Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Red
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I've owned my 2005 Red SSR since new and am now just adding my first post (I'm a bit of a procrastinator).
Having a problem with the roof not closing completely. It closes thru the cycle until the windows should close -
but then shows "roof cycle suspended". If I drive it this way it changes to "roof ajar". Often when I let it sit for
a day, I am then able to complete the closing cycle on the roof.
It seems to operate normally on opening - all the way thru the cycle to the double ding at the end.
I'm open to any ideas as to where to start.
Or if anyone is familiar with a good SSR roof technician in the Northern Illinois area, I'm open to that as well.
Thanks in advance for your help, fellow fanatics.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
Premium Member 2004 Smokin' Asphalt
50,412 Posts
I don't have the answer to this but someone will come along that knows more on how the top works, in the mean time Welcome.

·
Registered
2005 yellow over black. 😎
193 Posts
After closing the roof and getting the (roof suspended) on the display, do you wait a minute and then clear the display and try again ? Also, welcome to the forum. We’ll get you going. 😎

·
Registered
2005 Red
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After the display shows "roof cycle suspended", I wait for the error message to clear. Then if I try to close the roof again the display shows "manually close tonneau".
After that message clears, if I drive it, the display shows "roof ajar" warning with a ding noise.
Usually, if I just let it rest for a day or two, I am then able to try to close the roof the rest of the way and it will complete the closing cycle.
It seems to get hung up where the roof latches to the header and before the windows should go up on closing.
When the close cycle is complete, the opening cycle works with no issues.
Thanks a ton for any advise or guidance you can offer.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,129 Posts
@NEIL, I put this in your other thread in case you didn't see it. Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Click here for the "How To Library" https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3ef39d9f5adce5e5&id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Nick & Kathy

·
Registered
193 Posts
After raising the top and getting the time out message, try clearing it by pushing the top left button on the steering wheel. Then try lowering the roof a few inches and then closing it. Also, Does the top look like it’s aligned correctly to the striker on the top of the windshield when closing ?

·
Registered
2005 Red
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll give it a try. It appears to be lined up to the striker on top of the windshield.
Thanks for the advise.
Also, I updated my profile as recommended by nj6969. The tribulations of being
a newbie.

·
Slingshot Rules!
78,906 Posts
WELCOME, Neil . . . from Southern Arizona.

By the way . . . where is Long Grove, Illinois? Anywhere near Auburn, Illinois?

About 16 years ago I found The Doophus, the Perfect Slingshot Yellow SSR, at a Chevy Dealer in Auburn. The 1600 mile trip home was definitely "An Experience I'll Never Forget" and then some.

! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: !

·
Registered
2005 Red
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Auburn is south of Springfield and about a 3.5 hour ride from Long Grove.
Long Grove is a northwest suburb of Chicago (about 40 min. from downtown).
Sounds like there's a bunch of good stories that went on during that trip.
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Neil

Reactions: DOOPHUS

·
Registered
2005 Red
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Groceryman101!
Tried to clear the display and lower the top some where the cycle suspends - but no luck.
When I try to either go up or down with the top - the display shows "manually open tonneau".
If I drive it like this, it cycles to "roof ajar" and dings periodically.
Then I'll leave the SSR sit for a day or so, and I am able to complete the closing cycle.

It will open normally all the way through the trunk panels closing and the double ding tone
at the end of the cycle.
When I try to close it, the trunk panels go up, the roof then closes, and the trunk panels
go back down. At this point the sequence stops and the display shows "roof cycle suspended".
Even though the roof is up, I am not sure it is locked in place. It appears to be well aligned with
the striker plate.
Once it shows "roof cycle suspended", it will not close or open at this point. Each time I try, the
display shows "manually open tonneau".
Let me know if I can provide any additional info. to help with this.

Thanks again,
Neil

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,129 Posts
Hopefully more ideas will come along. A lot of folks are at the rally and will be checking bak in next week. Did read about the roof operation sequences in the Library?

Nick

·
Registered
2005 Red
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked out the library, Nick!
I hope someone with a lot of experience will have an idea of where
to start from following the roof closing sequence and DIC messages
I listed.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2005 Red
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advise. Gotta wait for a day when I have time to pull it apart.

Reactions: Railroad Guy

·
Spirited driver!
1,807 Posts
I would start by cleaning the micro switch in the header. It will help you see if striker plate is in the right position.
I was thinking that the alignment of the 3-position micro switch in the header could be off as mine was when it was saying roof ajar. I never got the mannualy release tonneau though which made me think it was a sensor in the tonneau area.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sounds like it is closed but the sensors are not seeing it. When it is closed, can you pull up on the cover and feel it rise up ? Hopefully the more knowledgable fanatics will chime in. 😎

·
Registered
2005 Red
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The more reading I do - I'm thinking maybe a frayed wire in the bay by the cover brackets (under the metal clips) shorting out and
keeping the tonneau cover from closing completely. Any thoughts on this?

·
Spirited driver!
1,807 Posts
The more reading I do - I'm thinking maybe a frayed wire in the bay by the cover brackets (under the metal clips) shorting out and
keeping the tonneau cover from closing completely. Any thoughts on this?
Yep, that is one of the first and easiest things to check for. Then do the micro switches inside that compartment on both sides. Easy to access with just a socket wrench.

·
Registered
2005 Red
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like a good plan to start with.
If anyone has any additional ideas, please let me know.
It appears many of the fanatics are more knowledgeable than
me at this point. Thanks, all!

·
SSR Believer
2,128 Posts
You've gotten some great advice to start with. (y)

Early on I pulled the convertible top wiring harnesses and found a couple of wires slightly chaffed but not through to the wire itself. I re-wrapped everything and added some foam padding to the clips. You'll need to only partially open the "flapper" to give the wiring and tubing enough slack to pull them out of the clips. To prevent future binding, be sure the wiring is properly distributed when you put it back in the clips. Details about how to do that from Dicktator can be found here (look for "Roof Hinge Wiring and Tube Repair"):

Or here:

Lots of other roof tips there too.

Hydraulic roof videos can be found on Mike's site too (check out the tech session "Chevy SSR – Tech Session 8/25/2018 Retractable Hardtop / Roof"):

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

SSR Roof Wiring 2.jpeg SSR Roof Wiring 4.jpeg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts