Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if your trans is out for other mods (strengthening, torque converter, blew it up so ya gotta rebuild...) how hard (expensive) would it be to change the ratios of the 3 lower gears?
I'm sure there's plenty of fanatical knowledge out there:flag

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Mikepowell: I don't know if this can PRACTICALLY be done outside a facotry or not (someone smarter than me needs to answer that one), BUT if it can, the trick mod would be to change 2nd gear ratio from the stock 1.62 to 1.80 or thereabouts, as that would not hurt total 1/4 mile time, but would improve the 0 to 60 mph by about 1/4 second, per my computer modeling software.

The way this happens is that the large "gap" between 1st and 2nd gear is made smaller, so you no longer would fall off the power curve right after the shift into 2nd.

You do NOT want to instead move 1st towards a smaller number (stock is 3.06 ratio), unless you have a supercharger or high stall torque converter. If you have either of those mods, that might be a better idea. But, with a stock engine, 1st gear will be too "tall".

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
There was a transmission shop in Arizona that was selling different ratio drums for the automatics. I just dont remember the name of the shop anymore. If I can think of it I will post back with the information.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Thanks, Joe. That's really good info. I went to the Phoenix one's website, and there is a LOT of informaiton there, although no proactive mention on the site of changing the internal gear ratios.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I was looking too and didnt find it. I know that a few had posted on another site of having custom ratios done by them. I would call all three and see what can be done. The last entry is for zippy, he has a vast knowledge of the automatic transmission and works for GM last I knew. I would start with Zippy first for questions and package deals, I have dealt with him in the past and his customer service is great.

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my thoughts were to lower the gearing in the tranny instead of the rear end thus having the overdrive for cruising and a snappy take off.:thumbs
I don't know what ratios would be good, or if it's feasable but thought it might be fun to explore:flag

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
mikepowell: The rear axle is the place to change the overall ratio. Far less expensive, AND it probably would not even be possible to change ALL the internal gearbox ratios just because of space available and torque loadings on individual gearsets.

Changing ONE gear inside the tranny can make sense.

Jim G

1 - 12 of 12 Posts