Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2005 ssr black 90,000 miles. Lowered and body kit
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I tried to lower the roof and got a time out. I hear the latches unlocking and the roof door doesn’t come up. I pulled up on the door and saw fluid on the drivers side. I can hear the pump running but must be out of fluid. Would that most likely be a line or cylinder or reservoir? Or does any one know someone in the Midwest that fixes them? I’m in Minnesota. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,612 Posts
Your problem could be any of the items you mentioned, way too had to eliminate by not being there. Lift struts will not correct a leaking system, but it is a good idea to swap them out after all these years if you have never done so.

There are only 2 companies that repair the hydraulics and you are right about in the middle between them.

Some information on those companies and videos on how to remove and replace parts that might help here too -
http://chevyssr.club/wp/diagnosis-and-repair-guides/roof-hydraulic-cylinder-system-leaking/

All of Dicks One Drive content is conveniently listed here
http://chevyssr.club/wp/diagnosis-a...-belview-dicktator-direct-link-repair-guides/

Helpful Links
Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
SSR Technical Resource - Quick searchable help
Electronic Repairs - Speedometer, brake, door latch, fuse box, stereo
Billet letters for tailgate and under hood

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
4,432 Posts
I would suggest getting some fluid into the tank and have someone operate the roof switch while you look to see where the leak is coming from. Then you may have an idea of it is a line or a cylinder.

The easiest thing I found to put fluid in the tank for me is a Performance Tools 200cc Extraction & Fill pump. Auto Zone has them but they are kind of proud of them at about $32. I ordered mine from Rock Auto and it was only $15 with shipping. I also ordered my fluid from Rock Auto and it was about half the cost of Auto Zone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it all right to lift the door for the roof by hand? Or do I have remove fuses first? I just want to see what is leaking and worried I might damage something. Thanks for all your help. Is there a video to show how to lift the door by hand or just pull up with 2 people all the way up.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,612 Posts
Yes, you can lift by hand after the locks are disengaged. When you hear them unlock and see the door flapper start to move you can stop the automatic process and manually lift it, like you mentioned, 2 people are the best option to keep slow even pressure. If you cannot get the locks to release electrically you'll have to unlock with the cables behind the seats, a real PITA sometimes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, you can lift by hand after the locks are disengaged. When you hear them unlock and see the door flapper start to move you can stop the automatic process and manually lift it, like you mentioned, 2 people are the best option to keep slow even pressure. If you cannot get the locks to release electrically you'll have to unlock with the cables behind the seats, a real PITA sometimes.
Thanks. I got it up I just wanted to make sure I didn’t wreck anything. My guess it looks like my cylinder. I’ll do some research on how to remove it and get it rebuilt

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
4,432 Posts
It is always suggested to do them in pairs. I can tell you they are not easy and can be a little rough on your back and shoulders. You have to most of it by feel. After you do one side the other side is a little easier but now your working with your opposite hand so it can be a little more of a challenge. Take your time and be patient. Getting everything lined up and clips in correctly can get frustrating. Take a break and walk away if it gets to you. I used several of the picks in my tool box, I also marked around the cover latches and removed them after about the third time they stabbed me in the shoulder. I also would recommend removing the insulation from the back wall and floor to keep it from getting messed up. There is only one plastic retainer on the drivers side I think that holds it in.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,612 Posts
Thanks. I got it up I just wanted to make sure I didn’t wreck anything. My guess it looks like my cylinder. I’ll do some research on how to remove it and get it rebuilt

As jackatg450 mentioned above, do them in pairs. You could do a single, but chances are the rebuilt one will have much better pressure than the other side and cause a binding issue due to uneven movement.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The folks at Top Hydraulics put together a great video series on the SSR Hydraulic system. You can find them on both the "Top Hydraulics" website, and on Mike Morro's "Simple Engineering" website. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLly4CMbpk7ozyh3ktZpuRsVOFtz_JJBl1 Watch the videos... you'll know quick enough whether you've got the skill-set and patience to do the job, or if you're better off opening your checkbook. It's tedious, but not all that difficult.

·
SSR Believer
2,281 Posts
The folks at Top Hydraulics put together a great video series on the SSR Hydraulic system. You can find them on both the "Top Hydraulics" website, and on Mike Morro's "Simple Engineering" website. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLly4CMbpk7ozyh3ktZpuRsVOFtz_JJBl1 Watch the videos... you'll know quick enough whether you've got the skill-set and patience to do the job, or if you're better off opening your checkbook. It's tedious, but not all that difficult.
Great advice. (y)

Top Hydraulics videos are all in one place here:

The "Chevy SSR – Tech Session 8/25/2018 Retractable Hardtop / Roof" video on that same page has some great info too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today I tried to lower the roof and got a time out. I hear the latches unlocking and the roof door doesn’t come up. I pulled up on the door and saw fluid on the drivers side. I can hear the pump running but must be out of fluid. Would that most likely be a line or cylinder or reservoir? Or does any one know someone in the Midwest that fixes them? I’m in Minnesota. Thanks
Your main lift cylinder is leaking. Remove and have both rebuilt. It is not usually necessary to rebuild all of them. Click this link New folder - OneDrive (live.com) I recommend that you also replace the Roof Lift Struts. Click this link Roof – Simple Engineering, LLC (simple-engineering.com) then scroll down to "Roof Cylinder Removal".
Jack
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to remove and replace the 2 main cylinders? I have it at a dealership and it took one day to remove them. Then I sent them to be rebuilt and then I had the same dealership replace them and so far they have had it for 3 days to install them and still not done.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,193 Posts
Can anyone tell me how long it takes to remove and replace the 2 main cylinders? I have it at a dealership and it took one day to remove them. Then I sent them to be rebuilt and then I had the same dealership replace them and so far they have had it for 3 days to install them and still not done.
Most dealers have nobody in service that has any experience with these trucks. We do these at Tech Days. It takes about three hours to remove and replace and test assuming there are no other issues like Hall switches or pinched shorted wires or they did not get the hall switches clipped back in the right place. .
Sometimes running the top up and down several times in a row overheats the pump and melts a crease in the reservoir causing it to to leak. This is a common issue. If that happened at the dealer they will not be able to find a replacement. Dicktator and Simple Engineering has them, Dick had them made.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,403 Posts
The dealership that I have here charges an hour of labor to replace them..... They know what they are doing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you know what you are doing it should take about 3 hours to remove and replace.
Thank you. My guess he screwed something else up and not telling me. Last I heard that there was a leak after he put it back together. I could of drove to Florida and back and had it done right by now. 😂😂

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now at day 5 in the shop and now the mechanic is out with a hurt back. My guess from working on the SSR. Sounds like no one else will touch it at the dealership. If they can’t fix it by next week I’ll have to have them tow it to another dealership. I even asked them before I brought it to them if they had knowledge on working the lift system on the SSR, and they said no problem we worked them. Best thing to do is to bring it to one of the pros on this website. Lessons learned.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
29,113 Posts
Now at day 5 in the shop and now the mechanic is out with a hurt back. My guess from working on the SSR. Sounds like no one else will touch it at the dealership. If they can’t fix it by next week I’ll have to have them tow it to another dealership. I even asked them before I brought it to them if they had knowledge on working the lift system on the SSR, and they said no problem we worked them. Best thing to do is to bring it to one of the pros on this website. Lessons learned.
Might be time to get the folks at General Motors involved. Not sure how to go about it but if the dealer can't deliver there needs to be a paper trail.

Reactions: Hairdobykq
1 - 20 of 23 Posts