Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I reduce the very loud road noise in the cockpit. Seems to be from the rear tires, even on a smooth road the roar is so loud whats the use of having a good bose system when you have such an interferince ! Has any one come up with a solution? Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Howard:smash

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,118 Posts
TSB for road noise in air vent

Howard said:
How can I reduce the very loud road noise in the cockpit. Seems to be from the rear tires, even on a smooth road the roar is so loud whats the use of having a good bose system when you have such an interferince ! Has any one come up with a solution? Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Howard:smash
There ia a TSB on this that puts a baffle in the air exit vent at the bottom of the top compartment on each side. Wingrider has experience with this and says it helps cut the noise down. The exit for the vent is through the side of the top compartment and dumps in front of the tire.....

The noise is high frequency and can also be attenuated with acoustical foam. If the TSB does not satisfy your needs you can always take matters into your own hands. A lot of us have. If you are into experimentation, try getting some (looks like the inside of a recording studio) and experiment with placing it in the panels external to the top compartment......

I also just finished lining the inside of my doors with Dynamat. Even my wife commented on the improved sound of the Bose system. It also reduced the 55mph exhaust resonance in the cab.

Good Luck,

Mike

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
There ia a TSB on this that puts a baffle in the air exit vent at the bottom of the top compartment on each side. Wingrider has experience with this and says it helps cut the noise down. The exit for the vent is through the side of the top compartment and dumps in front of the tire.....

The noise is high frequency and can also be attenuated with acoustical foam. If the TSB does not satisfy your needs you can always take matters into your own hands. A lot of us have. If you are into experimentation, try getting some (looks like the inside of a recording studio) and experiment with placing it in the panels external to the top compartment......

I also just finished lining the inside of my doors with Dynamat. Even my wife commented on the improved sound of the Bose system. It also reduced the 55mph exhaust resonance in the cab.

Good Luck,

Mike

Mike,

What is Dynamat and where can it be purchased? Would like to have it on hand prior to doing a stereo upgrade on my new truck. If I like the results I would then go ahead and re-do my other truck. The noise is starting to get to me.

Thanks,

Marc

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,118 Posts
bcbear10 said:
Mike,

What is Dynamat and where can it be purchased? Would like to have it on hand prior to doing a stereo upgrade on my new truck. If I like the results I would then go ahead and re-do my other truck. The noise is starting to get to me.

Thanks,

Marc
Marc,

Do a search on the internet for Dynamat. You will find the company makes a number of products. I chose the "original" material in a bulk pack that had 42 square feet in it. Heavy rubber-type material with adhesive backing. Cost me less than $100, as I shopped for it on Pricegrabber.com to find the best deal. Once I had the part number for the 42 sq ft, it was easy to sort out. You can pay a lot more or you can get cheaper substitutes, but I went the conservative route and stuck to the name brand as cheap as I could find it. I purposely stayed away from e-bay on this one because of the wide variety of part numbers and the possibility of a miscommunication and not getting what I wanted......

I covered the inside of the outer skin of each door panel with two 10" wide strips of material about 42" long. They run the entire length of the door. One above the crash bar and one below. Had to section them a little to get them into the door panel through the access holes. I also put the matting on the inner skin of each door panel in areas that did not interfere with the interior trim panel. Focused on the area adjacent to the speakers.

When I have time, I intend to cover the rear cabin panels across the back of the cab. I'll have to pull the seats, waterfall and carpet to get there and I just don't have time right now. I am also toying with the idea of deadening the rear fenders and side body panel to decrease the transmittal of exhaust drone into the cabin at 55mph. My Magnaflow is great, but it is a little annoying at 55-60 with the top up. I don't think I will need to apply much Dynamat to take the "clang" out of the fenders. Can't hurt, you know.....

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
Marc,

Do a search on the internet for Dynamat. You will find the company makes a number of products. I chose the "original" material in a bulk pack that had 42 square feet in it. Heavy rubber-type material with adhesive backing. Cost me less than $100, as I shopped for it on Pricegrabber.com to find the best deal. Once I had the part number for the 42 sq ft, it was easy to sort out. You can pay a lot more or you can get cheaper substitutes, but I went the conservative route and stuck to the name brand as cheap as I could find it. I purposely stayed away from e-bay on this one because of the wide variety of part numbers and the possibility of a miscommunication and not getting what I wanted......

I covered the inside of the outer skin of each door panel with two 10" wide strips of material about 42" long. They run the entire length of the door. One above the crash bar and one below. Had to section them a little to get them into the door panel through the access holes. I also put the matting on the inner skin of each door panel in areas that did not interfere with the interior trim panel. Focused on the area adjacent to the speakers.

When I have time, I intend to cover the rear cabin panels across the back of the cab. I'll have to pull the seats, waterfall and carpet to get there and I just don't have time right now. I am also toying with the idea of deadening the rear fenders and side body panel to decrease the transmittal of exhaust drone into the cabin at 55mph. My Magnaflow is great, but it is a little annoying at 55-60 with the top up. I don't think I will need to apply much Dynamat to take the "clang" out of the fenders. Can't hurt, you know.....

Regards,

Mike

Mike,

As usual, thanks for the great info. I will be looking to purchase the material for both vehicles. I also have the magnaflow on both vehicles so I know what you mean. On my first truck I aslo have a set of headers. As lonf as I keep my foot off the gas I am ok. Just hit the pedal a bit and that is the end of any conversation.

Thanks again ,

Marc

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,118 Posts
bcbear10 said:
Mike,

As usual, thanks for the great info. I will be looking to purchase the material for both vehicles. I also have the magnaflow on both vehicles so I know what you mean. On my first truck I aslo have a set of headers. As lonf as I keep my foot off the gas I am ok. Just hit the pedal a bit and that is the end of any conversation.

Thanks again ,

Marc
Marc,

I got mine from etronics, web site is:

http://www.etronics.com

I was a little surprised when I just looked, I found the shipping was actually pretty expensive..... but the stuff is really heavy and I guess $25 is not out of line........

I bought the "Dynamat Original Bulk Pak" from them, part number 10155. There is enough in there to do one truck REALLY well or two trucks pretty good. I suggest you go fo the overkill on the one with the headers........ You will really hear a difference.

Good luck,

Mike

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Mike in AZ said:
Marc,

I got mine from etronics, web site is:

http://www.etronics.com

I was a little surprised when I just looked, I found the shipping was actually pretty expensive..... but the stuff is really heavy and I guess $25 is not out of line........

I bought the "Dynamat Original Bulk Pak" from them, part number 10155. There is enough in there to do one truck REALLY well or two trucks pretty good. I suggest you go fo the overkill on the one with the headers........ You will really hear a difference.

Good luck,

Mike

Mike,

Do you feel any difference in the doors when you close them. Every once in a while someone will get out of the pass side and close the door really hard. Everything in my head shakes. Will this help dampen some of this?

Will be ordering material later this week. When we open the doors up for the stereo upgrade and interior make-over, I will want everything ready to go. When this one is completed i will open up the one with the headers and do that one myself. Looks like I better break open the piggy bank. Too bad I cand get a package and one half instead of two. Wont go to waste. Truck # 3 is on the way.

Thanks for the info and site to purchase,

Marc

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,118 Posts
bcbear10 said:
Mike,

Too bad I cand get a package and one half instead of two. Marc
Marc,

I think you should get three trucks out of two packages. I wasted a little in the overlapping inside the doors and am sure that I'll have some left over when I am finished with the rear bulkhead in the passenger compartment. At least enough to put a little inot each rear fender directly above the plastic liner.

The addition of the weight to the doors seems to make them shut a little nicer. My '06 is still pretty tight and seems to need a little more effort with the top up. I know that it shuts with a lot more solid feel than before. I also suspect that someone slamming the door will still make your teeth hurt.

Regards

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Marc & Mike......

Am having my doors dynamat'd tomorrow. Bought 36 sq ft (9 sheets of 4sq ft each)of Xtreme Dynamat on ebay for $92. Shipping from the West Coast was $25. Dynamic Control is the maker and has a web site.

Let you know how it comes out.

P/P

Peace:flag

PS...Just checked etronics price for my purchase..it was $129.95.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I bought the Dynamat also on Ebay, Haven't been brave enough to take the door panels off yet to install........

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Purple Penelope said:
Marc & Mike......

Am having my doors dynamat'd tomorrow. Bought 36 sq ft (9 sheets of 4sq ft each)of Xtreme Dynamat on ebay for $92. Shipping from the West Coast was $25. Dynamic Control is the maker and has a web site.

Let you know how it comes out.

P/P

PS...Just checked etronics price for my purchase..it was $129.95.
He there P/P

Please let me know how it works out. Still have a few week before the stereo and alarm gets installed. They need to order some parts and we don't want to start untill everything is in stock. I am also going to let them do the radar install. Can't stand driving without one. Too much room in the cab to claim my foot got caught. Anyway, that only works one time and it has been used. Shame on me!

That seems to be a good price for the material. Shipping always is a killer. I believe the place Mike gave me is in NY. If that is the case I will see if I can pick it up. Sales tax is cheaper than shipping. Will let you know what I find out.

Regards,

Marc

·
Registered
631 Posts
Dynamat

If you want to avoid shipping $$, check out local electronics stores. I bought mine at Best Buy, and the price was reasonable. Almost any place that does sound equipment, and especially auto audio, will carry it.:thumbs

·
Registered
480 Posts
KySSR said:
I bought the Dynamat also on Ebay, Haven't been brave enough to take the door panels off yet to install........
Hey KYSSR,

I don't know the year of your SSR but you don't have to take the panels off yourself. I complained to the dealer about the vibration in my doors with the radio on and the Bose system sounding like crap. He said that they had no fix for it. I told him about a thread on this site and we could use Dynamat to solve the problem. I told him to call GM. He did and then the service manager said if I bought the Dynamat, they would install it for free. I bought the Regular Dynamat package for two full doors and they did install it and the difference was like night and day. The radio sounds like a high quality system now, the cabin is much quieter and when I close the doors it sounds solid. It took the dealer about two hours to install the Dynamat in both doors and there was hardly any left over. I told them to take the speakers out and then put the dynamat all over the inside of the door panels and then to reinstall the speakers.
They did a superb job. :thumbs It's money will spent. My truck is an 05.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,118 Posts
Joe Schuhriemen said:
Hey KYSSR,

I don't know the year of your SSR but you don't have to take the panels off yourself. I complained to the dealer about the vibration in my doors with the radio on and the Bose system sounding like crap. He said that they had no fix for it. I told him about a thread on this site and we could use Dynamat to solve the problem. I told him to call GM. He did and then the service manager said if I bought the Dynamat, they would install it for free. I bought the Regular Dynamat package for two full doors and they did install it and the difference was like night and day. The radio sounds like a high quality system now, the cabin is much quieter and when I close the doors it sounds solid. It took the dealer about two hours to install the Dynamat in both doors and there was hardly any left over. I told them to take the speakers out and then put the dynamat all over the inside of the door panels and then to reinstall the speakers.
Good work Joe,

I would not have thought of that...... but then engineers never read the instructions either.....:glol :glol

I wish I had known this before I did my own...... oh well...

Great Idea...

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Joe Schuhriemen said:
Hey KYSSR,

He Joe,

What a great idea. I will pay my dealer a visit by the end of the week regarding another problem so I will see if I can get them to do the work on the newer truck since I have not started the stereo upgrade. On the older truck they just might tell me to get lost, but I will try.

Thanks for the tip. BTW - My trucks are also 05.

Marc

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Learned two things from this thread.......Didn't know Best Buy carried dynamat...have a $150 reward zone credit I could have used...and....let the dealer do it for free.

Great input Joe...keep up the good work.

P/P

1 - 19 of 19 Posts