Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we got our truck, we have been cursed with the phantom "Roof Ajar" error message. The computer shows everything buttoned up tight, but if we hit a bump - sometimes it takes a good jolt to do it - the chime sounds and the error appears in the DIC (I hate when that happens). Then you get the chime and message every mile you travel.

It is not an always on problem because sometimes after the top has been down, no error is displayed for a while. Then it magically reappears. We had the truck in to have the latch/switch replaced because that is what a service bulletin said was the fix. A couple days after that, bump and it's back.

I took the truck in this morning to have it checked out again but no joy. They are getting with the regional service folks (whatever they call them) to get more information. I brought the truck on home because it is mostly an annoyance but we can live with it and they wouldn't give me a Vette as a loaner. Trust me, I tried.

I don't feel as bad now as when I went in. There was a red one in for a similar problem. Except his also sometimes gives the error and sometimes his also leaks!! So, I guess his roof really is ajar.

Diggs

P.S. On a good note, the rear fender protectors (do those have official GM-speak names?) on ours where not the tightest fit. I asked about getting the passenger side fixed and the body shop manager said he would order new ones for both sides. The drivers side looks good to me but he said that it should be better. That will be taken care of in a couple weeks when the new ones come in.

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
Hey Diggs.

Can you check with your dealer when he removes the rear fender protectors - are they 2 sided taped, or epoxied, is the paint damaged during removal, and if not, was the area behind the protectors given the full paint treatment.

I'd like to take mine off permanently, but not if it causes damage, or the paint quality isn't the same as the fenders.

Thanks.

Ray

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I would also like to know the part number for them. If you want to paint the vehicle, idealy, they need to come off.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Protectors

Flassh said:
Hey Diggs.

Can you check with your dealer when he removes the rear fender protectors - are they 2 sided taped, or epoxied, is the paint damaged during removal, and if not, was the area behind the protectors given the full paint treatment.

I'd like to take mine off permanently, but not if it causes damage, or the paint quality isn't the same as the fenders.

Thanks.

Ray
I did not get the part numbers from the dealer, but he did say they are attached with two sided tape. When they come in, I'll make a point to get the info from the body shop dude. He seemed very cool and it shouldn't be a problem.

Diggs

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quarter Panel Protectors

GM part number 15129956, approx $200 each from dealer. Check out gmpartsdirect.com, their price is $157.60 each. GM speak "PROT-Q/PN".They are available in the body color.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The roof ajar message is probably caused by the header latch switch which can be out of alignment. This is the first place the dealer should look. A lot of header latches were replaced because of this switch.

The stone protectors were designed to be replaced. They are attached with body side molding two sided tape made by 3M.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Roof Ajar Strikes Again!!

Had some surgery on my foot, so the SSR sat for a little more than a week because I could get in and out of the Blazer a little easier. Started driving it Friday and, on the way home, the dreaded "Roof Ajar" popped up - keeps binging and driving me nuts. Will bring it in Tuesday. :mad

·
Registered
168 Posts
I remember...

hout,

Your foot surgery testimonial reminds me of my "Roof Ajar" experience. When I picked up my SSR after buying it over the internet/phone (sight-unseen). I had just had knee surgery (right side). Doc said not to drive, but I perfected using my left foot to brake and the cruise control to accelerate and felt pretty confident. My wife and I drove about three hours to the dealership and put the deal together. The salespeople were all gathered around watching this crippled guy drooling over his new toy, while the missus snapped pix. I had to aim my leg just right as I entered the truck to fit, but I didn't mind a bit, as I drove off the show room floor.

Then we followed each other home, which was a memorable trip. Every stop (restaurant, fuel, hailstorm/underpass) we got attention from all the rubber-necks. About halfway home "Roof Ajar" appears on the DIC. I fumbled with it a while before I realized I had to stop to operate it. After I lowered and raised it, it never came back! It was wet from the storm and I had not gotten experienced at using it (so I might have let off the button too early), but it seems fine now. It was February in Oklahoma, so the nighttime temperature was pretty cold, but I still remember driving through Tulsa with the top down (and the bun toaster on high). All in all a great memory.

Hope your foot heals well.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Foot and roof

Foot healing well - tried the up and down deal with the roof - still binging .

Great story - sounds like a memorable trip. Got the opposite here - we're into the Texas heat and it's too hot to put the top down. Don't care how much you crank up the A/C. Evenings are pretty nice, though. :cool

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Roof ajar was just the beginning

Left my SSR at the dealer on Tuesday - they couldn't get to it so I left it there while I went to New Orleans on business (developed a healthy respect for physically challenged people who have to travel - toe still isn't all healed yet). Called the dealer from the airport when I got back - said they weren't able to adjust the latch switch and had to order a new one. I picked the car up on Saturday morning since it was on back order. Went to a party last night and went to show a guy how the top went down - won't open more than about three inches - then hangs up. :banghead :banghead . I guess I'll just wait until the part comes in and they can do the whole thing.

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Fender Protectors

I was at the assembly plant last month and it was mentioned that one of the problems they were having was the fender protectors where not evenly adhering. The problem seemed to be that the heat lamps that are used to heat the fender protectors up were not evenly positioned to cover all the surface areas. So they had a go fast work shop and found out that they needed to turn lamps in a uniform patern to cover the whole piece. Now they don't have as many problems. :)

Ps, the protectors are applied affter the paint process and yes the paint is the same as the whole truck. Without mud flaps you will definately get a whole lot of stone chips on the back fenders without the protectors in place.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does anyone have any information on the availability of mud flaps? Are they going to make any specifically for the SSR?

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Flaps

I doubt that you will see custom flaps for the SSR from Chevy just yet. They would rather see you buy the $900 running boards.

I found some flaps at a local auto parts store that look good ( almost invisible) and do a great job on stopping the rocks and stones from hitting the side of the SSR or the rear fender protectors.
They sit low enough, right behind the tire to stop the stones before they get a chance to head toward the body. There no chips or marks along the body plastic pieces especially the one behind the front tire. I saw an SSR over the weekend that had running boards, with only 600 miles on it the plastic piece right behind the front wheel was marked pretty bad.
I would put flaps on even if I had running boards.

Have some pics.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Nice touch

I see you added a red color to the wheel bow tie. :) I see someone is selling gold stickers on labels for the painted wheels.

Hmm the brake calibers are painted red I see. I can't see the clear mud guards/flaps but I would like to put on some perhaps and maybe in just plain black so they blend in with the tires.

***Ah I see you meant because they are black they are almost invisible.***

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Aaaaaargh!!!!

Been over a week since the dealer "broke" my top. No word on the part for the locking latch switch - that's been almost two weeks. Lucky that we've only seen 5 days in June without rain - or I'd really be ticked. :rant

·
Registered
28 Posts
Red Bow Ties

I'm curious about the red bow ties. Did you paint them or are they something you bought and applied on the wheels?? I would like to have mine Yellow I think.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts