Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
C1Trob said:
First good size rock off of the rear chute of a dump truck, two lanes removed, and at least 20 car lengths back. :mad
That's repairable. I had it done to my Marauder. They come out and inject a resin under pressure, which seals the break and fills it in. You can still see it, (it's lots better cosmetically, though), and usually they warranty it such that if it runs or grows, they'll replace the windshield. My insurance company paid for this no deductible. Worth it, even if you just want to keep it from cracking over and running until you replace the windshield. Most of these repair companies charge the insurance company $50 for the repair, but non-insurance rates are like $30. When they came to my workplace to do mine, two other co-workers had the guy repair chips for them as well.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,060 Posts
Rob,

Be glad it was the glass and not the fender.

Insist on the best installer and Genuine GM parts..... Should have an SSR logo.

Scares the crap outa me every time I see one of those trucks on the freeway.

"Silver" will be OK, buddy.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had to go ahead and order a replacement for tomorrow already.
Thank goodness it didn't hit anywhere else. Your right, is so scary to drive around here, with all the poor enforcement of substandard trucking euipment out on our roads. In this case there were rocks continually creeping out of the back of the Dump Chute, where the door was supposed to be closed solid, it was not. If it had flown up off of the road surface with a tire, I would not be so upset, but right out of the back of the dump bed. There were handfuls of rocks falling off and bouncong all over the freeway into other cars as well. I have of course turned all info on the truck that I could garner, while driving, and turned it into my Insurance co.

·
Registered
66 Posts
101 Loop ?

Rob
Mike is correct it could have hit the fender. Ug!
Just how lucky do you feel, if your going to take another "Hit"within the next few months go with the patch. As long as the repair meets with your satfaction.
Mike
I start on my trip out Nov. 1st with the plane on the deck. should be in the valley by the Friday
Semper Fi
Joe

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
on the 10 westbound near airport

Patch won't get it for this divot. Went to two places today already to inquire and they wouldn't touch it.
Where are we going to be able to see your jet fly? (Saber?)

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,060 Posts
Not to Hijack Rob's Thread...

Joe,

Where are you staying and for how long? What is the schedule for the "Fly-in"?

I'd like to see if we can come out to show our support......

Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mike
I should be in the valley by Friday Nov 3, staying in Tempe/Chandler. The Jet meet is in Mesa the 18-20. I'll be test flying in north phx , cavecreek/Jomax . Knowing me I will be at the field every day until the rally.Look forward to you meeting you all
Semper Fi
Joe
Its a T 33 "shooting star" a jet trainer

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,060 Posts
Check your PM

Rob lives in Tempe and I live in Ahwatukee. I sent you a PM with the contact details. I expect Rob will do the same.

Sounds like fun. :thumbs

Mike

Oh yeah, I'm un-hijacking Rob's thread now...... :lol

·
Registered
434 Posts
C1Trob

I rec'd a divot like that right in front of rearview mirror four (4) years ago.
Glass shop didn't want to try and fix it.
I signed off on it and asked them to try anyway.
As I said, four years ago and it is still very hard to see.

Skip

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Be glad it wasn't the fender indeed. My windshield is fine, can't say the same for the fender. :ssr

K

·
0 Posts
This happened to me the first week I had my SSR. A rock flew out of the back of a dump truck, bounced once, and smashed my grill. I had to replace the brushed aluminum bar running through our headlights in the front , and the front passenger side blinker. So sorry man.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts
Ken'sssr

Do you still have that head light bar ... I need one to mod. :angel

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
Would still try to repair rather than replace until you start getting cracks moving up/across the windshield, if it doesn't work, it can always be replaced...you WILL get more rocks since the :ssr seems to be a rock magnet. I have no less than 12 rock gouges in my windshield...ALL from rock trucks going the other way :cuss Have only had the :ssr since March...that's a lot of new windshields.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Believe it or not, the trucking and construction lobbies successfully convinced the Texas Legislature that they should NOT be responsible for damage caused by rocks and other objects falling out of trucks, and the legislature actually passed a law saying so! So, here in Texas, we get to pay for the trucker's sloppiness and disregard of common sense.

Jim G

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
Here in CA, if you can manage to catch the # of the truck along w/the company they are hauling for, you can request compensation and receive it. Have had a number of windshields replaced this way over the years...including one busted as a result of a rock thrown up by a school bus. But...with my :ssr windshield, I have not been so lucky...can't get turned around fast enough to chase down the truck for the # or company name.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
I guess the earlier postings by others about losing the cosmetic body-colored windshield pillar covers weren' kidding - They are only velcroed on??? THREE SMALL pieces of velcro, it looks like???

This has the potential for real excitement at, say, 130 mph, or say 160 mph if you get speed rated tires and defeat the speed limiter. :)

Jim G

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pillar Covers

That set up is kinda hokey, but seems to hold ok at say 105MPH.
The repair man had never done an SSR and I was very impressed at his intuitiveness to not rip it all apart to change out the glass. He actually took his time, and discovered all items at a very reasonable rate of time. If the replacement guy had been any different, I would have tackled him on the spot and thrown him off the job. I did in fact stay with the guy the entire time. I just could not bear to walk away and not see what transpired.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
I guess the earlier postings by others about losing the cosmetic body-colored windshield pillar covers weren' kidding - They are only velcroed on??? THREE SMALL pieces of velcro, it looks like???

This has the potential for real excitement at, say, 130 mph, or say 160 mph if you get speed rated tires and defeat the speed limiter. :)

Jim G
Well maybe with all these velcroed pieces, at one of the get togethers we could trade pieces and make our own 2 toned trucks :jester

1 - 20 of 20 Posts