Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry I have had periodic troubles with "Roof cycle time outs" appearing on my DIC when trying to lower the top. I solve the prob. by reversing whatever I am doing at the time and that seemed to work. Yesterday I noticed some small rub marks on the right side of the top. When trying to lower the top, it took about six tries before I was able to overide the timeout cycle. Taking her in today to see what the mechanics have to say at the dealership, but you know, most of these guys don't have a clue about this truck. Hope they can figure it out soon. I would hate for one of those hydraulic hoses to burst open if it got pinched! Nasty stuff.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I also have the same rub marks. It's from not enough clearance from plastic inside roof panel. I haven't tinkered with it yet, but it looks like tightening up on the snap in fasteners might do the trick to get the clearance.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They could not get to it today so I had to reschedule a new apt. for Thursday. I watched it go back and forth through about 15 time out tries today. I really did not think I would be able to get it down, but on try 16 it lowered and I was able to check out the storage area for the top. I have a wire cover that is the typical split type in black on the passenger side and don't have one on the drivers side. The wires covered are the hydraulic lines that lead up the system. They seem to be catching on a little rubber piece mounted on a vertical screw on either side in the storage area for the top. The rubber piece on the passenger side where the wire cover was was extremely wigged out and askew as opposed to the one on the driver side. I rotated the split wire cover some and tried the top a few times and it worked ok. I really think the split wire cover is catching on that rubber piece on top of the screw. It appears to be a rubber part that cushions the flipper door when it comes to rest in the closed position when it is laid down flat with the top down. All the other connections appear in good working order and the only clue as to any part defect seems to be in that little rubber piece and the wire cover. Any thoughts on this or any one else with a similar prob. would be appreciated.

B

·
0 Posts
The same thing happened on mine,i taped the loom closed,also used a small tie rapp to hold it. It,s been since then.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still takin her in on Thursday just to be sure, but that fix did it. No probs since I tied back the wire cover. What a great day for top down, In Va. it was in the upper 70's today and going to be even warmer tomorrow! Freaky nice temps for this time of year. Thanks God!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
:banghead Before I bring my vehicle in this Thursday, I was hoping that some of you that have your SSR's could open the flipper door and stop the movement of the roof going up and get out and look at the hydraulic arms on the passenger and driver sides. I have a wire cover on the passenger side but not on the driver side. The one with the split wire cover seems to be the culprit. I guess what I am getting at is, do you guys have wire covers on both sides like the attached photo or just on one side? Does anyone not have them at all? You can see from the photo the little rubber piece that catches on the split wire cover that I am talking about. Sure would appreciate some input.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Wire cover

I do not have the wire cover on either side.
The wire on the drivers side gets caught on the knob every once in a while, but I no longer have "cycle time outs". My SSR is in the shop for a water leak in the bed and I asked them to fix the hydraulic wire hang up as well. I'll let you know what they did to fix it, if I get it back before you take yours in.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks John...appreciate the feedback. I am sure the knowledge will help out the techies who will be working on it.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:cheers Got my black beauty back from the dealer today and it was as I suspected, the wires had too much slack and kept getting caught on the hinges under the flipper door. They had another black SSR in the shop that was not so lucky. It had a faulty hydraulic that need replacing (one of the ones that makes the roof go up and down). I was pretty impressed with the knowledge of the body shop guys at RK Chevrolet. Their service department has also treated me extremely well each time I have been there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: Wire cover

looking4_an_ssr said:
My SSR is in the shop for a water leak in the bed
I understand that GM is redesigning the rubber gasket to stop the beds from leaking but it isn't available yet. Mine leaks a little also.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Talked to service today

Service said that they could make it leak less, but until GM made a fix, it would still leak.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Leak

They tell me now that they believe they have fixed the leak. Let's hope it true.

They also said that they have fixed the hydraulic line hanging up on the post.

I'll let you know if what they say is true next week.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what do the PT and the SSR have in common? Just got my SSR back from the dealership after some work on a minor roof problem (hydraulic lines getting caught up in hinges). Much to my surprise, when I got it home I opened the hood and they had completely mangled my hood prop!!! Kind of reminded me of the early days of the PT when dealerships did not know about the hood prop and closed the hood, even forced it closed, resulting in a dented hood! Fortunately Chevy made this hood of the thickest steel in the world! It actually takes me both hands to lift it because of the weight! Unfortunately the hood prop is about the diameter of a tooth pic. Go figure! Where are the gas struts for such a heavy hood? My prop looked like a linguini noodle but I was able to straighten it out somewhat but it is still pretty disfigured. I called GM and there is currently no TSB on the hood prop or anything else for that matter. Other SSR owners have expressed the same concern with the props bending and collapsing under the weight of the hood. I just hope they give me a new one. Is there any source for researching TSB/s on the SSR?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Saga Continues...

:banghead I just don't get it...since I have had my SSR back from the dealership, every time I try to lower the top, I go through at least two or three roof cycle time outs before I can get it to come down. No lines are hanging up either! I spoke with a guy from the Beachcomber Corvette club and he told me he had a mercedes retractable hardtop and after only one year, he could not get it to function either and he started with the same probs. I am having. He also said that after he took it to the dealer and they "Adjusted it", it never went up or down ever again! I sure hope this is not the fate of our SSR's. I don't plan on taking it back to the dealership until they work on some other SSR's first. They don't appear to have any experience in this type of technology yet. I would think they would have to be trained/schooled in it but apparently not. One other SSR at the dealership was in for a hydraulic failure on his top so I will wait and see what happens to his.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
cycle time out

Since getting mine hydraulic line fixed (by just tying a line tie around it), I have not had any more problems. :)

The bed hasn't leaked either, but I haven't been in a heavy down pour yet.

Just got my plates yesterday (1 month and 3 weeks after purchase). The plates were really easy to put in. I was a little intimidated by problems that others had, but it took less than a minute to put each plate on. :confused

T

·
0 Posts
HI looking_an_ssr do you get any condensation on your hindges are the meatel on the inside of the bed I get it in mine all the time. tattoo expert.:confused :angel

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
condensation

I did get a lot of condenstation. I will have to let you know if I continue to get it after this 'leak fix'.

Other items of interest...

I've been driving in sub 10 degree weather lately. When I start driving the truck in the morning the power steering is screaming and howling. I called the dealer who said that similar problems happen with some other vehicle and that there is a different power steering fluid that should be used, but that they didn't have any. He would call me when they got some in.

This weekend when I open the door I noticed that the door jam was covered in white (salt from the roads). I'm very surprised that the so much water gets into that area. I don't think it's a big problem, it just makes more to clean when I wash the truck (I'll have to open the door and wash the door jam too).

I was driving through 2-4 inches of snow this morning. The SSR did not handle as well as in the past. This snow is dry and fluffy where passed snows were wet and slushy. The traction control kicked in almost immediately and stayed on until I reached about 25mph. The truck would sway slowly left and right, not able to keep a stright line. So as enthusiatic I was the last time driving in the snow, I might consider leaving the SSR at home and driving the Z28 in the snow the next time :eek

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
SSR models

Here are some of my SSR models, including remote controls and even a computer mouse.

I have more at work.

(sorry about the picture quality, but I really had to cut it down to get under 205k)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts