Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, Our 2006 SSR right side window moves down when opening the door, but it goes back up before the door can be closed. The timing is off. Is there a fix for this?

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
EDIT Engine must be running.

More then likely a problem in the door latch assembly
There is a small switch in there telling the module that the door has been closed when it really hasn't been and the module responds by rolling the window up.
If you are in the drivers seat with door closed and key in the on position and engine RUNNING after all the normal opening displays on instrument cluster, watch the driver information center on the dash as you open the passenger (right) side door and then leave it open until window moves back up.
I would bet it will indicate passenger door open as the door is opened and then near the same time the window rolls up - the passenger door open display disappears.
Realize it could be wiring but the common failure is one of the switches in the latch assembly. I can provide you with wiring diagrams and testing information if you have that interest or capability.
The problem is the latches are no longer available but I believe there are a couple of people on this site that can rebuild them. I am sure they will reply soon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More then likely a problem in the door latch assembly
There is a small switch in there telling the module that the door has been closed when it really hasn't been and the module responds by rolling the window up.
If you are in the drivers seat with door closed and key in the on position and engine off, after all the normal opening displays on instrument cluster, watch the driver information center on the dash as you open the passenger (right) side door and then leave it open until window moves back up.
I would bet it will indicate passenger door open as the door is opened and then near the same time the window rolls up - the passenger door open display disappears.
Realize it could be siring but the common failure is one of the switches in the latch assembly. I can provide you with wiring diagrams and testing information if you have that interest or capability.
The problem is the latches are no longer available but I believe there are a couple of people on this site that can rebuild them. I am sure they will reply soon
Thanks I will check that out, Tim

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
@Tim And Melinda I failed to mention that the results I described may not show up on the DIC if the window rolls back up TOO soon after door is open. It takes time for the display to update. Try watching the DIC while opening and closing the drivers door to get an idea of what would occur and how long it takes to recognize AND display door is opened and closed.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I also edited the first post after having an opportunity to try on my own. The engine MUST be running for the DIC to warn of an open door.
SORRY, I never really tried to determine if the engine had to be running or not. I just got home and I tried it. No warning for either door engine off, warning for either door is displayed if engine is running.
I learned a new thing. 😁

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,941 Posts
Help, Our 2006 SSR right side window moves down when opening the door, but it goes back up before the door can be closed. The timing is off. Is there a fix for this?
Have you tried resetting the windows like it says in the owners manual? It may fix your problem. Just a guess.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
5,848 Posts
Here is a write up I did some time ago to show what the problem is and how to fix it if you are so inclined. There is a very very small chance it could be as Autoprof noted, a wiring issue, 99% of the time it is moisture that corrodes the internals and causes the signal not to go when and where it should with the position of the handle.

f you click the link below it will include pictures and more information.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,625 Posts
You may be able to TEMPORARILY fix the issue by spraying with dry lube into the door latch area and from the top, down into the door lock. This has worked for me in the past, but again, it is not a permanent fix.

Dave

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
My driver door does this sometimes too. I just gotta belly up and take the door apart and fix it. It's interesting that when I was young I would jump right into these types of repairs. Now that I'm older, it takes me more time to gear up for it. Getting old sucks.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,747 Posts
Door Latch/Lock Modules are getting OLD! And they don't make them anymore.

Dorman makes one that needs to be modified to work on SSR but only LEFT Drivers side, NO RIGHT side.

I have repaired SSR Door Latch/Lock Modules in stock, Right and Left.

I do exchange: Send me your bad unit, I send repaired unit back same day. Include $50 for parts/labor/postage.

I take PayPal:

Removal instructions on my SSR HOW TO LIBRARY: Look up DOOR LATCH LOCK MODULE

That said, you could have broken wire in harness. I DID!

Dicktator

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your help. The cleaner did fix it for now. I will have to remove the handle and have it rebuild this winter after we park the car. Thanks again.
Tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts