Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my bed cover to sand peeling clear coat and buff. I replaced bed cover and a few days later tried to lower my roof, which has always worked well. The windows lowered and I heard the normal motor sounds to lower the roof, although I saw no movement of the panels. I tried 2-3 times to no avail and received a Roof Cycle Timeout message.

Now when I try, the windows lower, then I receive the Roof Cycle Timeout message.

Is this related? Regardless, where do I start to troubleshoot repair this?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Time out

Something is telling the computer that the bed cover is ajar. The tonneau (roof cover) will not lift if the bed cover is not properly latched and seated. Also check the light connector.

Jack

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roof Cycle Timeout

I am receiving the Roof Cycle Timeout message on the DIC. I researched the threads and found the following (Pics 1 & 2). It said the most common roof system failure was the Storage Compartment Latch micro switch circuit failure.

I thought I removed the part (one on each side) shown in picture three, but it appears I removed the wrong part. Where did I go wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Attachments

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,573 Posts
I am receiving the Roof Cycle Timeout message on the DIC. I researched the threads and found the following (Pics 1 & 2). It said the most common roof system failure was the Storage Compartment Latch micro switch circuit failure.

I thought I removed the part (one on each side) shown in picture three, but it appears I removed the wrong part. Where did I go wrong?
Once you remove the latch plate you just exercise the switch with some cleaner (CRC 2-26 from Home Depot) and put it back. If that does not do it then it may be a Hall Effect switch in one of the cylinders or lack of fluid. You are on the right track though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once you remove the latch plate you just exercise the switch with some cleaner (CRC 2-26 from Home Depot) and put it back. If that does not do it then it may be a Hall Effect switch in one of the cylinders or lack of fluid. You are on the right track though.

The picture below is the part I removed. I do not see a switch to lubricate

Attachments

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,573 Posts
Thank you for your response!! If you think my bed cover is the issue, then I started down the wrong path. See the attached.

Here are the directions I am following and here is the part (one on each side) that I removed, looking for the stuck micro switch operating rod. Did I remove the wrong part?
It is possible when you put the bed cover back on you did not get it seated properly, or it was not seated properly when you got it so now it is seated properly but not correctly aligned. Look and check carefully before you try to realign it as that can be a real can of worms.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,573 Posts
The picture below is the part I removed. I do not see a switch to lubricate
The switch is in the other picture. It is on the back of the plate.
Also I merged both of your threads on this subject to keep all the comment together.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The switch in the other picture. It is on the back of the plate.
Also I merged both of your threads on this subject to keep all the comment together.

Thank you for merging my threads (Still learning). The picture I posted that has the switch is a photo from the instructions. My picture, does not have a switch. I must have pulled the wrong part...???... Are there two of the Latches - one on each side? That is what I removed. Are these two the "Storage Compartment Latch"?

However, from your and Dictator's response, it sounds like I should be concentrating on the bed cover, not this latch.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for merging my threads (Still learning). The picture I posted that has the switch is a photo from the instructions. My picture, does not have a switch. I must have pulled the wrong part...???... Are there two of the Latches - one on each side? That is what I removed. Are these two the "Storage Compartment Latch"?

However, from your and Dictator's response, it sounds like I should be concentrating on the bed cover, not this latch.

Update: I removed the screw on the part I removed and now understand what you meant about on the "other side". The switch is operating fine. I will check the other latch and re-install.

Then I need to concentrate on the Bed cover, correct?

The bed cover seems to close correctly and the gap looks correct all the way around. I will read the Roof Ajar post and see what I need to be looking for.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,573 Posts

Yes there are two latches, one on each side. I think your issue is probably with the bec cover not being seated properly. You really need two people, one to watch what is happening and one to push the button. If the tonneau does not come straight up to clear the bed cover that is the problem. If it tries but hits the bed cover then the bed cover is likely not properly set. I know there are a couple members in GA but not sure how close they are to you. They might be able to help. Do not do anything drastic with the bed cover without a plan.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes there are two latches, one on each side. I think your issue is probably with the bec cover not being seated properly. You really need two people, one to watch what is happening and one to push the button. If the tonneau does not come straight up to clear the bed cover that is the problem. If it tries but hits the bed cover then the bed cover is likely not properly set. I know there are a couple members in GA but not sure how close they are to you. They might be able to help. Do not do anything drastic with the bed cover without a plan.

Thank you so much, BlueStreak!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Did all factory SSR's come equipped with a Bed Light? Mine does not have one.

Attachments

·
Slingshot Rules!
75,577 Posts
Did all factory SSR's come equipped with a Bed Light? Mine does not have one.
Not ALL, Mike . . .

I believe . . . a Bed Light was part of the Carpeted Bed Option which included the Carpeted Lid.

Does your SSR have the Carpeted Bed Option?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

My wife pushed the button and I watched. The tonneau cover does not move (even though we briefly hear the motor run) and it has space to move between the bed cover. When we manually lift the tonneau cover, there is plenty of room between it and the bed cover - no binding.

The bed cover snaps shut easily and the tailgate shuts nicely. The bed cover also opens easily with the remote or the glove box switch. When closed, the gap on all four sides looks correct and even.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,735 Posts
Cargo Cover Lid

There is a "Compartment Present" switch (should rightly be called a Compartment Lid Present switch) located in the left hinge mount of the cargo compartment lid. It sends a signal to the Roof/Door Module (RDM) to indicate whether or not the lid is installed. Check to see if this switch or its connector may have been disturbed when you removed or replaced the lid. If you remove the lid and the roof works OK I would suspect this switch/connector might be at fault. This assumes that no other roof gremlin has surfaced independent of your removal and reinstallation of the cargo compartment lid.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts