Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:ssr has nearly 3000 miles on it and in the last 4 weeks it has added 4 windshield chips :banghead a small :cuss ding in the roof on the driver side and a five inch rough scratch on the right front fender all from flying rocks :eek :( :eek :cry :cry :cry ...I feel like I'm driving through an astroid field...only had it three months...what's the next 3 gonna be like :confused

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
rock magnet

You need to start driving backwards more often. That way the magnetic poles of your SSR will be aligned and therfore, repell the rocks. :seeya

But seriously, Don't follow any bottom dump gravel trucks, any other kind of dump truck, or any pickup towing a cement mixer, or, or, or... Either pass them or get sombody else, or better several sombodys, between them and you. Those trucks arn't just kicking rocks up off the road, they have lots of it falling off.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
beer100 said:
You need to start driving backwards more often. That way the magnetic poles of your SSR will be aligned and therfore, repell the rocks. :seeya

But seriously, Don't follow any bottom dump gravel trucks, any other kind of dump truck, or any pickup towing a cement mixer, or, or, or... Either pass them or get sombody else, or better several sombodys, between them and you. Those trucks arn't just kicking rocks up off the road, they have lots of it falling off.
I hear ya! :) Problem is...don't follow the trucks, altho there are a lot of them on the road I take daily to work...every rock that has hit me has come from one going the OTHER direction :cuss :rolleyes: :cuss and by the time I get turned around...no truck! :confused It's like they've fallen into a deep hole somewhere...

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not on gravel...just old route 66 for 40 miles to town and back each day...not much I can do except put the :ssr in the garage and buy a commuter car...not gonna happen cuz if I can't drive it...don't need it :nono

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
artsmart said:
I hear ya! :) Problem is...don't follow the trucks, altho there are a lot of them on the road I take daily to work...every rock that has hit me has come from one going the OTHER direction :cuss :rolleyes: :cuss and by the time I get turned around...no truck! :confused It's like they've fallen into a deep hole somewhere...
You better hurry up and get the invisable bra it will stop the dings.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I think several of us have the same problem. The crack in my windshield I thought was from a truck was actually a car spitting off a rock from the highway. I follwed the path it took across my hood.

If I had been on my HD when that one hit, it would have knocked me off! I can take a few paint chips but this windshield problem is bull$hit.

I really believe the quality of windshields over the years has really went downhill. Some say it's the angle of the windshield, (NOT) that I don't believe because the wifes 350z is about the same angle. Also her car sits way lower than the SSR. She has had hers for over a year and a half and no windshield problems.

Somethings we just have to live with when we use them as daily drivers.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Just battle scars. Don't worry about it. Get some touch up paint and dab em with that. I have gotten most of my rock chips from the "Johnny Jack Up" trucks with the knobby tires that hold lots of gravel and spit them out no matter how far back you are. I try to leave a nice distance between me and the vehicles in front but sometimes you can't help it. You would be getting these chips in pretty much any vehicle so why worry? Enjoy your ride, touch up your dings and enjoy it! :thumbs

·
Premium Member
31,421 Posts
Maybe I'm lucky

Cant talk about the SSR yet (only had it a week), but on both my '93 Olds (got rid of it two years ago) and my '99 Silvy, I've had rocks hit the glass and sound like a major hammer blast, yet no cracks. Ive got a few small chips that you can see, but are not big enough to need filling (1/6" or so in size). Dunno what the "magic" factor is.

Hell, I used to pour warm water on the windshield of my Olds on days when it frosted over and never had a problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like wrinkles in old age, those character lines and scratches can't be helped. At least you'll know which one is yours. Might be a perfect excuse to get a flame job on the front of the car when you can't stand the scratches anymore.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Batman said:
Like wrinkles in old age, those character lines and scratches can't be helped. At least you'll know which one is yours. Might be a perfect excuse to get a flame job on the front of the car when you can't stand the scratches anymore.
Well, it won't take long for me and the truck to look about the same age :lol :lol ...your suggestion is great :) have been thinking about flames and looking for someone local to do them but will probably wait awhile until I can't stand the front end anymore...now, just how to make that ding on the roof disappear $$$$$$$

:seeya

CRUZNED...jealous of your summer break (not the leg :lol )I get summer school duty starting Monday.....YEAAAAAAAAAAA

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
living2be said:
:lol :lol :lol Sorry Machell....you left yourself wide open for that one! :lol :lol :lol

Boy did I ever!!!! :lol but I don't see why you can't put the expel on the roof too, they put it on the mirror, rear wheel fenders, I would most likely absorb the hit so that no marks are put into the paint, just ask Houtex about the roofing shingle pack that hit his SSR, there was a rub mark in the expel but I couldn't see a dent or mark in the paint.

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
Sounds Like

Sounds like we need a condom for our trucks to practice safe driving! :glol :glol :glol Wrap up the Jimmy and cruze :glol :glol :glol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts