Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A road trip with the SSR is a premier automotive experience. I encourage everyone to do this at least once. Using it for daily transportation is acceptable, but being on the open road is where this vehicle belongs. My wife and I just returned from a 5800 mile trip. Michigan, St. Louis, Tulsa, Amarillo, Roswell, Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands, Tombstone, Tuscon, Phoenix, Jerome, Payson, Kingman, Las Vegas, Green River, Arches NP, Moab, Cortez, Durango, Wolf Creek Pass, Colorado Springs, Kansas City, Michigan.

I cannot be really objective about this, but the performance, ride, and handling are made for this type activity. Putting the top down in the mountains is a real rush.

Last year around July 4th, Marie and I took an early production SSR to Las Vegas and back, accumulating over 4600 miles. We went though Colorado, northern Arizona and southern Utah. Monarch pass, Red Mountain Pass, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Ouray, Silverton, Durango, Mexican Hat, Monument Valley, Page, north rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion NP.

I will post some of our pictures when I have time.

I have probably driven SSRs more miles than any single person and I still get a thrill. We will never produce enough to make them ordinary vehicles. You have to be ready for the attention when you buy an SSR, and I believe that will be true for many years.

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Wow what a drive! I agree - on the open road is the best driving experience for this boulvard cruzier....

Pick a highway - interstate or county - and go...

And thanks to GM & all for building the show truck!!!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Freezer: You are an inspiration to us all. Keep sending the info. too! That bit on the latch was right on target. That is the kind of stuff that is truly appreciated.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I know what your are talking about

freezer said:
A road trip with the SSR is a premier automotive experience. I encourage everyone to do this at least once. Using it for daily transportation is acceptable, but being on the open road is where this vehicle belongs. My wife and I just returned from a 5800 mile trip. Michigan, St. Louis, Tulsa, Amarillo, Roswell, Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands, Tombstone, Tuscon, Phoenix, Jerome, Payson, Kingman, Las Vegas, Green River, Arches NP, Moab, Cortez, Durango, Wolf Creek Pass, Colorado Springs, Kansas City, Michigan.

I cannot be really objective about this, but the performance, ride, and handling are made for this type activity. Putting the top down in the mountains is a real rush.

Last year around July 4th, Marie and I took an early production SSR to Las Vegas and back, accumulating over 4600 miles. We went though Colorado, northern Arizona and southern Utah. Monarch pass, Red Mountain Pass, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Ouray, Silverton, Durango, Mexican Hat, Monument Valley, Page, north rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion NP.

I will post some of our pictures when I have time.

I have probably driven SSRs more miles than any single person and I still get a thrill. We will never produce enough to make them ordinary vehicles. You have to be ready for the attention when you buy an SSR, and I believe that will be true for many years.
We got ours the last day of March 04 and still cannot go anywhere without people wanting for us to pull over to take a look. We just completed a trip to TX, IL, WI, and back to Salinas CA. We saw NO SSR's on the highways, saw a silver one in Plano TX, two SSR's in East Dubuque IL (all at Dealer lots). I have no regrets with selling my 98 Vette to buy this truck! NO we did not take the truck with 20 mpg, the Prius gets 57.7 mpg!
Ken

1 - 5 of 5 Posts