Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully replaced their original home link, map light mirror with one that has home link, map light, and compass? If so, what brand and model did you use? I’m currently looking at a Gentex gntx-341 with light blue compass reading. It looks like it uses the same connector and it should attach to the wedge that is glued on the window. I just don’t want to buy it and find out it doesn't work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone successfully replaced their original home link, map light mirror with one that has home link, map light, and compass? If so, what brand and model did you use? I’m currently looking at a Gentex gntx-341 with light blue compass reading. It looks like it uses the same connector and it should attach to the wedge that is glued on the window. I just don’t want to buy it and find out it doesn't work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After doing a search, I think I answered my own question. Looks like we might be able to do it with a lot of intricate work based on a Gentex mirror that is no longer in production. I’m now looking for a remote mounted compass since there is a lot of magnetic interference where our rear view mirrors mount.

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,986 Posts
I believe about a year ago someone tried changing the mirror out to include a compass. Don't remember all the details but I believe they figured out it would not work. Maybe one of the electric gurus will chime in soon and help you out..

·
SSR Believer
649 Posts
Doesn't look like the people that bought those are very happy.

Just sold a couple of Garmin Nuvi that I didn't use anymore since I have GPS on my iPhone and the stereo I installed in our R. The Garmins always worked great.

If you want something that size, the Garmin units (and TomTom, etc.) display your location and the direction you're headed (can even show latitude and longitude). So might as well get all of the bells and whistles including maps and a lot more for about the same price like this one?

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
The replacement Compass mirrors like Gentex with compass will have a different connector. The SSR mirror has the interior courtesy light in it. The replacements only function as a manual map light so you will lose the courtesy light function. You could make it work but the connector will need to be rewired and no courtesy light.
I had a Gextex with compass and homelink and map light that was an extra from my Corvette project. It looked like too much trouble to try to make it work with the SSR so I sold it. Also it would not fit on the SSR OEM windshield lug and I would have had to buy the proper lug to glue to the windshield. My radio head unit has Navigation so I did not need the compass anyway.
Greg

Attachments

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,494 Posts
A bit of ancient history.......

I worked with Gentex on trying to get the compass mirror for the SSR back in 2006. I actually talked to the guys that worked on the SSR mirror application. The team that worked with GM on the SSR application found that the compass mirror was a bit problematic when it came to calibrating “true North”. It seems that the mirror calibration was inconsistent between the roof up and roof down conditions. They could never resolve the variability introduced int the mirror with the steel roof. They also told me that the body of the mirror was quite full of electronics already. The Auto-Dimming feature is housed inside the mirror as well as the homelink system and the map lights.

If you can find a new mirror that has Homelink, Map lights with a dimmable circuit to do the :Opera Lighting”, Auto-dimming with an output to the driver’s mirror and the Compass option, PLEASE let me know....... I’ve been waiting for 13 years......

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Mike,

I found one, gntx-341, auto dimming, map light/mood light, compass, temp, and home link. However, I can not seem to calibrate the compass at all and the temp reads 0C at all times. I have not tested auto dimming because I got frustrated at the point of calibration. The one I originally purchased has yellow readout for temp and direction but I have since found a gtx-341 that has blue readout.

I read one thread on the net stating the the gntx-341 needs the temp signal before the compass can be calibrated. I have not tried to send it a temp signal yet.

Is there a way to overcome the compass calibration issue?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No worries, your original write up was very detailed. I’m not sure I will peruse this any further either. I can’t decide if it is worth the effort for me alone, much less worth the effort to make something that others could use.

i have an iPhone and a new Apple Car Play head unit in my truck, I’m going to spend more time playing with that for a while.

Thanks!

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,986 Posts
This sent my mind down a rabbit trail of sorts. In the fifties when ever my Dad bought a new car the first thing he bought and installed was a little round compass contraption that mounted on the dash. You could adjust it etc. but it never worked accurately and my Dad would swear at it. Next new car same thing. Kind of reminded me of those "good old" days.

Click:

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Doesn't look like the people that bought those are very happy.

Just sold a couple of Garmin Nuvi that I didn't use anymore since I have GPS on my iPhone and the stereo I installed in our R. The Garmins always worked great.

If you want something that size, the Garmin units (and TomTom, etc.) display your location and the direction you're headed (can even show latitude and longitude). So might as well get all of the bells and whistles including maps and a lot more for about the same price like this one?

:rolleyes:

I also have a Garmin that I use on trips. Think it is a #2598.

But this comment of yours brings up a question.........."

If you want something that size, the Garmin units (and TomTom, etc.) display your location and the direction you're headed "

If I am just turning on "map", it does indeed show the surrounding area where you are and the (direction you are headed). BUT, If I enter an address and town that I want to go to and start on the designated route, there is (no longer) any (direction you are headed) as part of the screen display.:( Recently, I realized that I had never updated the maps in that Garmin and could not find the power cord that hooks the unit up to my PC.

Called Garmin Support and the gal mailed me a new cord for free! I brought up the "direction headed" concern while speaking with her, she thought that the unit should be able to display direction even with an address entered.......and said she would forward info on that with a return email. That never happened although I did get the new cord and have made updates to latest available.

Any ideas/thoughts on getting (direction headed) as part of a planned route???

·
BLU SSR
1,401 Posts

If you want something that size, the Garmin units (and TomTom, etc.) display your location and the direction you're headed "

If I am just turning on "map", it does indeed show the surrounding area where you are and the (direction you are headed). BUT, If I enter an address and town that I want to go to and start on the designated route, there is (no longer) any (direction you are headed) as part of the screen display.:( Recently, I realized that I had never updated the maps in that Garmin and could not find the power cord that hooks the unit up to my PC.

Called Garmin Support and the gal mailed me a new cord for free! I brought up the "direction headed" concern while speaking with her, she thought that the unit should be able to display direction even with an address entered.......and said she would forward info on that with a return email. That never happened although I did get the new cord and have made updates to latest available.

Mo, Check your Spam folder for the Email from Garmin - if she sent the cord she may have sent the instructions but your filter may have caught it. Just a thought, I had a similar thing happen recently and found a notification I had been looking for.

·
SSR Believer
649 Posts

By golly, I believe you are correct sir! I don't have them anymore, but looking at some Garmin screenshots it does show N-E-W-S when it's not showing a destination, but when it's displaying directions, there isn't any. How about that! I guess if you're following directions there might not be a real need to know, but still...

Screenshots of the Tom Tom GPS appear to show a small arrow in the upper left-hand corner that seems to point due north while it's showing a planned route. Apple and Google Maps on the iPhone have the same type of indicator. I guess that's helpful if you really need to know that bit of info.

Huh. I learned something today! ;)

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 10.59.28 AM.JPG Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 11.03.22 AM.JPG 402501-walking-directions.jpg ios13-iphone-xs-maps-parked-car.png

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
My Kenwood radio displays a compass on one of its main screens, but it also has navigation!
:unsure:

OK, not sure what your (Kenwood) does that is any different from our Garmins. The Garmins also (display a compass and/or show the direction you are traveling) but the (direction of travel).........is NOT shown during "navigation to a particular address". Which seems to be the same as what you are describing.:oops:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts