Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, let's talk replacements for the guages in the auxiliary gauge pod. My previous hotrod, the Marauder, came with two analog Autometer gauges in a gage pod down by the shifter console, one volts the other OP. A popular mod was to take out the cigarette lighter and put in a third gauge in the pod, essentially doing what Chevrolet had done with a triple console pod. Only I replaced the analog gauges with digitals, specifically, Nordskog Performance volt, OP and water temp gauges. (The water temp gauge was to keep an eye on the Meziere electric water pump). I'm attaching a shot of the gauge pod on this post.

I've considered replacing the three gauges in my '05 with digitals. Digitals are not only more accurate, but far easier to read. I'm considering volts, trans temp, and ambient air temp (outside air temp). These would be Dakota Digitals even though DD's have a somewhat smaller LED, the "teal" color matches OEM colors in the DIC and radio very closley.

What is holding me back.... uh, well, I kinda like the backlit SSR logo on the torque gauge, and I'd lose that little startup routine the gauges do.... uh.

So, comments, thoughts? Share your pics of replacements for on your SSR!

Attachments show the modified console gauge pod with Nordskogs. a shot of the Dakota Digial trans temp gauge in my A pillar pod, and a shot of the DD ambient temp gauge.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
I like the gauges in the photos.
They make for subtle custom changes that make the ride yours.

A question I would have: Do you use the existing wiring to new gauges?
Or do you run a complete new system of gauges, wiring and sending units?
If its all new how much background do you need to get it done?

Our old rides had nothing and we added to them.
On these new ones it seems everything is tied to everything via computers.

You've done it before, what say you?

Life is short
Drive a Hot Rod

Skip

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SA13355 said:
I like the gauges in the photos.
They make for subtle custom changes that make the ride yours.

A question I would have: Do you use the existing wiring to new gauges?
Or do you run a complete new system of gauges, wiring and sending units?
If its all new how much background do you need to get it done?

Our old rides had nothing and we added to them.
On these new ones it seems everything is tied to everything via computers.

You've done it before, what say you?

Life is short
Drive a Hot Rod

Skip

The three gauges in the lower console, volts, OP and Water Temp:

Volts connected to existing wires for the Autometer gauge; in the SSR this would need new connections since the OEM's connect to an existing harness.

OP used the OEM wiring, but replaced the OEM sender. Since there's an existing OP gauge in the instrument cluster, I wouldn't install one in the aux gauge package (though I do notice the IC oil pressure gauge is not as responsive or indicates the range of OP it should). In the place of the torque gauge, I would put in a transmission temp gauge, new sending wire needed to be run out to the sender, which would be tapped into the existing pan, or a new, deep tranny pan installed. I'm not a fan of installing trans temp sending units in a manifold in the transmission lines, and believe what the pan temps are reading is better than the fluid temp coming out of the cooler.

Ambient temp would need a sending wire run out to the sending unit, mounted up behind the grille or somewhere on the lower fascia.

Ambient temp would be the gauge I would take out later if and when I supercharged, to be replaced with a boost gauge. This would also be a good location for a tire pressure/temp gauge like the one I had on the Marauder.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What's your experience with the Volts gauge?

I have an '05 silver 6 speed with the aux gauge package and curious about your experience with the stock gauges. You've obviously done some research.

I've gotten used to the startup routine when they reset themselves, although 2 or 3 times now they've gone through there startup routine and all three gauges are pegged at the high end. Kind of looks like they failed some startup check and turned themselves off. When I power off the truck and restart it, they read fine. Do your stock gauges ever do that?

Also, my "Volts" gauge is rather strange on its readings. I would think the readings would be more consistent as my driving to and from work is really consistent however there are times the gauge reads to the high end. Has your stock "Volts" gauge been accurate?

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
If you are talking about the tri guage console cluster I have never noticed that with mine. They do there High low swing at start up but then go to there respective positions. I have never seen them stay pegged to the right. Do your regular IP needels do this as well?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, I'm talking about the three gauge cluster on the floor with the volt, torque and temp gauges. I've got about 11,000 miles on the truck now and the gauges have only done this a few times, its as if they have failed the startup "swing" and remain at the peak position until you turn off the engine, and as soon as I restart the truck they work fine.

All the other instruments and idiot lights work correctly, its just the "quirky" three gauges in the aux floor cluster. It's not a big deal, probably happens once out of every 250 starts, just curious if this was typical.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, that happens some times.

It's happened to me a couple of times. In fact, I've had individual gauges sometimes jump to the wrong reading and stick. The OAT gauge after startup, jumped to 80 degrees and stuck, even though it was freezing outside. A restart fixed it.

The Volt meter does some odd things sometimes, and I know this isn't the particular gauge, because it did it when I just took delivery of my SSR, and this gauge package is new -- not the one that came with the truck from the factory. sometimes the volt gauge jumps down to like 12 v, stays there, then jumps back up to the 15 reading where it stays most of the time.

BTW, volts should fluctuate more as well, again, I think these gauges are somehow "averaging" readings to keep owners from worrying if the needles change a lot. My digitals were accurate to 1/10 volt, and I could see them rise or lower just by turning on the fog lights, putting my foot on the brake at a stop light, etc. Biggest zapper of electrical energy? the A/C fan blower. Hot day, in gear, headlights on, foot on brake, stereo cranked up. AC on full, whoa does it draw.

Course, I had underdrive pulleys, which would sometimes make the volt gauge drop below 12 (11.99 it gave the warning flash) with those conditions.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
dakota digital guages

I have replaced the original guages with the blue dakota digital guages--volt, trans temp and ambient air---made a really neat install and gave me a useful air temp guage---I'll try to get some photos this evening--

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kenbob said:
I have replaced the original guages with the blue dakota digital guages--volt, trans temp and ambient air---made a really neat install and gave me a useful air temp guage---I'll try to get some photos this evening--
I'm very interested in the photos. This is something I am considering doing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Topcat55 said:
:ssr

Cool !!hats the part numbers for the Dakotauages ?

Thanks in advance, TOM :ssr
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/Category_ID=262/home_id=59/mode=cat/cat262.htm

You'll want to order them with bright trim bezels unless you prefer the black anodized bezels. If you look uo at my first post ^^there's a shot showing the DD's with black bezels.

Note that the lower gauge is the DD Tire Pressure and Temperature Warning System. I wish I had that on my SSR!

DD sells directly from their web site and through dealers. I found there's little or no advantage to buying through one of thier few dealers, unless you are having that dealer install the gauges. No real price breaks.

I also highly recommend Nordskog, mainly because their LED digits are larger. When I bought them they didn't offer blue LED's, only amber, green and red. The blues should look close to OEM color, though to be honest, DD's "teal" color is dead on for OEM digital color.

Also aboved is attached is a shot showing the "green" Nordskog digitals.

http://www.nordskogperformance.net/products/auto/streetdigital/index.htm

·
Registered
740 Posts
I want to replace one of my guages with a little ashtray. That way when I get the question "Your ashtray doesn't open", I can push the little guage and say "Sure it does!". :lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
console gauges

Kenbob said:
here you go
Kenbob. I want to do some color overlays on the lower console gauges. How easy is it to get to the faces of these gauges? thanks AQABLUR

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
gauge readings

my 04 with aux gauges does sometimes go hay wire but on restart it all go's back normal.03-04 gauges are different from 05-06 but it is a glitch in the electrics that causes it.if they had a volt gauge on the regular dash i would have never gotten the aux gauges.04 has volts,gph (gallons per hour)for what i don't know,and trans temp.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
gauge replacement

aqablur said:
Kenbob. I want to do some color overlays on the lower console gauges. How easy is it to get to the faces of these gauges? thanks AQABLUR
I think it would be difficult to remove the faces--Dakota Digital has several different colors available and I think they can do custom colors as well

kenny

·
Registered
10 Posts
Using 04 Trans temp gauage in 06 cluster

:yellow: Does anyone know if you can use the 04 trans temp gauge with an aftermarket sending unit to replace the outside temp gauge in my 06

1 - 20 of 21 Posts