Chevy SSR Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, I guess it's my turn. My cylinders lasted almost 14 years. Found a puddle of fluid on the passenger side. Question for you experts: How long should I expect the removal of all 8 cylinders to take? I want to have them all rebuilt. I'm just looking for an estimate, please.
There is a shop in Bradenton, Fl. that does the entire job, from removal, rebuild and replace. It took three days.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I need to know when i reinstall all my hydraulic cylinders fill the tank with fluid, fuse back in do i just hit to roof open button or do i need to do anything else before i try to open the roof ?????
Manually move roof up and down, helper on one side, gets air out of system. System self purging but lots of air will take long time and could get pump hot from lot of use. Start with Roof Cover first, move up down a few times then try roof switch.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
The total removal/rebuild/install can be done in Florida by:

Cabrolet Hydraulics
3007 62nd Ave East
Bradenton, Fl 34203
Phone 941-756-1300

Tell Zig (Owner) Dicktator told you to call.

Dicktator
Thanks for the info in Bradenton, I can use then here in Fl. Nummy07

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
The one thing not covered is as soon as you can collapse the cylinders .
if you put a mark on shaft it will have to be replaced 100.00 extra each

·
Registered
1 Posts
No you don't have to borrow one.

I have Roof Tools. We made some when GM stopped.

PM me with your address

I take PayPal: [email protected]

Tool is $70.00 plus $5.00 to mail

Dicktator
I have a pristine 2004 SSR and I have top problems. #1: I need a top tool since I bought my SSR with about 15,000 miles and never saw or thought abought top problems or the problems now involved. #2:Do you know of an experienced SSR top repair shop near Frisco, Texas? #3: I am 90 YOA and not able to do the bending etc., etc. required for such a repair anymore but I understand what may be needed.
I took my top problem to a local Chevy Dealer and was told it works for us; Just drive it more! Can you believe that?

Thanks to Pres.H.O and the Chicken little President of GM instead of doing what they had done for a hundred years and shut down a couple Plants until sales got better they went crying to the Comander-in-Chief and he stole their business and put a pip-squeak in charge who had about as much knowledge as a H S Grad and look what we have now. I don't want to offend anyone but it is the story of a hundred years like so many other stories under-way today that we must guard against.

Thanks to all of you entrepreneurs out there for you innovative ability; the world is a better-place because of you. GLUaSoDoi
[email protected]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gary Medcalf had a roof lift cylinder fail, leak at bottom of cylinder.

As a result of his Dealer saying "NO longer available" we scrambled to see what was doable.

The following will be our Best Option, in my opinion.

I sent email to Top Hydraulics, Inc.

Here is what I got back from my email to:

Klaus Witte

Top Hydraulics, Inc.
90730 Southview Lane
Florence, OR 97439
(541) 902 3214

www.tophydraulicsinc.com

Top Hydraulics | Rebuilt and Upgraded Convertible Top Cylinders, Pumps, Hydraulic Lines - Top Hydraulics, Inc

Hello Dick,
Good to hear from you again. I am very impressed by the way you support forum and chapter members - you are a blessing for the SSR community!

We rebuild SSR hydraulic cylinders literally on a daily basis. It is quite normal for these cylinders to fail at this age. In warm climates, the life expectancy of the hydraulic cylinder seals can be even less than ten years. The first ones to fail are the left or right "Roof hydraulic cylinder", also known as main lift cylinders. They will normally start leaking on the bottom, where the mounting pin goes through the cylinder. Do your chapter member a favor, and recommend having at least left side and right side cylinder upgraded by us at the same time. They have identical seals, and those seals fail practically at the same time. Once the system has full pressure again, it is almost certain that the matching cylinder on the other side will fail instantly, within days, or latest within weeks. Unfortunately, these two cylinders involve by far the most work to remove from the car.

The cylinders need to be removed from the car and sent to us for rebuild/upgrade service - we do not stock them. Average turn around is currently one day. See Rebuild/Upgrade Service for Chevy SSR Convertible Hydraulic Components - Top Hydraulics, Inc. Ultimately, we end up replacing and upgrading seven seals per cylinder. I expect our seals to last about three times as long as the originals, under similar circumstances. $150 per cylinder (or $900 for all eight cylinders) plus $10 shipping per order.

Sincerely,

Klaus Witte

NOTE: Gary's roof cylinder DID start leaking at the bottom near mounting pin, just like Klaus said.

I email Klaus back and informed him the R in question was at the Dealer w/extended warranty.

His answer:

Dick,
I suppose the dealer will replace only one cylinder at a time, and they will cringe at the extra time it takes to send in the cylinder, but we are their only option. Most dealers are quite happy to find us... :)
I am surprised there is not more talk on the forum yet about failed hydraulic cylinders, since we are rebuilding a lot of them. We are probably dealing with the tip of the iceberg right now, and there will be a lot more chatter soon with Chevy being out of stock and these cylinders not being manufactured any more. I hope that Gary will report about his experience on the forum, and I hope that ultimately a hands-on forum member might work with us in creating step-by-step cylinder replacement DIYs.

Gary Medcalf aka GLMSSR04 is negotiating with the Dealer on repairing BOTH cylinders in his Roof Compartment.

This means, the roof cylinders are repairable. To me, that is good News.

Gary's Dealer has removed and is sending BOTH hyd cylinders to be updated and repaired.

Dicktator

BlueStreak has recommended that I reach out to you.
Do you have anyone in the Dallas area that can remove both those roof hydraulics, send them in for a rebuild, and replace them? from dadams 1/25/2020

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,274 Posts
BlueStreak has recommended that I reach out to you.
Do you have anyone in the Dallas area that can remove both those roof hydraulics, send them in for a rebuild, and replace them? from dadams 1/25/2020
Contact Frank (Dinerman) or Bob (ssr3). They should be able to help you out or head you in the right direction for DFW area.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Contact Frank (Dinerman) or Bob (ssr3). They should be able to help you out or head you in the right direction for DFW area.
You have some of the Best in the U.S. in Texas.

Frank aka Dinerman is President Texas Chapter and Gary aka river_rat is one of the Best SSR Tech's.

I reach out to Texas for help.

Dicktator

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You can remove and send yourself.

SSR How to Library: Look up ROOF CYLINDER REMOVAL

Send to:

Top Hydraulics
[3101 - 3199] Pacific View Drive
Florence, OR 97439

or

Cabriolet Hydraulics
3007 62nd Avenue East
Bradenton, Fl 34203

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have some of the Best in the U.S. in Texas.

Frank aka Dinerman is President Texas Chapter and Gary aka river_rat is one of the Best SSR Tech's.

I reach out to Texas for help.

Dicktator
Thanks for the info. I will reach out to them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All, I am reaching out to Frank and Gary again who are in the Dallas, Texas area.
I am asking for some referral of who I can take my 2004 SSR to to have the hydraulic repairs done.
I am not having any luck finding a technician on my own and would appreciate a referral (name and contact number please.)
I am ready to get this work done as it has been down for almost one year now.
Thanks, Doug

·
Registered
9 Posts
All, I am reaching out to Frank and Gary again who are in the Dallas, Texas area.
I am asking for some referral of who I can take my 2004 SSR to to have the hydraulic repairs done.
I am not having any luck finding a technician on my own and would appreciate a referral (name and contact number please.)
I am ready to get this work done as it has been down for almost one year now.
Thanks, Doug
Apologies, these are ROOF hydraulics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Sir, you are most kind in the assistance.
I see the info, but I do not see a reference of who I can call on to do the work.
The SSR is sitting in my garage in Dallas.
Do you have a referral of someone or some business I could take the vehicle to do the repair?
I cannot do it myself and have not been able to locate a reputable referral to do the repair.
Doug

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Dinerman & me (ssr3) have repaired about 10 SSR roof hydraulic systems pm one us to arrange a meet up to fix your roof

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gary Medcalf had a roof lift cylinder fail, leak at bottom of cylinder.

As a result of his Dealer saying "NO longer available" we scrambled to see what was doable.

The following will be our Best Option, in my opinion.

I sent email to Top Hydraulics, Inc.

Here is what I got back from my email to:

Klaus Witte

Top Hydraulics, Inc.
90730 Southview Lane
Florence, OR 97439
(541) 902 3214

www.tophydraulicsinc.com

Top Hydraulics | Rebuilt and Upgraded Convertible Top Cylinders, Pumps, Hydraulic Lines - Top Hydraulics, Inc

Hello Dick,
Good to hear from you again. I am very impressed by the way you support forum and chapter members - you are a blessing for the SSR community!

We rebuild SSR hydraulic cylinders literally on a daily basis. It is quite normal for these cylinders to fail at this age. In warm climates, the life expectancy of the hydraulic cylinder seals can be even less than ten years. The first ones to fail are the left or right "Roof hydraulic cylinder", also known as main lift cylinders. They will normally start leaking on the bottom, where the mounting pin goes through the cylinder. Do your chapter member a favor, and recommend having at least left side and right side cylinder upgraded by us at the same time. They have identical seals, and those seals fail practically at the same time. Once the system has full pressure again, it is almost certain that the matching cylinder on the other side will fail instantly, within days, or latest within weeks. Unfortunately, these two cylinders involve by far the most work to remove from the car.

The cylinders need to be removed from the car and sent to us for rebuild/upgrade service - we do not stock them. Average turn around is currently one day. See Rebuild/Upgrade Service for Chevy SSR Convertible Hydraulic Components - Top Hydraulics, Inc. Ultimately, we end up replacing and upgrading seven seals per cylinder. I expect our seals to last about three times as long as the originals, under similar circumstances. $150 per cylinder (or $900 for all eight cylinders) plus $10 shipping per order.

Sincerely,

Klaus Witte

NOTE: Gary's roof cylinder DID start leaking at the bottom near mounting pin, just like Klaus said.

I email Klaus back and informed him the R in question was at the Dealer w/extended warranty.

His answer:

Dick,
I suppose the dealer will replace only one cylinder at a time, and they will cringe at the extra time it takes to send in the cylinder, but we are their only option. Most dealers are quite happy to find us... :)
I am surprised there is not more talk on the forum yet about failed hydraulic cylinders, since we are rebuilding a lot of them. We are probably dealing with the tip of the iceberg right now, and there will be a lot more chatter soon with Chevy being out of stock and these cylinders not being manufactured any more. I hope that Gary will report about his experience on the forum, and I hope that ultimately a hands-on forum member might work with us in creating step-by-step cylinder replacement DIYs.

Gary Medcalf aka GLMSSR04 is negotiating with the Dealer on repairing BOTH cylinders in his Roof Compartment.

This means, the roof cylinders are repairable. To me, that is good News.

Gary's Dealer has removed and is sending BOTH hyd cylinders to be updated and repaired.

Dicktator

41 - 59 of 59 Posts