Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to use the roof key to unlock roof manually and the there was no way it would work. The part inside is exactly the same as the tool,looks like two male parts not male and female. Am I missing something?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,052 Posts
Went to use the roof key to unlock roof manually and the there was no way it would work. The part inside is exactly the same as the tool,looks like two male parts not male and female. Am I missing something?
The short answer is:
yes.......

The long answer is:
The grey part that looks just like the tool is actually the drive gear from the motor. It is spring loaded into the black plate that has the arms attached. When the roof is up and latched, there is a lot of tension on that connection. This makes it difficult to push the spring-loaded drive gear out of the plate. Be gentle as you push the drive gear up into the motor gearbox. There is a delicate spring mechanism above it that can be damaged if you use a lot of force.

If you are having trouble getting the gear to disengage from the plate, I would recommend pulling down the plastic header cover and disengaging the rods to relieve the tension. This will allow you to disengage the gear from the plate and put a little lubrication on the mating surface. Please note that the gear retracts only enough to disengage from the plate. If you get really heavy handed, you can drive the gear too far and break the plastic mount for the engagement spring on the back of the motor/gearbox.

Regards,

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts