Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 has the original tires on it....only 24,000+ miles but going on 13 years old now. Should start thinking about replacing them in the next year or so. Just wondering what everyone is using now for replacement tires on their SSR's? Don't do any racing just going to local cruise nights & shows.

thanks

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Next Year !!! With the hot summer comin' on I would seriously think about replacing them tomorrow morning when your local tires stores open. Michelin's are the best buy for the money if you can find the right sizes. I'm like you ... local cruising and a couple of trips to Illinois or the Smok

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
My 05 has the original tires on it....only 24,000+ miles but going on 13 years old now. Should start thinking about replacing them in the next year or so. Just wondering what everyone is using now for replacement tires on their SSR's? Don't do any racing just going to local cruise nights & shows.

thanks
:|
I recently (last Fall), traveled from Las Vegas, Nevada down to I-40 and across the country back to No. Carolina. The SSR had around 21000 miles and the tires were stock. Traveled at 75-85 mph most of the way...........no problems.

But just a couple of weeks ago, I swapped out for a new set of tires. Check out the post on tires that says........."out the door pricing". It will give you lots of info.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Longevity?

There are many things that should be admired for their years of longevity. Tires are not one of them.

Jack

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
Some good threads about treads.

There have been a couple of recent threads regarding replacing tires.

That would be a good place to start. There are several good options out there depending on the weather that you drive in and $ that you want to spend.

Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts

thanks
You're not alone, my 06 has 23000 miles with the original Tires also, but it is time to replace them also. The left rear is the most worn, I guess that is the drive tire.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,641 Posts
About two weeks ago we went through all this for days. Not being mean but new folks need to use the search button. Go to the top of the page and click on the "SEARCH" button and you will get a drop down ask for tire replacements etc. and do search. It will give you hundreds of ideas and suggestions. It is all preference in the end. I use my local high end tire store and they get me whatever I want. Lots of guys go to internet sales but then you have to hassle with install etc. I prefer the tires that came on my SSR Goodyear RSA's 19 inch in front and 20 inch in rear. Don't rub or cause speedo errors etc. If you go to a shop to get replacement tires make sure they have a touchless install machine if you have chrome wheels. Take your center hub caps off very carefully yourself before you go because there are many stories of mechanics being rough with them and breaking them. The back is plastic. Make sure they check the build date stamped on the tires. You don't want new tires that are old. Ask to have the tires and wheels road force balanced and should probably get a front end alignment set up to "Dicktator" from Florida's specs. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I just replaced my original tires on my 05 about an hour ago. Atturo AZ800 tires. 315/35ZR20 on the back and
255/50R19 on the front. Total price for tires, mounting and balancing $617.00 I am very happy with the way they grip the road. I am not happy with the look of the R from the side. The fronts completely fill up the wheel well and the rears don’t fill up the wheel well at all. If I had to do it over again I think I would go with the 295/40ZR20 in the rear. I think now I am going to have to lower the rear an inch or two.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2,240 Posts
Thank you LITEMUP for your comment about the 315/35/20 rears. I've almost talked myself into going with that size versus the stock size but your mentioning the bigger gap in the rear wheel well I may hold off at least until I decide whether I want to go with a lowered rear end. I know I too would be very conscious of that visible "gap".

Dave

·
Spirited driver!
1,745 Posts
I just replaced my original tires on my 05 about an hour ago. Atturo AZ800 tires. 315/35ZR20 on the back and
255/50R19 on the front. Total price for tires, mounting and balancing $617.00 I am very happy with the way they grip the road. I am not happy with the look of the R from the side. The fronts completely fill up the wheel well and the rears don’t fill up the wheel well at all. If I had to do it over again I think I would go with the 295/40ZR20 in the rear. I think now I am going to have to lower the rear an inch or two.
For you & @Guzzi Guy for comparison: I have the AZ800 295/40ZR20's on mine and it looks like this.

Attachments

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,962 Posts
'Mo betta you change rear tires.... Azz too Low, ride too Hard... go back to "40"...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts