Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a little squeak from a couple roof cylinders shafts when the top is going down.. They sound and feel dry..
I was wondering if it would hurt the seals to sprayed the shafts with some thing like silicone spray

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,001 Posts
I'm getting a little squeak from a couple roof cylinders shafts when the top is going down.. They sound and feel dry..
I was wondering if it would hurt the seals to sprayed the shafts with some thing like silicone spray
The squeak you are getting is NOT from the hydraulic roof actuators. I would never suggest spraying anything on the shafts of the hydraulic actuators.

The noise is coming from the pneumatic roof struts. This is a common issue..... Yes, you can temporarily quiet them down by putting a little silicone on the shaft of the pneumatic struts, but you really need to replace them. Failing pneumatic struts put your hydraulic actuators at higher risk of failure.

My two cents.......

Mike

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I open the top part way, it have a nice balance until the top begins to lower, the top still comes down smoothly and does not drop the last few inches as I've read.. I'll try a little silicone on the hinges and pneumatic cylinder shafts only and keep an eye out for leaks..
Thanks for your input

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,001 Posts
When I open the top part way, it have a nice balance until the top begins to lower, the top still comes down smoothly and does not drop the last few inches as I've read.. I'll try a little silicone on the hinges and pneumatic cylinder shafts only and keep an eye out for leaks..
Thanks for your input
Before you put any lube on the hinges, put a little silicone on a paper towel and wipe the shaft of the pneumatic struts. That should silence them for a while. You can also do this to noisy hood struts to verify that they need replacing......

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts