Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I performed some research on one of the options available for the now-unavailable GM cargo area D-rings. What I examined is a Toyota part that has the same metric threads as the original GM D-rings. The attached photo shows the Toyota D-ring between the original GM short-shank and long-shank D-rings. As you can see, the Toyota D-ring threaded shank is longer than the original “short” D-ring and shorter than the original “long” D-ring. The actual threaded shank length of the Toyota part is 7/16 inch.

This Toyota D-ring is suitable for use in both the side and bottom rails as well as the tailgate. For use in the rails, the edges of Toyota threaded tapping plate (also shown in the photo) need to be trimmed slightly because it is just a bit too wide to slide freely into the rails. The threaded shank should also be trimmed slightly so it does not bottom against the rail when tightened. When used as-is on the tailgate, the Toyota part provides about four turns worth of engagement into the threaded holes.

My conclusion is that this Toyota part is a reasonable replacement for use on our SSRs. The part number I ordered from a dealer is PT278-02010-HW for a 2010 Toyota Matrix. If anyone is interested, I have four of these and would pass them along for my cost of $8 each plus shipping. They are new and not modified.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
great research. This should come in handy for all of us

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
The opening looks quite a bit smaller . Does the OEM net plastic clip fit in that hole?

·
Premium Member
19,720 Posts
For tailgate I use ones from Scion xB first model the good thing about them is they fold down

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,798 Posts
You might get lucky and find a Scion xB in your local U-Pick junkyard. Just think of it as an Easter egg hunt without the eggs.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,012 Posts
Another option for D-Rings

My version uses Chevrolet P/N 22600404 cargo net retainers and some threaded stock, or you can use stainless steel screws and cut the heads off, e.g. I used M6-1.0x45mm stainless screws.

To get the cargo retainers to work on the SSR, cut, sand, or grinding down the internally threaded plastic barrel that extends below the large flat surface of the cargo retainer. I used a belt sander. You can grind the barrel all the way to the flat surface or leave a little lip as I did. However, if you leave a little lip and use the soft saddle bags, you will likely have to slightly open up the holes in the flat plastic retainers.

Cut the M6 threaded stock down to 20mm for the normal side D-Rings or 35mm for the long ones in the tailgate.

Screw the threaded stock into the cargo retainers. Optionally add some locktite or nail polish to keep the threaded stock from backing out of the cargo retainers.

I like this solution as the retainers are smaller and don’t require a small carabiner or similar to grab onto the cargo net. I also use them in the bottom tracks to keep items more stable and the net can be used as a divider. My cargo net and retainers are always in my R. When it gets in the way, I unhook it and throw it to the side.

The retainers are stock parts on several Chevrolet/GM vehicles and are readily available and inexpensive. I got the idea from the cargo net in my Z06.

P.S. I use the Mustang cargo net as described in other posts on the site. It works great and the opening strap is the right color for my R.

Enjoy.
-Robert
:silver:

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts