Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering replacing some of the satin finishes with chrome such as door handle, front grill & maybe the inside door handle as well. So looking for recommendations as to where I can purchase these parts & how difficult would it be if I chose to do it myself?

·
SSR Pit Crew
2,229 Posts
Mike Byers on this forum works at Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine Tx. and posted not long ago that he still has the chrome seat hoops available.

Dave

·
Certified SSR "Nutcase"
2005 Ricochet Silver, Automatic
1,817 Posts
Replacing Satin Chrome with Bright Chrome Parts:

Assuming that you already have the factory bright chrome wheels, I would begin the exchange with the 7 exterior bright chrome parts. That includes the chevron (grill) bar/spear, the Chevrolet hood emblem, the 2 fog light bezels, the 2 outside door handles, and the "SS" letters on the tailgate.

After doing that you can assess the situation and see if you want to continue with the 18 piece interior bright chrome package, which includes the inside tailgate handle, as well as the console gauge pod (if desired).

That's how I went about it way back in 2006. The 7 exterior bright chrome parts are relatively simple to install yourself. Some of the interior parts were a good bit more trouble (particularly around the dash gauge cluster), to me at least, as I did it all myself.

Like was mentioned in an earlier reply post, you can contact fanatic Mike Byers on the forum first. Then Bill Welch (Wild Bill's SSR Parts) if you need to. His website is www.ssr-parts.com.

Alex

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,755 Posts
I would look into what is not available first. It seems like it was the ac controls and the steering wheel were two that come to mind. Also I think maybe one of the door handles also was no longer available.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,594 Posts
Oh yeah.....BTW Minion. Be sure to bring your wallet and your checkbook!!!!............

2018-11-03-14-22-07--453123267.jpeg

■□■ - Super glad my FPR came loaded with all chrome. It looks so good against the Smokin'Asphalt!!

Ahhhhh. Ain't life grand?!?!? - :smile2:

=================
David :black:
IMG_9675.jpeg

·
Premium Member
756 Posts

^^^^ This.I'm changing out a lot of mine to shiny,but being retired I have to save up for it. Someone told me a lot of the inside satin plastic parts can be buffed out,Didn't know if you could buff out or not.I'm afraid to try it.Don't want to screw the old part up.I have a good buffing wheel set up and have polished a bunch of satin aluminum stuff before.

Reactions: Jersey red

·
Premium Member
6,845 Posts
Yes, the satin can be desatined to a chrome finish. I did some Jersey Red just finished his and Dragon2u has done his. I believe he even did the wheels. It is a long slow process and a lot of patience. Just watch the Parts for sale section and eBay.. Good Luck.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,594 Posts
Risk?? - Risk you say?? - :surprise:

Nah-h-h-h.....No risk at all. - :grin2:

♥♡♥ - Just a bunch of my 'saved up' cash!! - :glol

===============
2018-04-13-13-03-33-2144384869.jpeg

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
A few chrome hood emblems are on ebay.......I Think all of the chrome spears are gone?? I doubt you can come up with a full package? If so it will be one part or two from a member who stashed them away. Wild B steering wheels in chrome were about $800???............Bring lots of cash.............I just did the hood emblem & [spear] in chrome when Gm still had 17 left. Matches well with vettmans concept rear S.S. tail gate trim witch is a must have. I also Have S.S. lick & stick door handle trim to put on when we get a warm day & probable will call it a day.

Birdmans

·
Dr Who
649 Posts
I would suggest having the satin parts chromed. Cheaper than buying some of the original chrome parts, which are getting harder to find and going up in price. I used a place called Metal Fusion Plating out of Miami. They did a great job.

Attachments

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,594 Posts
Looks great, Who. - :thumbs

2018-08-31-11-46-29--1512306234.jpeg

---That black R on the T'gate is a smart touch on the Redline also.

===============
images-9.jpeg

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,803 Posts
Not black, I had it chromed. The SS is pearl white with chrome on the outside. I guess it's not a good picture.
Going back and looking when you know what you are looking at you can see it. It is a hard combination to get the right light.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts