Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a Florida Chapter Fanatic with serious roof problem.

George/North Port said he purchased it this way.

Four SSR Fanaitcs showed up today at Andy's

AMP Automotive
1301 N Arcturas Ave,
Clearwater, Fl 33765
727-266-7172

Andy and George called me about his roof, I had not seen one this much out of line.

Would not close any closer than 4 inches of windshield. Use Duck Tape to keep rain/wind out.

NOTHING FIT!!

Dicktator

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Some More

Replaced roof latches on roof panel
Replaced Latches on windshield header.
Hydraulic cylinder bent on passengers side.
Andy running roof from Tech2.

We were able to close latch roof but the fit was still not right.

May have to change "whole" roof assembly.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just a few more.

The Fanatic who helped:

1. John aka Quicksilver, Alex aka Largossr05, Andy owner of shop, Eddie aka Sillypuddy.
2. John changing Roof Header Latch, Alex watching.
3. Alex with roof latch
4. John, Andy, Alex and Jim Greeley
5. Jim Greeley pushing roof into place as best we can.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,998 Posts
Wow Dick..... what a mess.

I'm betting that the panels are bent and the hinges are good...... You might try taking the panels loose and seeing if you can get them to line up better.

Do we know anyone with a set of good yellow roof panels? Time to canvas the people parting them out and find out. They should match in color, if you can find a set. I only have an extra set of Ultra Violet panels......

I also have a set of roof hinges, if you don't have any on hand..... but I'm betting they are OK.

This will be a long and slow rehab.

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Wow Dick..... what a mess.

I'm betting that the panels are bent and the hinges are good...... You might try taking the panels loose and seeing if you can get them to line up better.

Do we know anyone with a set of good yellow roof panels? Time to canvas the people parting them out and find out. They should match in color, if you can find a set. I only have an extra set of Ultra Violet panels......

I also have a set of roof hinges, if you don't have any on hand..... but I'm betting they are OK.

This will be a long and slow rehab.

Mike
Mike, thinking positive, I believe an Ultra Violet roof would really look nice on a Slingshot Yellow SSR .... at least it would be different. Bob - tennesseecozydog

·
Premium Member
2005 Redline SSR, 1990 Harley Davidson FatBoy FLSTF
161 Posts
A great example of SSR Folk helping one another. Agree with Bob Tennesseecozydog that the roof color change would be wildly different.
Cecil - 90 Fatboy

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,878 Posts
What was the cause that started this whole thing to begin with? What ever it was I want to make sure I don't do it. Thanks and good luck.

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,560 Posts
wow, much better than it was.
I would almost move to Florida for that kind of support, great job helping out another SSR Fanatic.
I'm with you Ron..that Florida bunch tackles the impossible...but look who's cracking the whip! Dicktator!

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Hello Dick,

impressive and terrifying at the same time.

we do not have anyone like Dick in Germany. :crying:

Roman

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
What was the cause that started this whole thing to begin with? What ever it was I want to make sure I don't do it. Thanks and good luck.

No Kidding!! :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Auggie Doggie

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Attention "A D" The wife heard, on the Weather Channel, that likely living in Sub Zero weather is usually the cause of this type of malfunction !!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just havin' fun Auggie on this cool rainy morning in the Volunteer state. Gotta' go now, get ready for Church. Big birthday dinner today, with the family, at the 5 Star Bell Buckle Cafe. Sunday it is either Miller's Country Buffet or Bell Buckle. Bring on the grub !!! Bob Alexander. :ssr

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We don't know what the cause of this damage was.

But, based on where it is and how it is, we concluded it was laid on its SIDE!

Damage rear fender, passenger side, round frame bar bent, hydraulic cylinder bent passengers side, damage under front, new PLASTIC radiator support. ect.

I have a YELLOW roof and have been using parts from my totaled/part SSR.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Your first post said he bought it this way hope he got one hell of a deal on it to begin with, he will end up paying a lot to get it back to where it belongs. As we all know the larger OEM replacement parts are getting harder and harder to find.
Be a good time to have all those roof cylinders pulled out and replaced with the roof off.....

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your first post said he bought it this way hope he got one hell of a deal on it to begin with, he will end up paying a lot to get it back to where it belongs. As we all know the larger OEM replacement parts are getting harder and harder to find.
Be a good time to have all those roof cylinders pulled out and replaced with the roof off.....
Rebuilding his cylinders is one of the reasons he brought SSR to Andy.

Fortunately I have parts for the roof.

Dicktator

1. I started with
What is left? Tailgate, passenger rear fender, doors, roof, pretty much everything else is gone.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Good morning Dick, you guys, John, Alex, Andy, Eddie & Jim, deserve a front row seat in Heaven if and when you get this "little yellow truck' back to normal. "One Piece at a Time" 1976 John R. Cash. tennesseecozydog :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,998 Posts
We don't know what the cause of this damage was.

But, based on where it is and how it is, we concluded it was laid on its SIDE!

Dicktator
If you believe that it was on its side........ I would change the whole roof assembly as a unit. ....... your eyes and gut feel are the best judgment of what needs done. No telling what damage happened to the long skinny parts of the hinges..... It wouldn't take much to yield a bad fitting roof.

How come you guys in Florida get all the fun jobs??????

Mikey

1 - 20 of 39 Posts