Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #21
A good source for the small bottles like in post #6 is a beauty supply store. They also have them with different tips or ends on them. See it was a good thing when my wife drug me in there kicking and screaming while having to go shopping with her. I found something I could use on my truck.
Did you get anything for your hair while you were in there.????馃榿馃榿馃榿

Registered
Did you get anything for your hair while you were in there.????馃榿馃榿馃榿
No but I did find some other stuff that I can use for car stuff. Those make up brushes are really nice and in a lot of different sizes. They have big spray bottles that would be good for cleaners. And some of those hair dryers they have are better than using a heat gun. And the best kept secret in there, the girls who work there were good looking. Glad my wife was over on the other side of the store while I looked around. o_O

SSR Pit Crew
I thinking now I may use my manual pump brake fluid bleeder, attach a rod to the suction tube to keep it straight and firm and put it in the fill port and suction the fluid. If you're careful and place absorbent material around the area it should be a fairly clean and tidy process (hopefully).

Dave

Premium Member
I thinking now I may use my manual pump brake fluid bleeder, attach a rod to the suction tube to keep it straight and firm and put it in the fill port and suction the fluid. If you're careful and place absorbent material around the area it should be a fairly clean and tidy process (hopefully).

Dave
Dave, that's what I used when I changed mine. I have a MightyVac Bleeder and used that to suck out the reservoir then removed the reservoir , cleaned it out refilled, then repeated it a few weeks later . Fluid was dirty again. Only problem with that is my hand cramps up pumping that damn bleeder.
Later when I changed my main lift cylinders the hyd. pump body got hot from cycling the top to purge the system and the reservoir leaked. The fluid was not too bad so two flushes did the trick.
The reservoir melted under the clamp gearbox and leaked. I was able to shave down the ridge on the inside of the reservoir, put in a new o-ring and its been fine since. I have repaired two other SSRs the same way that had the same issue.
Greg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #25
Dave, that's what I used when I changed mine. I have a MightyVac Bleeder and used that to suck out the reservoir then removed the reservoir , cleaned it out refilled, then repeated it a few weeks later . Fluid was dirty again. Only problem with that is my hand cramps up pumping that damn bleeder.
Later when I changed my main lift cylinders the hyd. pump body got hot from cycling the top to purge the system and the reservoir leaked. The fluid was not too bad so two flushes did the trick.
The reservoir melted under the clamp gearbox and leaked. I was able to shave down the ridge on the inside of the reservoir, put in a new o-ring and its been fine since. I have repaired two other SSRs the same way that had the same issue.
Greg
Greg, just curious where did you get O-ring. Didn't remove mine. But in case I need one.

Premium Member
Got one from Dictator and I had two nitrile ones that matched close. I'll ask Dick where he sourced his this weekend.

SSR Pit Crew
I jumped into changing out the fluid in the top hydraulic reservoir and found the job not quite as intimidating as I thought it would be. The fill port was a little smaller than I remembered but other than that not bad. The fluid was fairly clean looking but did have "wisps" of black residue with no rubber or metal particles visually present. I'll probably wait a few weeks and drain and fill the reservoir again.

Dave

My First Permagrin !
Hi Everyone .
I changed out the top fluid last week .
I had the fluid on the shelf and never got around to it till now .
i used a large syringe and some medical tubing to suck it out.
Same to put it back in .
I wish I would鈥檝e done it sooner .
I will repeat this again in a few weeks .
Pic 1 old fluid
Pic 2 new fluid

7B162D29-5F1A-4FEF-BF14-2701F651C180.jpeg
C29F5618-4391-4E73-8EBF-BA7DE9AEBA18.jpeg
7B162D29-5F1A-4FEF-BF14-2701F651C180.jpeg

21 - 28 of 28 Posts