Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago... In a galaxy far away. (I couldn't resist)

There were a number of posts about road noise filtering up out of the holes surrounding the roof linkages. Some had resorted to stuffing the holes with small pillows.

After a recent visit under my SSR while it was on the rack, I noticed, there is a hook that is welded to the floor of the truck another is welded to the exhause pipe behind the muffler. The two hooks are joined via a rubber connector.

The hook welded to the truck floor is near the partition between the cargo bay and the roof bay.

After making some adjustments to my aftermarket exhaust the rubber connector was stretched tighter than it had been before. Coincident with this, I have noticed the road noise, at freeway speeds, has increased. For me this noise noticable at 70-75mph and if I'm listening for it as low a ~55mph. It happens during a steady cruse. Kicking off the cruse and letting it coast eliminates the noise.

I'm thinking that by streatching the rubber part, I have inadvertntly created something like a tin can telephone. The muffler is one can. The rubber part is the string, and the sheet metal of the floor, and partition wall is the other can.

Prior the making the adjustment, all of the exhaust hangers were reletively unstressed. They were just supporting the exhaust, nothing more. That, in my book is as it should be.

So for those who are hearing excessive noise from the exhaust, maybe a look at how they'er hanging is in order. Particularly the hanger that is welded to the floor of the truck, just behind the muffler.

·
OP
8,250 Posts
Very interesting.
What have we learned here? Leave well enough alone :)
You could probably add more rubber to try and dampen it, perhaps wrapping the bracket totally in rubber.
GOOD LUCK!......I yelled so you could hear me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
you think lubbock is flat driving thru you ought to live there, man i do not miss that wind. they do have nice sunsets though... the dirt in the air adds a nice color to the sky.

·
OP
8,250 Posts
How flat is it?

West Texas is so Flat that if you stand in the middle of the highway and look west, you can see the back of your own head... :leaving

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Texas, Flat? Not the parts I saw. Sure there wern't any mountains in the distance, but it wasn't flat.

Without air recon. You could hide several armies in the landscape around Amarillo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts