Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I finally had to put the top up (Central CA. for the last 6 months), I feel there is some road noise getting into the cockpit. It may be tire noise or the lack of soundproofing the storage area. Anyone else feel this way? :flag

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Echo chamber

That's been my feeling ever since I got my SSR. With the top up you've got a big empty space with no soundproofing and it acts as an echo chamber for any road noise. I closed off the open areas around the rear window and it helped quite a bit but it's a hassle to remove everytime you want to put the top down.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you want quiet get a high end sedan turn up the radio and ENJOY

·
Registered
277 Posts
Noise? What noise? I've worked in a high speed brewery for the last twenty-five years. The SSR is a quiet enviroment compared to that, but at high speed, I don't run with the top down very often..

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Noise

I have noticed some small wind noises from the rear from time to time also an occasional squeek or two that seems to come and go. Other than that it has been quite quiet. :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah most of that road noise you hear comes from the openings in the tonneau cover storage cover right behind the driver and passengers head..... We have been carrying two folded up sweat shirts that we stuff into those openings when the top is up and we are on the highway... Helps a great deal.....

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
good use for the car cover

I stuff my car cover in the chamber when the top is up. Its the perfect place for it and I feel it lessens the noise.
I also thought about putting a thick quilted padding(yellow of course) over the area behind the seats as an added sound barrier (velcro attached)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just what is the area you refer to as "the chamber"? Is this the area behind the seats, or the area where the top is stored?
Ken

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Still not clear, is this the area where the compressor is stored or the area where the top is stored? The OR is one or the other. How do you go about stuffing these things in there, when the top is going up?

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Storing in the top recess

Yes, he's talking about the space where the top is stored when it is down. Just put the top up and take your finger off the button before the cover comes down.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
secret storage space

I thought everyone knew! The space is so big you can smuggle a pretty senorita :reddevil if you must or few cases of :rolleyes: taquilas across the border.......... :flag

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ok, sorry about the misleading information... The area that allows all the noice in the cockpit (cabin, if you prefer) is the area right behind the driver and passengers head in the corner. There is an opening in which the support mechanism for the top recedes when you put the top down. When you have the top up all the noise from down in the top storage area comes up through those openings. Like I said, put a sweat shirt in and over each of the openings and you will be suprised how much quieter it is inside... Just remember to remove them BEFORE you put the top down or you will not be a happy camper!

Hope this clears it up....

It would be nice if someone could design something that would fit those openings that would allow the top to go down and back up with destroying them.... OR, it would have been nice if GM would have put more sound deadening material in the top storage area!

Try it, you'll like it!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Rainwater: I just might try the additional sound deadening material in the top storage area. I just don't like the idea of having to remember to remove the material BEFORE I can lower the top.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nomadkenn said:
Thanks Rainwater: I just might try the additional sound deadening material in the top storage area. I just don't like the idea of having to remember to remove the material BEFORE I can lower the top.
Good luck getting something in there that doesn't interfere with the top retraction! There is some 3M material on the market that you can cut and stick inside the area... Someone in another thread said they already did that but it did not help.... That area where the top stores is a sound chamber once the top is up, transmitting noise right up by your head! If you come up with a sticky solution please let me know!

Thanks,

·
Registered
62 Posts
ron dickson

hello fellow ssr owners, thought i would take a moment to describe what i have done to combat this problem. when i took delivery in los angles on 1/4/04 this year i was so excited that it took a week or so for me to realize just how noisy this car was with the roof up. the first thing i did was stuff a towel in the passinger side which in my car[vin #1422] seems to be much louder than the drivers side. that did the job ,i estimate it reduced the noise 75/80%, but the first time i lowered the roof i forgot it!! depending on where it lands in the well, effects the top down operation. i soon learned to TRY to remember to remove it. then i put dynamat every where in the well {no noticeable effect} then i removed the 2 directional air vents in the well and reversed them{these are black plastic pieces with rubber flapers located on either side of the well}again no effect!! then i removed the rear fender liners and installed dynamat{ again no effect} then i had all of the associated weatherstrips{3} no change!! i have now focased on how best to fill the holes when i'm in the roof up mode.i picked up 2 throw pillows[round], had them coveredwith a black material. i fold them in half put them in the holes, they then fill the space. this still leaves me at age 61 to remember to take them out when it's roof down time!! a side note i got into another ssr[vin # 2284] and it made approx 50/60% less noise than mine with doing nothing?? if any body comes up with a fix please let me know. all of the above being said i love this ride and the wow factor is way over the top. having 525 hp up front helps a lot

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yup same problem I am having! Anything you can stuff in those openings make a whale of a difference.. Like you said though you have to remember to take them out! What did you do to achieve that horsepower?

Steve

·
Registered
62 Posts
ron dickson

answer to prievious post. i have a magnacharger supercharger ported and polished LS6 heads , mild cam for streetability 1 3/4" long tube headers into 3"highflow cats into a magnaflow 3" x-pipe into a flowmaster series 50 dual 3"in/out muffler 3" flowmaster pipes. trans has been replaced with a built 4L65-E and a yank SC3000 convertor. cooling has been handled by a special [BECOOL} dual tube rad, a 04 corvette dual fan/shroud transmission cooling duties were removed from radiator and a b+m plate and fin cooler with a 1300cfm fan installed beside the battery its a very streetable fast enjoyable ride engine idles about 800rpm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts