Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
High Plains Roadster
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 SSR with the 6.0 automatic. Fabulous! :silver:

Here in Cheyenne and around the high plains regular gas is 85 octane. About the highest you can get in most stations is 91.

It will definitely run on 85 but, naturally, is smoother if I put in 87 or higher.

To preserve my SSR, I am willing to pay for what is needed. I don't want to be thrifty (aka, cheap) if it will cause problems.

Will 85 cause problems? Will 91 cause problems? What is best?

Any thoughts from experienced and experts?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,054 Posts
I think you’ll find the six liter runs a lot better on 91 octane. Remember that your computer “learns” what fuel you use, what fuel trims are set and how you drive..... kinda. It stores at least a few weeks of engine operation in “adaptive memory”. This is not a bad thing, unless you have been running low octane fuel for a long time....

If you have been running lower octane, I would recommend tanking up with the highest octane you can find and pulling the engine computer fuse for at least 10 minutes to get the memory to clear. Put the fuse back in and then drive it...... I would not hesitate to have WOT excursions when the opportunity allows. Some would refer to this as “drive it like you stole it”........ You will be amazed at the change in engine performance.

My two cents,

Mike

·
High Plains Roadster
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike --

Thanks for the advice.

Pulling the engine computer fuse sounds like a radical thing that I wouldn't normally want to do.

When you do that with other computer thingamajigs, it can reset the whole thing.

Since you said it was OK, I am open to doing it.

Where would I find this particular fuse and identify it as such?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts