Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 yellow/green ghost flames
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow fanatics;
We are seeking your input regarding every part, module, sensors etc that might cause our 05 to unexpectedly die. This has happened twice in the last month and must be addressed as we intend to keep stealth for years to come. Instead of a piecemeal approach to hunt down the cause, we intend to replace every part that might be the cause now.

Here are the facts: we are the original owners; always garaged; 2005; 27,457 miles; LS2 which mechanically runs perfectly. We believe the problem to be electrical.

The following items have been replaced within the last three months: battery; starter and solenoid; ignition switch; complete set of SE coolant hoses; expansion tank; thermostat; air filter. I have reset the computer via fuse 27. All fuses have been checked and Dictator rebuilt the fuse block for us a few years ago.

While motoring along the engine just quits, check engine light comes on and, a moment later, all the dash lights come on. Attempts to restart produces a sort of grinding sound but no restart. Next day, starts normally.

Sorry about the length of this post but know that any of your recommendations of parts we should replace are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
6,787 Posts
I didn't read your complete post at first and was going to suggest the fuse box repair but after rereading it, that has already been addressed. Have you made up a fuse repair and tried that to see if it could be reoccurring fuse box problem?

·
SSR Believer
3,623 Posts
Greetings fellow fanatics;
We are seeking your input regarding every part, module, sensors etc that might cause our 05 to unexpectedly die. This has happened twice in the last month and must be addressed as we intend to keep stealth for years to come. Instead of a piecemeal approach to hunt down the cause, we intend to replace every part that might be the cause now.

Here are the facts: we are the original owners; always garaged; 2005; 27,457 miles; LS2 which mechanically runs perfectly. We believe the problem to be electrical.

The following items have been replaced within the last three months: battery; starter and solenoid; ignition switch; complete set of SE coolant hoses; expansion tank; thermostat; air filter. I have reset the computer via fuse 27. All fuses have been checked and Dictator rebuilt the fuse block for us a few years ago.

While motoring along the engine just quits, check engine light comes on and, a moment later, all the dash lights come on. Attempts to restart produces a sort of grinding sound but no restart. Next day, starts normally.

Sorry about the length of this post but know that any of your recommendations of parts we should replace are greatly appreciated.
It does sound very much like the under hood fuse box issue - even if @Dicktator repaired it previously.

Per @Stlhotrod, installing an emergency fuse box jumper could quickly eliminate the under hood fuse box as the problem, or at least that known issue. Unfortunately you'd have to wait until it quits or won't start to find out.

The instructions for making a simple emergency under hood fuse box jumper with parts commonly found at all auto parts stores can be found on Mike's site (look for "FUSE BOX EMERGENCY JUMPER":

Hope that helps and keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
6,515 Posts
I don't remember the Fuse box issue causing the "Check Engine" light to come on. When you say trying to restart produces a sort of grinding sound, is it a different sound than usual? And does the engine turn over and over without firing / trying to run? The first thing now is to get the Codes, causing the Check Engine Light to come on, to better know what's happening. Others will make other suggestions.

Nick

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your quick replys. Following the last breakdown, the truck was hauled back to a very reputable repair shop where we had sought to get the truck fixed. They had determined that the ignition switch was the problem. We barely got a single mile before this last breakdown. They wanted the truck back where it has been the last three weeks. They drive it around their property intermittently everyday trying to get it to fail. It won't. Becoming frustrated, we thought we would just tell them to fix everything so we could get our truck back and be confident with it again.

As for the grinding sound I mentioned, the engine is not turning over. Not sure how long a wait before the engine would restart because we wanted the repair shop to have the best shot at diagnosing the problem.

Did not put in new relays. I must admit that I not much of a mechanic and usually rely on qualified work to be sure it is done properly. Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
6,515 Posts
Thanks for your quick replys. Following the last breakdown, the truck was hauled back to a very reputable repair shop where we had sought to get the truck fixed. They had determined that the ignition switch was the problem. We barely got a single mile before this last breakdown. They wanted the truck back where it has been the last three weeks. They drive it around their property intermittently everyday trying to get it to fail. It won't.
As for the grinding sound I mentioned, the engine is not turning over. Not sure how long a wait before the engine would restart because we wanted the repair shop to have the best shot at diagnosing the problem.
A grinding sound seems like it would have to be the starter. Can you get the shop to read the Diagnostic Codes and relay them to us?

Nick

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
1,223 Posts
Thanks for your quick replys. Following the last breakdown, the truck was hauled back to a very reputable repair shop where we had sought to get the truck fixed. They had determined that the ignition switch was the problem. We barely got a single mile before this last breakdown. They wanted the truck back where it has been the last three weeks. They drive it around their property intermittently everyday trying to get it to fail. It won't. Becoming frustrated, we thought we would just tell them to fix everything so we could get our truck back and be confident with it again.

Did not put in new relays. I must admit that I not much of a mechanic and usually rely on qualified work to be sure it is done properly. Thanks again for your help.
Has anyone checked the battery cables for tightness, good connection of the negative cable at the body and chassis? I wonder if the grinding sound is the starter solenoid chattering due to low intermittent voltage? Worth a look, as this is a known problem.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Agree with Tuckerred,
Question?: Was the battery replaced in an attempt to repair the stalling? Or could it be the cause? The repair list includes maintenance as well and repair attempts. Was the fuse box repair made to correct previous stalling? The check engine code could be helpful, someone here will get it worked out! Wish you the best!

Reactions: richsadams

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
4,393 Posts
@Stealth
If it's at a good shop I am sure they could tell you any code numbers that were set in history of ECM. This would help if any are indeed stored.

Additionally, I worry there may be some confusion on terminology.
You say "engine won't turn over" does this mean when trying to restart, the engine will not crank (spin with starter) or it won't fire up and run?

In the many years dealing with customers and complaints from their descriptions I have heard lots of confusion on this. I usually ask questions to be sure we are communicating properly. I try to avoid the phrase "Engine will not turn over". Instead the terms crank (engine spinning) and start (engine running) are preferred.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We want to thank everyone for their comments, it is deeply appreciated. The rebuild of the fuse block was an attempt to stay ahead of potential future problems. Battery replacement was maintenance, it was due. The starter and solenoid were replaced in response to our current problem but also realizing that these parts are getting older and might likely need replacement in the future anyway.

Thank you Autoprof for your clarification; after suddenly quitting, the engine makes an odd grinding sound but does not crank.

We will install/implement every recommendation offered here. Thanks again!

·
SSR Believer
3,623 Posts
@Stealth, being able to hear the odd grinding sound might help the experts better diagnose that part of the equation. If you create a video with your phone I'd be happy to help you upload it and post it here. Just send me a conversation if I can be of service.

FWIW our '05 has exhibited an odd starting problem recently. I haven't been able to capture it on video yet and it doesn't sound like it's the same issue, but I'm just curious what yours is doing to see if there are any similarities. So I have a little selfish interest in the outcome. ;)

BTW, you're in excellent hands here. They should help you get it sorted out. (y)

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Stealth,
The starter noise you describe could be the starter buzzing from low current supply, suggesting battery cable issues, battery, or bad new starter. If the truck wasn't stalling before the battery replacement and fuse box modify,? it may be a man-made problem from changing the battery, poor battery supply/connection causing the stall. Wish you and your shop good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts