Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
i am an aussie who is desperate to get an ssr, and hopefully convert it to right hand drive, and idea's as to where to start the process? any suggestions as to whether this is even possibile?
thanks champions!
Ian (the jealous aussie!)

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Just a starter,
You must pay all the applicable taxes before you can take it out of the country. Then once you take to your country, your SSR will never be warranteed outside North America, so if you have any problems, which you will, you will be out of luck unless you are very rich. This is all before thinking about the right-hand drive.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have a number of a man in australia that imports americian cars and does right hand conversions I will try to remember to get it at my office tomorrow

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah ive actually riden in the ss ute- pretty nice ride, nice taut suspension, good kick and they look fantastic in the flesh, some of the new colour schemes are great!

HD-Fatboy said:
Hey Ian,
Have you seen the Holden SS Ute? How are they?

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Hi Ian,
Did you end up getting an SSR here in Aus?? Looking myself at the moment - I know you were looking in 2004. ANy help would be appreciated.

Mark

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
As best as I can recall, someone has done a conversion on at least one vehicle in Australia. We should have documentation on this site.

·
Registered
337 Posts
didnt say what part of australia your from if your near sydney you can try robey motor works talk to alex 693 1866 I sell them parts and they used to do conversions good luck

·
Registered
186 Posts
excuse my naivete but.......

isn't it just a waste of money to convert a vehicle (especially one like the SSR)? What would be the sense in that? You can drive a left hand drive just as easily as a right hand drive couldn't you? I mean, the road doesn't know the difference....it's strictly a mental thing you'd have to adjust to.....unless there were laws prohibiting it, which I doubt there are. Then again, maybe it's just like a customization thing, for brag factor?.?.?.:confused

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Right hand drive

Only cars over 30 years old can remain as left hand drives here in Australia. So that is fine if you want to bring in an old Corvette, Mustang or whatever.
Don't know what the laws in UK and Europe are - they are probably lucky enough to be able to keep as left hand drive. I think years ago you could bring them in and keep them as L/H drive if you belonged to a club and only drove them a couple of times per month. Now all changed. Probably so that we keep the dollars at home.
We have two PT Cruisers but they were import models so already converted...
Looked for any Aussies in the members area but could not find any.

We are eagerly looking at buying an SSR but need to find out the conversion details first.

Cheers,

Fiona & Mark :seeya

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
R/Hand Drive

frank belk said:
didnt say what part of australia your from if your near sydney you can try robey motor works talk to alex 693 1866 I sell them parts and they used to do conversions good luck
Cheers Frank,

We are in Townsville, far north Queensland so at least on same side of the country. Will give him a call.

Fiona & Mark

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
R/Hand Drive

turnheadz said:
Vavoom - maybe this will help you see it more clearly :glol
Yeah, that's heaps better. I can see clearly now.
:jester

I am equally at home driving left hand on the WRONG side of the road which is RIGHT to you. Wish I could leave it as a L/Hand Drive - would save all the problems and a bucket load of money. How much I would love to own an SSR. The investigations are ongoing to meet this end. :banghead

Mark & Fiona

1 - 16 of 16 Posts