Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Found a leak around the clamp on the hydraulic fluid reservoir on the raffle truck. Tried to tighten but it didn't stop it. Took it apart, found all this gunk in the bottom, cleaned it up, put silicone around it, put back together tighten it down will fill up with fluid tomorrow. Just wanted to show pictures of the gunk. Maybe a good idea when you rebuild your cylinders take the reservoir off and clean it. I know it can be a real pain in the butt but maybe worth it.

Attachments

Super Road Rocket Pilot
Goodness, all that junk floating around in the hydraulic cylinders cannot be good. Either the oil is breaking down and a good flush will help, or quite a few of your seals are breaking down and will soon start leaking. Hopefully not the latter, but it is probably a good idea to flush out the system now and then like brakes, transmission, etc to keep the fluid and it's preventative properties in place.

It has been something I have thought about and done on occasion to mine. Maybe every 5 years or so get a turkey baster or other fluid removing tool with a tube and suck the old oil out and put in some new fresh replacement. Having 16 year old oil in a critical system is not good.

Chevy part numbers for the fluid are 89022748 and 88865214. You can also use FeBi 02615 (Mercedes, BMW, Porcshe) approved fluids. Mercedes-Benz A 000 989 91 03 (available at Mercedes dealers)
Pentosin CHF-11S (available in parts stores)
Univis HVI 26 (Cadillac XLR and Corvette C6)
Saab 93165227
BMW 54340394395
Hoerbiger HB92952-215

Good luck on the leak!

馃憠 Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo, etc
Custom Billet Accessories - Shift adapter, letters, satin/polished, etc

Registered
A fresh fluid swap is a good idea for these systems. Everything we can do to postpone a system rebuild is money well spent.

SSR Pit Crew
I have posted about reservoirs and they don't make them anymore. But I do.

Had them 3D produced, not cheap but high quality and more important they "work".

Look up ROOF RESERVOIRS

Take care in removing brass bolt, twisting can cause reservoir to "crack" NOW you have a leak!

Replacing oil fill brass bolt needs to be only hand tight.

Suggest small bead of Silicone Caulk around inside end of reservoir before sliding on. Tighten clamp with hand tool, do not over tighten! To tight can/will cause leak.

Reuse "O" ring and brass bolt.

NEW "O" ring with new reservoir.

Dicktator

Attachments

SSR Pit Crew
I just ordered the Pentosin CHF-11S from Amazon to replace the old oil in the reservoir. Hopefully no major issues getting into the top well to perform the job.

Dave

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
I just ordered the Pentosin CHF-11S from Amazon to replace the old oil in the reservoir. Hopefully no major issues getting into the top well to perform the job.

Dave
$20.00 at Auto zone here in Murfreesboro. Here is what I did. Raise tonneau cover. Mark latch on drivers side so you get it in right position when reinstalling. Removing it let's you get into area with out scratching back. If cover over pump has not been removed it is held on by zip tie, cut it and remove cover. Probably won't be able to put it back on. Use paint tray to collect oil. Use 7mm socket to loosen clamp. Slightly twist reservoir and it should slide right off. When reinstalling put silicone around the lip of the reservoir to get it between the notches. It's best to have inspection mirror to make sure you have it in place when reinstalling. I did not remove O ring for fear of not getting right size. Someone will probably chime in with different procedure, but this is what I done for the 2 I've done. Good luck.

SSR Pit Crew
Thanks SWT RYD. It's a little intimidating just because it's hard to get at it along with not wanting to screw anything up and have a leak (or worse) afterwards. Once I get the new fluid I'll take the information you've provided and give it a go.

My dad got me a keychain once that was imprinted with "If it ain't broke don't fix it", but I think in this case it's better to be a little proactive and possibly prolong the life of the top actuators.

Dave

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks SWT RYD. It's a little intimidating just because it's hard to get at it along with not wanting to screw anything up and have a leak (or worse) afterwards. Once I get the new fluid I'll take the information you've provided and give it a go.

My dad got me a keychain once that was imprinted with "If it ain't broke don't fix it", but I think in this case it's better to be a little proactive and possibly prolong the life of the top actuators.

