

I have seen it done on red and yellow. Maybe I have seen it on the silver, but it wouldn't show I guess. I like the look.

I keep them clean the same as the body and I don't run either set in the winter. This cost me $100 per wheel which I thought was reasonable. That included the center caps on the black wheels.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
4,009 Posts
I was prepared to paint the barrel of my chrome rims but when I stripped off the paint by accident I was trying to remove the stick on weight goo I found chrome. I now have chrome barrels to go along with the chrome face. It took about 45 minutes per rim and being careful not get any stripper on the face but I think it looks great.
What did you use to strip the paint off that revealed the chrome underneath? Wondering why they painted over the chrome at the factory? Seems odd... Obviously, the weights still stick to the chrome... Winter project! ?

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Yes, soren703 that was a good idea. I'll have to give this some more thought. I was going to paint them Black, but now . . .? WSK - LAZY ONE

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Soren703, Chrome you say, well now that you mention it that's what I was looking at when I tried to get the gum from the stick on weight of. I thought I had just scraped it too hard with the sharpened putty knife. I'm really going to have to make some corporate decisions here now. Sure glad I asked for member advice.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts