Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I try to open or close the roof, the edge of the roof cover binds on the edge of the cargo cover. I have tried adjusting the position of the roof cover but when I get it to the point where it does not bind, I get a "roof ajar" message when I close the roof. When the cover does bind I can get it past manually and then the roof opens and closes fine. I've read so many post I've gotten my self confused. Any simple answers?

Thanks

2003 Smokin Asphalt: :black:

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
What year is your truck?
Did this just start happening?
Does the tonneau cover lift straight up before tilting open.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Open the bed cover and look at the hinges. You will see what looks like a large bolt head on each one. Use these to lower the cab side edge of the cover slightly. Doesn't take much. Note the big head of the bolt has a plastic cover. Feel the bottom of the screw shaft and there is a small bolt end. Use that to adjust.
The dealer I purchased my Roadster from had to do this to get the top to work. Someone tried to cycle the top just before I bought it when it wasn't on a relatively flat surface. Found out if the SSR is on a sloped surface or the chassis is torqued at an angle, the geometry of the roof gets hung up when cycled.
A few months later I readjusted the cover to level and the top cycles as it should. Always use a flat surface to raise and lower the top on our Roadsters!
Boomer Bob :ssr

·
BLU SSR
3,465 Posts
It looks like you have an 03 - I believe I read that some of the early models had a hinge style that caused this type of problem and would need to be replaced. I'm certainly not the expert in this area - just trying to give you something to check on. Used new style hinges should be readily available and shouldn't be too hard to change. I'm sure some of the experts will chime in soon. :blur::ssr

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,398 Posts
What year is your truck?
Did this just start happening?
Does the tonneau cover lift straight up before tilting open.
The answers to these questions are important as the MAY indicate whether or not one or both hinges are bent.
Adjustments to the bed cover should be made very cautiously with registration marks made before anything is moved so it can be returned to the existing position if necessary.
I am in Pasadena and would be willing to try to help if you want to contact me by PM.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2003 SSR

Its been an issue for awhile.

Not sure if the cover lifts straight up and then tilts or just tilts. I will have to check on that. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The answers to these questions are important as the MAY indicate whether or not one or both hinges are bent.
Adjustments to the bed cover should be made very cautiously with registration marks made before anything is moved so it can be returned to the existing position if necessary.
I am in Pasadena and would be willing to try to help if you want to contact me by PM.
Thanks, not sure how to PM

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,398 Posts
Thanks, not sure how to PM
Sorry, I just realized you do not have eough posts to PM. I will send you a note so you can call me.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,669 Posts
2003 SSR

Its been an issue for awhile.

Not sure if the cover lifts straight up and then tilts or just tilts. I will have to check on that. Thanks.
I knew it was 2003 from your problem description. up to Vin#608 in 03 had bad hinges, GM did redesign with stronger and different lift.

See is you can find 04/05 hinges and just replace.

Dicktator

1 - 13 of 13 Posts