Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a vinyl decal on the back of the rear window and now it is peeling off. I have a replacement but wanted to make sure I didn't mess up the glass when removing it. It is on the outside of the rear window. Can I just use a flat razor to scrape it off or should I use some type of chemical. I don't want to scratch the glass or destroy the tint. Is the tint on the inside of the glass or the outside? Any suggestions for removal would be greatly appreciated. I guess I didn't get all that zaino off the glass very well and that made it peel up after a bit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
no razor

The tint is part of production and in the glass, not on interior or exterior (if factory tint) so it will not be harmed.

The corners of a flat razor blade will scratch the glass if you are not exceptionally careful. Believe it or not I normally use Windex to get rid of all that glue. Spray it on the leftovers after you removed as much of the sticker as you can. Let it soak and kind of scrub with a paper towell. It may taker several attempts, but you dont have to worry about scratches or harsh chemicals getting on the paint.

Lay a towell on the rear deck to catch excess cleaner.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I use razors.

If you are not comfortable using a razor that's ok.

Hard back razor blades work fine to remove just about anything on glass. I'd worry more about solvents getting on the paint, than the razor making scratches on the glass.

Tips:
- Always use a fresh blade. They only cost pennies in boxes of 100. Used blades may be nicked from hard use. Nicks cause scratches.
- Press the full width of the blade against the glass.
- Apply pressure at the center of the blade.
- Use a blade holder. It will allow shallower angels, a better grip and apply uniform pressure across the blade.
- The blade should slide smoothly along a clean surface.
- Hold it at about 30 degrees from the glass. More or less. Then angle used depends partly on what is being removed.

- Don't be tempted to use a corner.
- If the blade gums up with adhesive, where it will no longer slip across clean glass, get another. Scraper blades work by getting under the adhesive. Once the adhesive gets under the blade...

Blades and holders should be available at any Wal-mart or home center.

http://doityourself.com/store/6714471.htm

Edit: One place where you DON'T want a razor to get near, is the antenna printed on the inside of the windshield.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts