Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install my XM direct this evening if I can figure out how to get to the radio. I had an amp, speakers and subwolfer installed Monday and the tech who did the work said that the air vents, air bag all had to come out. Has anyone had their dash out? Thanks Edd.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I didn,t take mine out but went into the shop and saw all the dash pieces off. I think they all snap off of the front.He installed my xm behind the radio.you will love it!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
me too

Upp,

Same here. I didn't do it myself, but I saw the techs snap most of the parts off and take out regular phillips screws for others. They had the toughest time with the air bag until they finally found the screws holding it in. It seems they needed two elbows to get to some of the fasteners they couldn't see.

Sorry I'm not more help, but I think this is relatively easy...just a bit time consuming. You will probably be able to do it quicker the second time (hope you don't need it).

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Radio

I paid to have work done on mine as well. At first the techs thought they had to take out the air bags, but later determined that they didn't have to. Again the dash was a bunch of snap in parts and a few screws.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mr Upp said:
I am going to install my XM direct this evening if I can figure out how to get to the radio. I had an amp, speakers and subwolfer installed Monday and the tech who did the work said that the air vents, air bag all had to come out. Has anyone had their dash out? Thanks Edd.
hello Mr. Upp, if you remove the top dash cover,(it just snaps out) you should be able to get behind the radio,if not. it's not hard to get the dash out.once you remove the top dash cover you can reach the two air bag bolts on top and then open the glove compartment to reach the other two air bag bolts,you must remove the air bag. the center dash trim pieces just snaps out and there are some 8mm screws behind there, after you remove the screws the front of the dash snaps out, and you will be able to take the radio out :yesnod good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
pistons #1 fan said:
hello Mr. Upp, if you remove the top dash cover,(it just snaps out) you should be able to get behind the radio,if not. it's not hard to get the dash out.once you remove the top dash cover you can reach the two air bag bolts on top and then open the glove compartment to reach the other two air bag bolts,you must remove the air bag. the center dash trim pieces just snaps out and there are some 8mm screws behind there, after you remove the screws the front of the dash snaps out, and you will be able to take the radio out :yesnod good luck
Can you be more specific, on how the top/upper dash cover is removed? It looks to me that it is under the front/face of dash. I dont want to just pry it out if there is an easier way. Does the painted piece near the winshield come out also? Any help will be appreiated. I too am going to install direct fit sirius sat radio to the factory head unit.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I need help on the dash as well!
I've gotten the front polished trim pieces off, and the 7 mm bolts out, but I don't know how to get the airbag out... What a poor design...

please help!

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sirius Radio Installation

impnut said:
I too am going to install direct fit sirius sat radio to the factory head unit.
I am interested in installing Sirius. Where did you put antenna? What model radio did you use. How well do the controls interface with the OEM radio? Did you have to change any wiring? :ssr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts