Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SSR I purchased last Friday the top was closed all the way but the last 3/8 inch. It raddled and had wind noise when you drove it. The top would cycle up and down but would not close the last 3/8 inch. I used the top tool with the roof in the closed position, it would release the header latch and close the header latch but not pull the top closed the last 3/8 inch. With the top down I removed the header latch cover panel for a better view. I used the top tool to push the header latch motor out of the sprocket and moved the latch to the full open position. I cycled closed the top and the header motor moved back into the sprocket and fully closed the top. My thoughts are that someone had used the top tool before and did not have the header latch in the full open position when they cycled the top closed.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,386 Posts
The SSR I purchased last Friday the top was closed all the way but the last 3/8 inch. It raddled and had wind noise when you drove it. The top would cycle up and down but would not close the last 3/8 inch. I used the top tool with the roof in the closed position, it would release the header latch and close the header latch but not pull the top closed the last 3/8 inch. With the top down I removed the header latch cover panel for a better view. I used the top tool to push the header latch motor out of the sprocket and moved the latch to the full open position. I cycled closed the top and the header motor moved back into the sprocket and fully closed the top. My thoughts are that someone had used the top tool before and did not have the header latch in the full open position when they cycled the top closed.
Congratulations. Great detective work.

Reactions: SandMountianMan

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Roof Header Latch

Yes, if someone manually disengaged the spring-loaded sprocket from the header and started to cycle the roof, it's possible that the sprocket re-engaged but was not properly indexed to fully extend or retract the latch arms. Why someone would do this is puzzling, though, especially if the roof otherwise cycles normally. Good work in restoring the operation back to normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts