Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 #3208 and it seems like I have alot of road noise coming from maybe behind the drivers seat on the left side of the veicle. Sounds like all the tire noise being generated off the left rear tire funnels up in the cab.Do any others of you have the same problem and if so is there a cure for this? Being a passenger on the right side I don't think notice it as much. Thanks for any comments...

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Yea I kinda have the same thing on my 05 in back of the passenger seat. almost has the sound of a window cracked open but not quite that loud. Think its just the nature of the beast.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
Noise Source

If you open the Tonneau with the top up, you can find the two 4" x 5" cabin vent valves. It's the standard GM soft rubber flapper on the outside of a grate. The black plastic grate is on each side at the bottom of the top well. The exit area dumps out into the fender cavity area in front of the rear wheel. You can find this also by crawling under and searching for the rectangular hole..... but really hard to see in there.

I understand there is a TSB on this that installs some baffle material in the cavity outside of the flapper. Don't know the number, but reports have been that it makes a little difference, but is a difficult install for the tech. I may do this on mine in the future, as it is a daily driver with freeway miles and a lot of rear tire noise.....

Hope this helps,

Happy New Year,

Mikey

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Ricochet said:
Yea I kinda have the same thing on my 05 in back of the passenger seat. almost has the sound of a window cracked open but not quite that loud. Think its just the nature of the beast.
:agree
My 05 also has road noise from the passenger side. At first I thought it was a air leak from my window seal. No whisles but just the tire noise.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
shintajay said:
:agree
My 05 also has road noise from the passenger side. At first I thought it was a air leak from my window seal. No whisles but just the tire noise.
Mine (2003#00475) too on the passenger side only.

My wife can't hear me mumble remarks about her under my breath so i'll leave it like that! lol..lol..

·
Registered
893 Posts
Road noise....I have some too......but, well, then, I have a 2005.......I have had these vents out.......So I know what there like.......Thats how I installed the brake scoops.........Man what a job..........thats why I'm not going to sell them....I don't think to many people would want to go to the trouble.....I working in this compartment........and the road noise that comes out of it...( It's like being inside a bass drum)...I have thought about installing some dynamat......to see if this would help.....I sure don't think it would hurt......with a nice thick 2" soft water resistant foam in the bottom of the top well.....we'll see what we will see.......A little sound dampning sure wouldn't hurt........:seeya

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
WindsuppreSSR Helps Block Road Noise

One of the Features of the WindsuppreSSR besides buffetting the rear wind with the top down, when the top is up it puts a 3/8 inch thick plastic shield between you and the hollow area that the top drops in. It does help to cut down on that road noise that comes from behind you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies and advice. Good to hear it just ain't mine but on the other hand I hate to see others with the same problems. I will look in the compartment with the door up and see if I can come up with something with the vent valves. If one side does not make noise and the other does it makes some sense to me to see if I can see a difference between the two if indeed it is the vent valves. Sounds like a nice place to start. Let you know if I come up with a solution.. Thanks

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Well, I dont think in going to screw with mine. It seems like we all have it somewhere. I just cant imagine taking it to my Chevy dealer that most likly sold a grand total of 4 or 5 of them and having them screw with the roof or seals and having taking stuff apart back there. NO WAY.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
If you want to hear road noise ride in the vette, then ride in the SSR . I will take the SSR any day over the vette!! I think I remember some people putting a small pillow behind on the shelf (with top up) and this helped.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
there is a bulletin for this concern it is 05-08-58-002. a piece of foam is installed behind the air vents in the roof storage compartment. I have done it to me SSR and it does help alittle but the noise won't completly go away. If anyone has the bulletin done I have found out that the way GM wants the foam installed is very hard to do, I now install the foam be removing the air vents and then put the foam through the opening, it's much easier than going through the fenders.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
Thanks WingRider

I thought it was you that had tried it. I am curious about the texture of the material installed..... is it porous enough to trap the high frquency sound coming from the tires or is it a closed cell foam that acts as a damper only?

I am also thinking that we could put some "egg-carton" sound attenuating foam on the inside of the side walls of the top compartment. We use it in the control rooms for our engine test cells with great success.

Regards,

Mike

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
YOU WANT QUIET BUY A CAD THIS IS A TRUCK

·
Registered
153 Posts
2+2=4

crazyrtr53 said:
YOU WANT QUIET BUY A CAD THIS IS A TRUCK
:agree :agree :agree Trucks and Roadsters should bouth be noisy. When you put bouth in to one........you enjoy the road and all that comes with it:ssr

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
I thought it was you that had tried it. I am curious about the texture of the material installed..... is it porous enough to trap the high frquency sound coming from the tires or is it a closed cell foam that acts as a damper only?

I am also thinking that we could put some "egg-carton" sound attenuating foam on the inside of the side walls of the top compartment. We use it in the control rooms for our engine test cells with great success.

Regards,

Mike
The foam is very high density about 6" by 4" by 1.5" thick with a peel and stick surface on one side.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts