Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the window frame on this car can support its full 6,000 lbs in case of a rollover?

I am I the only one that thinks like this?

BMW claims that the bars behind the head rest will pop up and save your ass, but I was wondering if the SSR can do anything similar?

Thanx - NCalSSR

R

·
0 Posts
I hope someone from GM responds...

Just let us know if the windshield will crumble in our face when 6,000 lbs turns over and leans on the weak window frames?

What would happen to our heads?

·
Registered
413 Posts
rollover

the main thing is dont roll it over

·
Registered
468 Posts
GVWR vs. curb weight

This is a minor point if you're wearing your SSR as a hat, but the weight of the vehicle is 4700lbs, not 6000lbs. the GVWR of 6,040lbs is "Total weight a vehicle is rated to carry by the manufacturer, including its own weight and the weight of its load."

I don't think the SSR would fare any differently than any other convertible in a rollover. It has a much lower center of gravity than the Trailblazers that ride on almost the same chassis, and would be less susceptible to rollover than your average SUV. I do wonder, however, why the concern? Unless you are actively seeking to engage in an activity that raises the risk of rollover, I'd think there are other risk factors that should concern you more, such as the idiots that share the road with you.

D

·
0 Posts
I'm an idiot that rides a motorcycle so driving my SSR or my Z06 makes me feel safe and a rollover doesn't concern me very much. However, if you do roll an SSR over would it be better to have the top up or the top down? Is the top strong enough to keep from folding up on the driver and passenger if it takes an upside down hit? Think about it.

:confused

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
:D :D I've autocrossed mine and really torqued it in the corners. I doubt it will roll over because I really pushed it on those turns. I could be wrong, but she seems to be a very stable beast! I love her! If you don't know what autocross is, it is a timed speed event where you slolum through a course of cones at a high rate of speed. Spin outs are common but rollovers?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Rollover????

[EDIT] Please do not tell other members to "get a life". We keep it respectful of all members here. TR [/EDIT]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Twisty roads, lots of Mountains, & Cliffs

Some of us live in California and rollovers are only a few inches to the right on a tight turn regardless of how low your center of gravity is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts