Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to fix a roof-, bike- or ski rack on the cargo-area cover?
where do i got it or can i use a standard rack which is available in every country. i am living in switzerland
:cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
I could never bring my self to attach something like that to a 50+ thousand dollar vehicle. buy a good used subaru or a jeep :thumbs

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks dear ssraholic
i think it is not a question of money it is a question of comfort and good looking. two bikes behind you or nice pairs of ski
still i am interested if someone has solved this with a rack

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have thought about what you are asking myself.
I have a Chevy Blazer with a factory roof rack on it.
the rack is all in black and so is my SSR.

The SSR cover is shorter than the Blazer roof so the rack would have to be cut down before installing it, which looks possible. The cover is metal so the install would be solid. The cover may not pop open due to the weight however.

Skip

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
ssraholic said:
I could never bring my self to attach something like that to a 50+ thousand dollar vehicle. buy a good used subaru or a jeep :thumbs
I have to go with you on this one ssraholic. The thought of that made me cringe!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
Wasn't someone talking about this a while ago?? I remember seeing a pic somewhere of a strap on unit on somebodys SSR.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,106 Posts
If you can put one on a Porsche, BMW, Maserati or AMG Mercedes, why not on an SSR? I've spent time in Europe and seen the racks on a lot of really expensive sports cars that had almost no hope of catrrying skis. The "temporary " racks don't seem to damage the high $ Autobahn bombers and I see a lot of clear surface area on the back for a ski rack. I don't think I would want to put bikes on the lid though, too much weight and too much leverage to bend the lid. Bikes should go inside the bed with the lid off.

If you remember the way they connect, it might be feasble to use a portable Yakima rack. There must be a kit with a very wide stance that has (oh my god here it comes) suction cups or soft pads at the outer ends that would put the weight near the edge of the lid. The typical rubberized stainless clips will most likely capture the edge of the lid OK.

IMHO,

Mike

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks to all

it is great to hear the different possibilities. so if the cover is made in steel , also a magnetic fixation should be possible
I will try when i get my ssr

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Some of us have small indentations on the rear deck lid (came that way, not big enought to worry about). If you put something on top of the lid if may be able to support the weight, but you might wind up with indentations or creases.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts