Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of discussion around the subject lately in other posts and thought I'd provide some guidance.
I had a body man show me the trick to removing side body molding, emblems and other trim that was stuck on to the auto body with double sided trim tape. The tape used by auto manufacturers and quality aftermarket parts manf. is an industrial grade mounting tape designed to last the life of the vehicle. Removing anything adhered with this tape that has been on there for more that a few months can be a challenge. Here's what I learned and have used this technique and materials many times with 100% success.

Materials needed:
Variable temp heat gun or hair dryer
Dental floss or fishing line
Body Filler Spreader(s)
3M Adhesive Remover (preferred) or Goo Gone
Heavy paper towels or shop rags.
Alcohol

Use a heat gun (carefully) on lowest setting and highest air speed or hair dryer (safer) to heat the edge of the item to be removed. once it is hot to the touch, slide the floss or line against the paint under the adhesive tape . Using a sawing motion pull the line under the tape while applying more heat to the part and pulling the part away from the body. On large pieces insert a body filler spreader under the part separated to keep it from sticking back down.
Continue through the part until it is separated from the body. If the floss breaks just get a new piece and run it back down.
In concave areas where the line can not be pulled against the paint use the edge of a filler spreader as a scraper to separate the tape. The filler scraper will not harm the paint.
After removing the part some or a lot of adhesive and tape may remain on the body. Remove any remaining tape by heating and scraping with the filler spreader.
Remove any remaining adhesive with 3M remover or Goo gone. Do not try any other solvents as they may just make a bigger gooey mess or may damage the paint.
After all adhesive is removed thoroughly clean the are with alcohol until it squeaks when you run your dry finger over it.
You're ready to reapply the new part or wax the paint.

Cautions:
Heat guns can put out too much heat even on low setting, so if you have no experience using one then don't do it as you can blister or burn the paint. A hair dryer provides sufficient heat to do this and will not get too hot to damage the finish. Your wife will understand or just use it when she's gone!

Do not use paint thinner or mineral spirits to clean up adhesive. This is a poor solvent and will just make a gooey mess out of the adhesive from the tape that will be very hard to totally remove.

I saw someone mention using Goof Off. Do not use this on any auto body finishes. Goof Off was formulated to remove Latex Paint from hard surfaces and contains a mixture of solvents that can damage some auto paint finishes. While it may be OK on modern factory hardened clear coat finishes, if there has been any repaint or touch up it could cause a problem. Better safe than sorry and avoid it. I like to use 3M adhesive remover which can be found in any auto parts store or auto paint supplier, it is hard to beat and safe for auto finishes. A great alternative is Goo Gone and also a great thing to have around the house! Goo gone is citrus based and does a great job removing most sticky adhesives and it smells great too. Just make sure you clean up real well with alcohol after as Goo Gone does leave an oily residue.

Hope this helps!
Feel free to share any techniques that you have learned, This is not the only way!

Greg

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Excellent info. Thanks Greg. The only thing I would add is a pair of good work gloves. Using the dental floss or fishing line will tear right into the skin on you fingers and hands if you're not careful.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,704 Posts
Emblem Removal

A good quality automotive wax and grease remover such as PPG DX330 or Five Star Maxx Solv 5900 can also be used to remove the adhesive residue of the attachment tape. I usually apply this around the edges of the part using a pipette and let it soak into and soften the adhesive for a few minutes before sawing it with floss or nylon fishing line. And I also thoroughly clean around the edges of the part being removed with soap/water and a soft brush to remove any accumulated dirt to preclude that from scratching the paint during the removal process.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The "R" on my tailgate has faded to pink. I was thinking about removing it and painting it red. Is it attached with adhesive only or are there any pins?

Thanks,

Pat

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I like to use what I call the "eraser wheel" on my drill to clean off the remaining 2 way tape. Nothing better or faster IMO You could use DX 330 or one of those expensive products or just use plain ol naptha for a final wipe.

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
Never underestimate the effectiveness of a 12 Gage. :whistling:

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like to use what I call the "eraser wheel" on my drill to clean off the remaining 2 way tape. Nothing better or faster IMO You could use DX 330 or one of those expensive products or just use plain ol naptha for a final wipe.
I've used the eraser wheels to remove stubborn old petrified tape stripes. Never tried it on mounting tape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts