Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Got the roof tool today from SE, beautifully crafted piece. BUT.....I hope I can keep this brief. I can feel the end of the tool drop into the center hole of the tools mate in the locking mechanism, and it feels like its engaged, but when I turn it, it just spins, in either direction. Tried it several times. Could the new machining be just to fine ( crisp, sharp ) the tool tip sides are razor sharp. I have tried in vein to see up in the hole w/ the tool in there. learned a week ago on the forum why not to try to force it in. Thought of trying to relieve the groove edges on the tool with some emery paper, but I'd rather ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake soooo. I'm stuck.....Clivey :nopityhere

Attachments

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
Hi All, Got the roof tool today from SE, beautifully crafted piece. BUT.....I hope I can keep this brief. I can feel the end of the tool drop into the center hole of the tools mate in the locking mechanism, and it feels like its engaged, but when I turn it, it just spins, in either direction. Tried it several times. Could the new machining be just to fine ( crisp, sharp ) the tool tip sides are razor sharp. I have tried in vein to see up in the hole w/ the tool in there. learned a week ago on the forum why not to try to force it in. Thought of trying to relieve the groove edges on the tool with some emery paper, but I'd rather ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake soooo. I'm stuck.....Clivey :nopityhere
If you look at the place the tool fits into, you will notice that the outer portion is black and the center portion is grey. In order to use the tool, you need to disengage the grey inner silicone from the black outer portion. When you do this, the tool will be engaged in the black part and the Grey part will be disengaged and behind the black one. Hard to explain, but the tool is used to push the grey part back to disengage it. You can only push it back when the splines are lined up correctly.

Biggest issue is that the two parts have been mated for 15 years and are probably “a little stuck”....... Be gentle, but firm and it will work.

The damage comes from people banging the tool into place wnd shoving the center portion through the back of the unit......
Mike

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx a bunch Mike, I have a good idea of what your explaining, I have to push it onto the mechanism once I'm satisfied that it's properly engaged. The roof works just fine electrically, it unlatches properly, I just want to ensure that it's latching all the way. I have a nasty rattle somewhere in the vicinity of the passenger side "A" pillar, I have already eliminated the passenger door and I doubt there's anything to rattle like that in the front section of the roof. Thanx for your advice. I'm not about to stop until I find the annoyance.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,275 Posts
Have you checked the outer A-pillar trim cover to make sure it is secured properly? It is held in place by trim push pins and “Dual Lock” Velcro.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
Thanx a bunch Mike, I have a good idea of what your explaining, I have to push it onto the mechanism once I'm satisfied that it's properly engaged. The roof works just fine electrically, it unlatches properly, I just want to ensure that it's latching all the way. I have a nasty rattle somewhere in the vicinity of the passenger side "A" pillar, I have already eliminated the passenger door and I doubt there's anything to rattle like that in the front section of the roof. Thanx for your advice. I'm not about to stop until I find the annoyance.
Have you checked the outer A-pillar trim cover to make sure it is secured properly? It is held in place by trim push pins and double lock Velcro.
Clivey,

If you find the right A pillar on the outside is tight, you can go above the windshield. To access the windshield header area, you only have to remove the two visor clips and the cover pops straight down. The visor clips have a Phillips screw under the little “pry open” cover on the front side. Once you get it down and disconnected from the little wiring connector, you will find a whole host of stuff up under that panel that could rattle. You can do this with the roof in place or retracted..... I would suspect the right roof latch assembly.

Regards,

Mike

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Rattle

A few ideas and suggestions for you…

Rattles and squeaks can usually occur from slip/stick contact between parts or loose fitting parts. Does the rattle occur with the top up or down or windows up or down or both? That could help narrow your search. Have you checked that the right and left roof header latches are tight and fully engaged and that there are no bent or misaligned parts? Do the latch parts show any local wear indicating loose contact? While driving, can an assistant feel any relative motion between the roof and header on the passenger side that is coincident with the rattle? There might be a very slight amount of relative movement at the windshield header/front-of-roof interface that is normal on a rough road and that would not cause a rattle.

You might also consider lubricating the seals with a silicone compound like Sil-Glyde (https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7651351) and mechanical parts with either a silicone spray, WD-40, etc. to free parts that might be binding.

If, with the doors closed, you can push or pull at the top and detect play when trying to move the door in or out, you might need to adjust the door latch striker in the door jamb to tighten the fit. Even though the doors are firmly closed, when driving over bumps or a rough road they may rattle.

It could also be a window rattle from worn internal parts (track, bumpers).

Here’s a link to more info on an easy door rattle repair.

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/five-minute-door-rattle-repair-217313/#

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
something a bit simpler. clip the passenger seatbelt and see if the rattle quits. the clip may be rattling against the outer seat plastic.

Reactions: BlueStreak

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx snomuncher, sounds like you've chased a few rattles. I had a friend drive the truck while I sat in the passenger seat. The rattle, rattle, isn't coming from the door, and I really don't think it's coming from the top of the "A" pillar. The closest I can determine is around or behind the Passenger dash airbag, or the glovebox area. It's really difficult to locate because it doesn't always rattle, railway crossings, frost heaves, some pavement patches. I avoid pot holes for all reasons. I've done my best to reach up behind the glove box and airbag, but can't feel anything loose, I'm going to attempt to remove the glovebox, if everything looks ok behind the plastic windshield header.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx river_rat, I can use all the help and suggestions I can get. You folks have all been so helpful. It's come down to the point now where I have to find it cause I have no excuse not to. Process of elimination, simplest things first. Call me fussy, but every time it rattles it temporarily removes the permagrin.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Another good place to look is the ash tray.mine rattles on my dirt road. Annoying as hell.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanx yellow bear, I've already been through everything seat possible, I've even inspected the passenger side header pipe thinking it might be contacting the frame or body when passing over railway tracks or the like. This rattle sounds like something fairly heavy. Sure appreciate all the suggestions though, I will find it, the easy way or the hard way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts