Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Chevrolet SSR 2004
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a red Chevy SSR. She is my baby but through the years she has been detiriorating. Recently I took her to Chevy for one issue and it came out with the convertible top not working. The hard top is closed but it seems like it will not finalize the process and hinge so I have the singing and a roof ajar message the entire time I drive. It is also stuck in the closed position and will not open. HELP!

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,129 Posts
@Zarraluqui, I see you replied to another post about this, others will reply, Meantime--Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Then go to the "New Member Section" and introduce yourself. New Member Section

Nick & Kathy

·
BLU SSR
3,717 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Nick is right, please fill in your info for help now and in the future. There are a lot of people here that are ready to help, but will need a little more to go on such as year of truck, what did it have done at the dealer, was the top working right before the dealer visit....you get the idea, the more information the better to figure out the problem remotely.

·
Registered
Chevrolet SSR 2004
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry guys new to forum life. I went ahead and updated location where I am and hear on my profile.
I have a 2004 Red SSR.
It went into the dealer because the air would randomly stop cooling all the time. It was working right before it went into the dealer. A couple weeks passed before I could put the top down because it is always so hot in Miami. I was able to put the top down and then when I went to close it. It closed but doesn’t seem to completely register closed. So it keeps singing roof ajar. And now it won’t open back up.

·
SSR Believer
2,128 Posts
Hi @Zarraluqui! As mentioned, others will be along to help you out soon. One quick thing to try is to fully open the bed cover, then close it (closing the bed cover, then the tailgate) and try closing then opening the top again.

The good news is, it's almost certain that the experts here will be able to figure out what the problem is.

The other option is to take it back to the dealer and let them know that it was working fine before you took it in and now it's not and see what they will do for you. It's a roll of the dice since they may or may not have someone that will know what to do.

On a side note, if you have to leave it with a shop in the future, you can ensure that the folks don't start playing around with the convertible top by removing a circuit breaker in the interior fuse box which is located in the waterfall area behind the passenger seat. That will disable it completely without causing any other issues. Once you get it back you can just plug the circuit breaker back in.

·
Registered
Chevrolet SSR 2004
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi @Zarraluqui! As mentioned, others will be along to help you out soon. One quick thing to try is to fully open the bed cover, then close it (closing the bed cover, then the tailgate) and try closing then opening the top again.

The good news is, it's almost certain that the experts here will be able to figure out what the problem is.

The other option is to take it back to the dealer and let them know that it was working fine before you took it in and now it's not and see what they will do for you. It's a roll of the dice since they may or may not have someone that will know what to do.

On a side note, if you have to leave it with a shop in the future, you can ensure that the folks don't start playing around with the convertible top by removing a circuit breaker in the interior fuse box which is located in the waterfall area behind the passenger seat. That will disable it completely without causing any other issues. Once you get it back you can just plug the circuit breaker back in.

View attachment 585598

·
Registered
Chevrolet SSR 2004
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried the opening and closing lid and tailgate and nothing.

I took it back to dealer and they said that it came like that and they didn’t touch it. That dealership is the one we purchased it from in 2004 new and they have always done an awful job which is why I need to look externally.

The other thread is extensive and would prefer replies here.

·
SSR Believer
2,128 Posts
Tried the opening and closing lid and tailgate and nothing.

I took it back to dealer and they said that it came like that and they didn’t touch it. That dealership is the one we purchased it from in 2004 new and they have always done an awful job which is why I need to look externally.

The other thread is extensive and would prefer replies here.
Got it. I guess my question for the dealership would be, how would they know if it was working or not? There was no need to open or close the convertible top to figure out the A/C issue. Clearly not worth pursuing though. Sad to hear that the dealership doesn't want your business anymore.

Hang in there, there are plenty of folks here with the expertise needed to get things resolved. (y)

·
Registered
Chevrolet SSR 2004
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can do some reading: SSR HOW TO LIBRARY: Look up ROOF AJAR.

OR you can take it Sarasota, Florida: Tell Zig/Owner Dicktator told you to call.

Cabriolet Hydraulics, LLC
2111 72nd Terrace E
Sarasota, FL 34243
(941) 756-1300

Dicktator
Thanks man - I called the shop and he is going to call me back. I’m going up there in a couple of weeks and I’ll drop it off with him see if he can give me a hand.

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,331 Posts
New web site for Cab Hydraulics

Dicktator

·
Registered
Chevrolet SSR 2004
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I am also looking for a mechanic that does other work that is not roof related. I.E. Mely window switches seem to be losing contact and my window won’t go down properly. Does anyone have someone close to Miami? Or in Florida?

·
SSR Believer
2,128 Posts
If I am also looking for a mechanic that does other work that is not roof related. I.E. Mely window switches seem to be losing contact and my window won’t go down properly. Does anyone have someone close to Miami? Or in Florida?
You're in the heart of SSR country! There are a number of folks in Florida that can either help you or point you to repair shops that can. There's a good chance that you can do some of your own repair work in this case though.

Console window switches can get dirty and become intermittent or stop working completely. Mike (@Dragon2U) and Dicktator (@Dicktator) have written a great DIY guide that will help you understand how they work and how to clean them. Look for "Console Lamp Fix" (which includes cleaning the switches) in Dicktator's DIY library (I've attached a copy):

If cleaning them doesn't fix it, contact Mike or Dicktator (Dicktator lives in Florida too). You can send them the parts to repair for a very reasonable price and quick turn-around.

Hope that helps!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,129 Posts
Like Rich said, Watch for a Florida Tech day, get everything fixed AND learn things at the same time.

Nick

·
Premium Member
5,129 Posts
Do they come up on the forum and people meet up?
Yes and yes. @Dicktator and some of the Florida gang post when they have them. I'm sure there is a news letter that you cannot on. Hang on someone will respond.

Nick

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,331 Posts
SSR Florida Email, sign up.

Tech Days Quiet because of the virus.

Dicktator

·
Registered
2003 SSR redline red, "Tupperware" bedliner
118 Posts
Gl

On a side note, if you have to leave it with a shop in the future, you can ensure that the folks don't start playing around with the convertible top by removing a circuit breaker in the interior fuse box which is located in the waterfall area behind the passenger seat. That will disable it completely without causing any other issues. Once you get it back you can just plug the circuit breaker back in

View attachment 585598
Glad you posted this. It's good to know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts