Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question, if I'm driving around 40 and happen to hit a Tennessee bump in the road the rear will bounce and sounds like it bottoms out and hits something.
I haven't noticed excessive bounce like worn out shocks and shocks are not leaking that I can tell.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,146 Posts
Springs support the weight, the shocks dampen the bounce. I would look at the shocks first. Also look at the rear stabilizer bar and see if the bushings are showing wearing in it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hey Butch06 when your under there check out your bump stops they might be deteriorated to the point where they are not working. Had a bad one on my 04 with only 35,000 miles on it, not that expensive to replace.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,
Does anyone know the correct replacement rear shocks for a 2005 with manual trans. GM p/n 15209863
One website said the auto trans P/N is different. These are Bilstein shocks with the number "A9E" on them.
Thanks

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,105 Posts
Hello,
Does anyone know the correct replacement rear shocks for a 2005 with manual trans. GM p/n 15209863
One website said the auto trans P/N is different. These are Bilstein shocks with the number "A9E" on them.
Thanks
Yes, I have a pair of the original 15209863 shocks in the OEM boxes. Yes, they are only for the 6-speed SSR. I do have a very suitable, more generic, Bilstein replacement available in my web store. The replacements in my web store have a fatter body with very nice damping. They work well with both the automatics and 6-speed axles. I will sell the OEM ones to you if you MUST have them. They are $150 each, plus shipping.

For those that wonder..... The reason GM created the ones for the 6 speed is because of the difference in unsprung weight....... the rear axle for the 6-speed truck weighs about 80 pounds more than the Torsen axle in the automatics.

Regards,

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts