Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My R came out of storage a month ago and removed the battery maintainer. However, tried to start and batter was too low. Put the maintainer back on and the reading lamp under the mirror flickered and would not stop until I depressed the brake though the tail lights did not lite up. Also, the key would not turn "off" and remains in the "run" position. I used a battery charger and after a couple hours the charger indicated a full charge. Tried to start and nothing. No lights, no starter, etc. The key remains in the "run" position and will not move to "off." Don't know if there is a fuseable link between the battery or what. I'm stymied. Any comments would be welcome.

·
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!
2004 SSR Ultra Violet
43,098 Posts
My R came out of storage a month ago and removed the battery maintainer. However, tried to start and batter was too low. Put the maintainer back on and the reading lamp under the mirror flickered and would not stop until I depressed the brake though the tail lights did not lite up. Also, the key would not turn "off" and remains in the "run" position. I used a battery charger and after a couple hours the charger indicated a full charge. Tried to start and nothing. No lights, no starter, etc. The key remains in the "run" position and will not move to "off." Don't know if there is a fuseable link between the battery or what. I'm stymied. Any comments would be welcome.
Welcome to the forum!!! As I have had the same issue and well a few others this year, your battery has packed it in, so off to the battery store ya go, I assume you know that the battery is located in the rear of the SSR behind the right rear tire, it can be a bit of a pain to change it out. That will fix your issues!! Good luck!!

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
I agree your battery is probably deceased, but I wonder did you disconnect the battery from the truck when you switched from the maintainer to the charger?

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
47,479 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! As I have had the same issue and well a few others this year, your battery has packed it in, so off to the battery store ya go, I assume you know that the battery is located in the rear of the SSR behind the right rear tire, it can be a bit of a pain to change it out. That will fix your issues!! Good luck!!
Same thing happened to mine this year battery was shot and would not take a charge. ( It was on a maintainer also ) New battery and all is good again !!!!!! :grin2:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who have commented. I didn't think the battery was shot since I replaced it in the fall of '17. The OEM battery lasted for over 13 years! But, experience helps. Thanks.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
47,479 Posts
Thanks to all who have commented. I didn't think the battery was shot since I replaced it in the fall of '17. The OEM battery lasted for over 13 years! But, experience helps. Thanks.
Could have a bad cell it should still be under warranty ??????

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In answer to XOXOXOBruce, when I switched from the maintainer to the battery charger, I did not disconnect the battery from the truck when I switched from the maintainer to the charger.
Any reason why the ignition key will not turn to the "off" position?

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt
47,479 Posts
In answer to XOXOXOBruce, when I switched from the maintainer to the battery charger, I did not disconnect the battery from the truck when I switched from the maintainer to the charger.
Any reason why the ignition key will not turn to the "off" position?
Make sure your battery cables are tight before you get a new battery. The key will not come out if your battery is dead.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,647 Posts
Make sure your battery cables are tight before you get a new battery. The key will not come out if your battery is dead.
Before you tighten them, take them off and clean with a wire brush! Both the cables and Battery. Also the Negative cable attachment bolt to the frame and body. Also while the cable is off check the voltage, at the Battery itself, with a Volt Meter

Nick

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your'e right. Southwest PA is pretty vague. Actually, my location is in Somerset County.
BTW, I'm puzzled by the "quick reply" and why it seems that I have to go through passwords, etc. to post a reply.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe I'm not using the correct "reply" icon? I just found a "reply" at the top of the thread and this message is as a result. We'll see.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually have a new question. Went to the dealer yesterday, and wanted to purchase another module for the R, but was stymied by the shear number of schematics the parts person was paging through. My description of the module didn't come with a part number to narrow down.
The module is located within the cockpit and under the drivers side of the dash. Just above where your left foot rests. I've unknowingly have bumped/kicked the module and it fell to the floor from its insert point. This affected some of the systems, but not all. It seems that the module has again fallen from its insert point and I can't find it.
Any idea of what its called, or a part number?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was a bad battery

Replaced the batter and all is well. Thanks to wise people for the advice.
Also, the "module" turns out to be the tech 2 diagnostic port. After putting in the new battery, no issue with any systems. :purple:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts