Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much thought and inquiry here on Fanatics I made the decision to paint the barrels of my "R"s rims, as the barrels were showing some pitting through the sub-chrome beneath the gray paint. It wasn't as scary as I had anticipated and I think it went well. Took advantage of the situation and cleaned and repainted the rotors and caliper carriers w/900 degree VHT black. The paint used on the wheels is quite expensive, but youget what you pay for. Two coats were applied by foam brush 30 minutes apart as per instructions. If you use this paint you will definitely destroy the lid trying to get it off, so have another can or jar ready to putt what's left in. After two coats on all the wheels I still had 3/4 of the can left, could be doing some engine components next. This paint is guaranteed never to peel, crack, or chip. Attached are a few photo's taken during and after the process.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few tips learned. Stir well between apps, apply thin, you will realize how runny the paint is. And I guess I should have started with, prep is important, Wash the surface thoroughly, I used P100 3M wet plastic backed sanding sheets and concentrated on the inside edges behind the face and around the stick on weights. My rubber is nearly new so I painted over the weights. When the time comes to replace or re balance the tires I will take a razor blade and cut around the weights then clean and repaint the affected area, others may choose to remove the weights. Use rubber gloves unless you like your fingers and hands painted for a week. I don't want to complicate things too much but if I had it to do over again I would make up something to allow me to spin the wheel slowly while applying the paint. This paint comes in various colors and also in flat satin and gloss, so make sure they give you the right stuff.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,562 Posts
Clivey, thanks so much for the pics and step by step instructions. Looks like you did a fine job and the results surely show it---they look really nice!! :smile2:

=============
David :black:

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,284 Posts
You may want to check the can regarding top-coating and UV. Although the backside of the wheels do not get much exposure to the sun, they do get some. Previously POR-15 did not contain additives to prevent UV break down and thus required top-coating when used in applications with any sun exposure. Otherwise, looks great.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes River_Rat, It mentions UV on the can, but I don't think the "R" will be spending a lot of time baking in the hot sun, but I will keep an eye on it. Easy fix to blast it with a clear coat if necessary... thanx for mentioning.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Looks nice, did that to my other cars chrome wheels. Wished I would of got the backside of the wheel smoothed and plated

·
Premium Member
6,473 Posts
A few tips learned. Stir well between apps, apply thin, you will realize how runny the paint is. And I guess I should have started with, prep is important, Wash the surface thoroughly, I used P100 3M wet plastic backed sanding sheets and concentrated on the inside edges behind the face and around the stick on weights. My rubber is nearly new so I painted over the weights. When the time comes to replace or re balance the tires I will take a razor blade and cut around the weights then clean and repaint the affected area, others may choose to remove the weights. Use rubber gloves unless you like your fingers and hands painted for a week. I don't want to complicate things too much but if I had it to do over again I would make up something to allow me to spin the wheel slowly while applying the paint. This paint comes in various colors and also in flat satin and gloss, so make sure they give you the right stuff.
Clivey. ,Next time you go by a Harbor Freight, pick up a Motorcycle Wheel Cleaning stand. Got mine for 15.99. Also recommend a wheel coating. Makes it easy to clean and protects from brake dust and road grime. Looks good

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,014 Posts
POR15 is great stuff. Mine son and I rebuilt a 50 Chevy pickup when he was in high school. We started painting the frame with a brush with POR15 and it was a mess. I ordered a cheap spray gun from Harbor Freight, we covered the driveway with painters plastic, suited up and sprayed the frame and running boards. Threw away the gun after because can’t clean that stuff up once it starts to set. Looked like glass and just as hard. Truck sat outside all the time for a year and a half and the running boards still looked like glass.

Reactions: Gr8XLr8r
1 - 11 of 11 Posts