Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I've been wondering for a while now, I've seen a lot of you suggest road trips every so often. My question for those of you that have done road trips,
How many hours can you drive before the seats start to upset your back?
It's a common road trip problem and I'm sure the SSR isn't exempt from it.

·
Premium Member
6,084 Posts
Something I've been wondering for a while now, I've seen a lot of you suggest road trips every so often. My question for those of you that have done road trips,
How many hours can you drive before the seats start to upset your back?
It's a common road trip problem and I'm sure the SSR isn't exempt from it.
That I believe would depend on each individual's physical condition. I can go two and a half 3 hours and then I need a rest. The main problem I have or not me but the lovely wife complains about not much legroom. She's talk to other wives or passengers they have the same problem not much legroom on the passenger side.

·
Two Tone Owner
2,677 Posts
We drive ours to Florida from Pennsylvania every year. The 1st day, I drive about 11 hours, approx. 650 miles and have to stop every 2 to 3 hours. We try to time it to fuel and bathroom stops. I use a small pillow and that helps, but I sit too high. :yellow:

·
Proud Original Owner
18,187 Posts
Like tinyssnowplows, I can drive all day and never have any back problems in our SSR.
And like SWT RYD said, it depends on the individual's condition.
I say go for it and see how you do.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,147 Posts
I have driven about 2700 miles in mine in the last month. Things that improve a road trip.
Dash mat so you can leave your sun glasses on it or small things.

Multi port power adaptor for the cigarette lighter so you can plug in phones and GPS

I put a micro fiber towel on the shifter plate to keep things from moving around when you set it there. Like if you take off your sun glasses to pay a toll.

Cup holders are working

Mikes seat belt pads on the door pulls.

One trip was with my 14 year old daughter and she had to adjust the seat back a couple times over the trip from California to MO. My wife complains the arm rest it too low so she brings a pillow with her to rest her arm on, on the center console. Both complain not enough room in the floor for their stuff. I do change my seat while driving on long trips to be more comfortable.

We find usually the need to stop for restroom breaks or sight seeing make it good for road trips.

·
Premium Member
7,295 Posts
Studmuffin, SWT RYD, tinyssnowplows and Flyiing Dog are all correct. Like SWT RYD says it all depends on the individual condition, especially the wife. I never have any complaints about driving. In a "regular" car I can go around 400 miles without exiting. Now in the SSR, that's a different story. I have an ego problem. I like to stop, say every 100 miles or so ... so interesting bystanders can look at it and have questions. It just perks you up like a cup of coffee to have somebody admire your beautiful SSR and ask "what is it" or "I've never seen one of those before" or "Is it new. sure looks like it ... 14 years old, are you kidding me"

Now after a potty stop, a cup of coffee and your ego inflated, you are ready to hit the road again, bright eyed and bushy tailed. There is just something about driving a CHEVROLET SSR that makes you wanna' get back in it and "See The USA in Your Chevrolay"

tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,488 Posts
Studmuffin, You do know there are "Lumbar Supports" that are adjustable!?!

Nick

·
Premium Member
6,084 Posts
Forgot to mention if you haven't noticed it by now, you will, but the seatbelts have a mind of their own don't try and figure it out because you never will. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
I usually drive mine from Cuyahoga Falls to Des Moines Iowa, 10 hours. Leave early in the morning so I can take the top down from Chicago to Des Moines.....fresh air, coffee and good music equals no pain anywhere! Once you get in and go you’ll find that seat sweet spot and cruise control.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,457 Posts
I find I have no trouble driving through a tank of gas. When I need gas I need to walk a bit to loosen up the muscles but then it is back on the road. I find the truck to be quite comfortable. I also do not have a problem with the passenger seat. Jody and I made an agreement when we started hanging out together that in order to not argue over who drives, the owner drives their truck. If they want a break then the other can drive. That arrangement has served us well.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I just drove mine from Wichita, Kansas to Ft. Worth. 358 miles. About a 5 hour drive. No problem at all. The seat is good and my little dog didn't complain at all. Just coffee and pee break for me and said dog. Takes longer for gas because of the comments from fellow travelers.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Just got back from a 1500 mile round trip drive. 750 each way. Did each 750 miles in one day. I use the wood bead seat covers. I find the truck to be very comfortable. As for stops, that depends upon my bladder, which, sadly, seems to have shrunk in my old age.

·
Super Moderator
13,974 Posts
The back is never a problem for me but the ass gives out at about 6 hrs
I start to squirm a bit at 4 hours, mostly right hamstring tightness on the seat bolster
This could just be old sports injuries showing up

BTW, I have regular back issues, but they don't show up driving the SSR.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Being a relatively new Owner, I was in a hurry too get Our R out on the road. The Wife and I loaded up our suitcases and headed out on a trip from the Houston area to Utah. We planned on touring the National Parks and just enjoying the open road. Our Son and Daughter-in-Law were with us for the first part of our trip in Their Viper. I love driving and the Wife is only 5' 2" so she had room in the passenger seat. Average length of driving was three to four hours before stops for fuel and breaks. Top down in the early mornings, up when things heated up ( or out of Flagstaff on day two, it Snowed on Us ). I find the Truck very comfortable on the highway using Cruise keeps you able too move your legs around to avoid them tiring. Key is, in my opinion, to go at Your own pace, stop and see things that interest You or Your passenger. Focus on the beauty around You and Not a destination, You will get there in the pre-planned time schedule, but You will sure enjoy the trip in an awesome Vehicle, one sure too keep that Permagrin on your face. 3500 miles in a week...enjoy the Road!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
We can go tank to tank if I can remember to take my wallet out of my back pocket.. That's the thing that'll get me.. The wife did complain about the tight front space but has gotten used to it now and sleeps a lot of the time......

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,572 Posts
I've never had any back issues on long drives but perhaps that perma-grin keeps you thinking about nothing else but driving our awesome little trucks! My wife does feel more comfortable with a small pillow on her right side by the door because the armrest is rather high for her.

I hope you get your new truck repaired soon and get on that road trip as soon as you can! It was a pleasure meeting you last Sunday!

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
My bad back really limited my road trip times... and like Cash, my "derrierre" also was an unhappy traveler.
I've done two things that have helped greatly:
First, I added 1.5" to driver's seat and (per my wife's preference) 3" to the passenger seat. (see attachments)
Secondly, on long drives (3 hrs or more) I wear a back brace belt. It's amazing how well this helps my back. :laugh:
While 6-8 hrs is my desired limit, last year I drove 16 hrs. straight in order to get home before hurricane Harvey got here... which paid off big time.
:ssr
Brian

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
I use a gel foam cushion under my butt which helps along. I also change the seating position every so often (tilt, up & down, forward & back a little at a time ) seems to help me. I also change the lumbar some.

·
Spirited driver!
1,586 Posts
We did 2,500 miles in one week when we went from California to Penticton, BC. Longest stretch was about 10.5 hours and absolutely no butt or back pains. Could easily done longer but my wife said it was time to rest. One thing that helped her comfort was to move the seat up just a bit to allow further recline.

By contrast, we just got home from Las Vegas (about 500 miles) driving the 2016 Cadillac SRX and my butt was getting sore after about hour #5.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
As mentioned earlier, it is also due to the physical condition of the Driver,
I find the seats are comfortable.
only small problem for me are the silver applications on the steering wheel,
on longer trips I have to dry them with a Cloth.

Roman

1 - 20 of 38 Posts