Dave
I dought that you will find anyone who has changed there hyd fluid in top cylinders as part of preventive maintenance. I did mine because of leaks, not containmented fluid. You would have to do the reservoir removal procedure three or four times after filling reservoir, running cylinders, to get all the contaminated oil out. I did original post just to suggest cleaning the reservoir when you do the cylinders. Just my opinion. I'm no expert on the matter but I did stay at a Holiday inn Express a couple times.LOL

SSR Pit Crew
I haven't even given the reservoir a good look to determine any issues with the fluid. My first thought in doing this was to attempt to suction out the reservoir (somehow) as many times as I could based on the amount of fluid that I have. We'll see, no rush on the project so more thinking to follow.
Thanks.
Dave

Super Road Rocket Pilot
I dought that you will find anyone who has changed there hyd fluid in top cylinders as part of preventive maintenance. I did mine because of leaks, not containmented fluid. You would have to do the reservoir removal procedure three or four times after filling reservoir, running cylinders, to get all the contaminated oil out. I did original post just to suggest cleaning the reservoir when you do the cylinders. Just my opinion. I'm no expert on the matter but I did stay at a Holiday inn Express a couple times.LOL

Ahhhhhhh, I do..... It is just like a transmission fluid swap without a full flush. You are correct in that it does not take out all the bad fluid, but if you do it every few years it should keep the fluid much better than all old and worn out. I would not take the canister off due to possible damage, I would just stick a tube down there and suck it out to get all the old fluid out of the container and most of the bits and dirt. If you wanted to get more of the bad oil out you could drain and fill, actuate the top a few times and drain and fill again. I would not do it more than 2 times as it is a small system.

I drain and refill the trans every 2-3 years or so, it is not like a full flush but you are doing the trans a favor and sometimes you can feel that it shifts better. Last week I did a brake pad replacement on a friends 2004 Silverado with 120k on it, he had never flushed the brakes. The crap that was coming out of the lines was amazing, I had not seen anything that bad in a long time and it took quite awhile to get it to run clear again.

Never a bad idea to baby your toy to keep it going, the $15 you spend now could save you a few thousand later.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12
Ahhhhhhh, I do..... It is just like a transmission fluid swap without a full flush. You are correct in that it does not take out all the bad fluid, but if you do it every few years it should keep the fluid much better than all old and worn out. I would not take the canister off due to possible damage, I would just stick a tube down there and suck it out to get all the old fluid out of the container and most of the bits and dirt. If you wanted to get more of the bad oil out you could drain and fill, actuate the top a few times and drain and fill again. I would not do it more than 2 times as it is a small system.

I drain and refill the trans every 2-3 years or so, it is not like a full flush but you are doing the trans a favor and sometimes you can feel that it shifts better. Last week I did a brake pad replacement on a friends 2004 Silverado with 120k on it, he had never flushed the brakes. The crap that was coming out of the lines was amazing, I had not seen anything that bad in a long time and it took quite awhile to get it to run clear again.

Never a bad idea to baby your toy to keep it going, the $15 you spend now could save you a few thousand later.
Ok Mike, maybe a few do it, but I'll bet you us older guys with big bellies don't do it on a regular basis. LOL Thanks for your input.

Tech Support/Research
Following up on Dragon2U's suggestion, take your cue on how far to proceed with the replacement or flushing of the hydraulic fluid based on the condition of the fluid sucked out of the reservoir. If it is highly contaminated, that would warrant a more aggressive and complete effort than if the fluid is just mildly discolored.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #15
Another factor would be how many times do you raise and lower your top. Some of these Garage Queens probably have fluid like it was brand new. This raffle truck came from Hawaii, top was probably raised and lowered lots of time

Super Road Rocket Pilot
Another factor would be how many times do you raise and lower your top. Some of these Garage Queens probably have fluid like it was brand new. This raffle truck came from Hawaii, top was probably raised and lowered lots of time
Well, most fluids do have a shelf life even if not printed on the container. Many fluids are also mixed with special additives. Just sitting over an extended period of time additives can settle and congeal. In an unsealed environment, hot and moist climates, or even extreme cold, there is a good chance that the fluids are pulling in moisture around from the air and causing it to fail before you would think.

Premium Member
Well, most fluids do have a shelf life even if not printed on the container. Many fluids are also mixed with special additives. Just sitting over an extended period of time additives can settle and congeal. In an unsealed environment, hot and moist climates, or even extreme cold, there is a good chance that the fluids are pulling in moisture around from the air and causing it to fail before you would think.
:rolleyes:

Registered
A good source for the small bottles like in post #6 is a beauty supply store. They also have them with different tips or ends on them. See it was a good thing when my wife drug me in there kicking and screaming while having to go shopping with her. I found something I could use on my truck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts