Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,607 Posts
Wow, I can hardly believe in getting an error message already. Especially after switching to the 2006. Anyone ever had the
"Roof Ajar" error message?
Check out Dicktators New - One Drive . I know you have seen it mentioned in other threads. Just thumb thorough it (and Bookmark it) to see what item are there so you can go back and look at them when you need to. I would post the link but can't seem to find my link.

·
Premium Member
8,053 Posts
SSRfanatic ... I'm afraid as years go by there are going to be more and more roof problems. However, problems on any vehicle after 15 or 20 years are bound to pop up. They are still a very unique vehicle and lots of fun ... especially in the South where you have many, many Winter Sunny days you can enjoy them !!! 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 If I get another one I will not drive it as much as I did the other 3.

·
Registered
2006 Final Production Run
8 Posts
Hi
Bill from Canada
My 2006 has shown this off and on for the past couple of years.
I was told by another SSR owner it can also be connected to the trunk lid and tail gate not being fully closed.
I tried slamming the tail gate slightly but didn’t make the problem go away.

sorry that it’s not the answer you hoped for, my roof sill does this off & on.

Hopefully we find an answer.

Happy Thanksgiving from Canada

·
Slingshot Rules!
89,831 Posts
Thing is, the roof seems to be fully closed when I get this error message, and it opens and closes without a problem. And if it weren't for the periodic beeping of the error message, I'd gladly ignore it. But I'm taking it in to service department tomorrow.

That "beeping" would be tough on me as well, DouggieFresh . . .

Don't forget to keep us update on what you learn at the Service Department.

! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Doug

mine does the same thing, roof appears closed, doesn’t leak if wet, just shows the message and the constant dig to let you know.

let me know how you make out!
This has bugged me off and on for a couple of years.

Bill

·
SSR Believer
4,136 Posts
So I'll jump in and piggyback on what @Dicktator and @BlueStreak) posted earlier. They're referring to the possibility that one (or more) of the nine Hall Effect switches in your SSR's roof control system may be the problem. Any one of them can trigger the "Roof Ajar" message in the DIC, even when the bed cover and tailgate are closed properly and the roof opens and closes normally. There could be some misalignment or simply a bad switch. Here are the two documents in Dicktator's library that address this. Look for "ROOF AJAR" and "ROOF MIS-OPERATION & CAUSES" (both written by SSR Roof expert Ed Borland) here:

Or here:

If/when you take your SSR in for troubleshooting, being armed with this knowledge and information could save everyone a lot of time and probably money.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
8 Posts
PorkerGuy
Thank you for the information, it makes a lot of sense. I’ll have my Body shop guy take a look.
My son & I both have 2006 Last Runs but only I’m having the issue.

Bill S

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,607 Posts
Imported from another similar thread:
douggiefresh53 said:
I've checked out Dicktator New - One Drive. It seems simple. And tough I consider myself mechanically inclined, I wouldn't want to create a bigger problem.
I can relate to that statement and would suggest that you print out the relevant sections and take them to your shop of choice, and they might look at it, since suggesting they look at the whole file is not likely to work.

• Helpful
Reactions: richsadams

·
Registered
8 Posts
O2bnkc
Thanks for the tip, with your comment I’m assuming they are both the same switch on both sides.
My 06 just shows the “roof is ajar” out of the blue a couple of times a year, it’s not continuous.
Will try this.

Bill S

1 - 19 of 19 Posts