Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - at the risk of getting a whole bunch of "search the site!!" responses - I have searched and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Doesn't mean it isn't there.

I bought a Delphi Roady XT yesterday (okay, I didn't buy it - it's off our safety award program) - Plugs in great and the built in FM modulator is as good as other FM Modulators. Trouble is the antenna. The destructions say not to put it inside the vehicle and not to have it within 4"-6" of a window. So naturally I put it on the dash up against the front windowl Seems to work okay - but only pulling a couple of bars on the strength indicator. Don't know what that will be when I'm on the road in remote areas.

Anybody else use the "portable" Roady units and where did you put the antenna??

·
OP
8,226 Posts
under dash

I would recommend trying it out under the dash just below the wipers. Someone on the site mounted their XM antenna there for satellite radio and is very pleased with it, I, as well, have order the same XM kit and plan to mount the antenna there.
To test it, might I suggest just placing the antenna on top of the dash in the same location.

Your other option might be to mount it externally on the cowling near the windshield away careful not to obstruct the hood opening or wiper function and keeping as close to laying against windshield without causing wind buffetting against the glass.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use a Roady2 with the antenna on top of the dash right up by the window. It works great for me, despite the warnings about ideal placement. I have heard of others placing them under the dash and having it work well and not be visible, but the downside is having to remove the dash panel. Finally I have seen the antennas mounted on the body above the windshield with the wire routed down in front of the top and down the windshield post. This should get the best reception, but I didn't want the antenna on the outside paint.
I love the Roady2, but the issue I would like to improve is the FM transmitter. In crowded areas it can be hard to find an open station. The Roady XT should fix this, as it has more stations to transmit on.
The best XM option is the built in one that works with the existing stereo, but the major downsides are lack of portability, higher cost, and need to remove the dash panel to install. For now,, I'll stick with the Roady.
Good luck, and enjoy your XM in your :ssr

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I tried it on the dash up by the window and reception is ok. Just thought I'd see if anybody else had a better idea.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
I put mine on the dash against the windshield. I use a black foam pad under and around the antenna and a non skid pad between that and the dash. The foam is ~ 3/8 inch sheet from a craft store. That way nothing gets scratched and the antenna doesn't move around. I have another with a steel plate inside the foam for a better ground plane, but I haven't had to use that since the reception is good. I wish I had a radio with a input jack so I did not have to use the FM modulator. I bought an ipod suction cup windshield mount and it attaches to the back bracket of my Roady. With this arrangement, I can easily use this in both my vehicles. You should not have a problem in remote areas because that's where the reception is the best.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, freezer.. the Roady XT came with a clip deal that fit in the air vent - installed in about a minute waiting for a red light. The bracket and the unit fit right on it.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I place mine up on the dash of all of my vehicles and it always works great unless I go through a long tunnel or into an undergorund garage.

·
Registered
374 Posts
freezer said:
I put mine on the dash against the windshield. I use a black foam pad under and around the antenna and a non skid pad between that and the dash. The foam is ~ 3/8 inch sheet from a craft store. That way nothing gets scratched and the antenna doesn't move around. I have another with a steel plate inside the foam for a better ground plane, but I haven't had to use that since the reception is good. I wish I had a radio with a input jack so I did not have to use the FM modulator. I bought an ipod suction cup windshield mount and it attaches to the back bracket of my Roady. With this arrangement, I can easily use this in both my vehicles. You should not have a problem in remote areas because that's where the reception is the best.
I tried using FM modulation with my MyFi before having an XM Direct installed. I found the closer you placed the MyFi to the window antenna, the better. Problem was, it wasn't particularly convenient to have it in that location. I noticed that it was too vulnerable to transmitting hiss, dependant on what position it was in, what direction the truck was pointed. eech.

There are direct input adapters out there, I'm very sure there's something that would plug into the Bose head unit that would allow you to direct connect. The XM Direct unit does this --- it plugs into the Bose unit and the factory harness plugs into it. Terk tech support originally said the SSR wasn't compatible, though I saw other owners successfully using it. Now, Terk has an XM Direct that will work with any head unit with RDS, which is exactly what we have.

My previous car (A Mercury) used an interface with an XM Commander that inserted the satellite radio output into the data cable that ran to the CD changer in the trunk. The cable from the head unit plugged into the interface, which then plugged into the CD changer. The interface drew power for the XM Commander off the data cable. To use the Commander, you pushed "seek up" then "seek down" on the head unit's CD controls, which switched the connection from the changer to the XM unit or vice versa.

I would bet you could find an interface that would let you use a cradle for your Roady, or maybe something as simple as a mini plug to rca adapter cable for your present setup.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Antenna Locations.

I drove around with a temporary antenna location, the antenna right above the windshield, the antenna cable routed around the top's weather stripping, down the a pillar and under the dash. This location gets a good signal, but you have an unsightly antenna sitting right in plain site. Plus, as a negative, I don't think the thin antenna wire will withstand being crimped by the top.

On my trade in, the antenna was located on the top of the car, in front of the rear window. It butted up against the weather stripping, under which the lead was run, eventually dropping into the trunk where the receiver was located. This antenna was the small, low profile Terk that's common with new XM radios. Don't let them fool you into thinking those rubber feet will keep it from scratching the finish, because it does. It holds pretty well, never lost it in a car wash. But when you're waxing the car, you can see it does damage the paint.

That's why I went with my installer's recommendation to hide the new XM unit's antenna under the fiberglass trim piece right in front of the sun load sensor. This works pretty well... but to be honest, it's in such a position that depending on position of the truck and the southern sky, it can suffer from short LOS more often than an antenna placed on the roof.

I shrug it off, reminded by Freezer's posts about how to preserve the styling on the SSR some compromises had to be made. I don't get the absolute best reception where the antenna is located, but considering it's completely hidden and there's zero detraction from the design of the SSR, I am satistified.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts