Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my '04 since February 2004. In July, 2004, I started having time out problems. The dealer didn't know how to fix it and after checking with the engineers could not come up with a solution. My solution was to keep pushing the button until the top worked. It kept getting worse and finally quit a few weeks ago. So I took it back to the dealer. They ordered new rollers, but that didn't help. Their next guess is that I need a new roof motor. But Chevy doesn't keep extra motors. It has to be built and may take 3 weeks. To install it, they have to remove the seats and who knows what else.

While they had it to put the rollers in (3 days), they readjusted the seats and reset both saved settings.

·
OP
8,225 Posts
time out

I had this time out problem on my new '05 the day I took delivery and for awhile after. At first it was the left latch, then it was the switch. Both items were replaced. TIME OUT CODES were CLEARED in the computer and all is well since. Have your dealer contact Don Hewlett Chevy in Georgetown to try and troubleshoot this problem, they learned a bit from my SSR.
Good Luck, I ahve and continue to be in your shoes concerning dealer's service departments...

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
divedude said:
I have had my '04 since February 2004. In July, 2004, I started having time out problems. The dealer didn't know how to fix it and after checking with the engineers could not come up with a solution. My solution was to keep pushing the button until the top worked. It kept getting worse and finally quit a few weeks ago. So I took it back to the dealer. They ordered new rollers, but that didn't help. Their next guess is that I need a new roof motor. But Chevy doesn't keep extra motors. It has to be built and may take 3 weeks. To install it, they have to remove the seats and who knows what else.

While they had it to put the rollers in (3 days), they readjusted the seats and reset both saved settings.

I would highly discourage anyone from going to Chuck Fairbanks Chevrolet in DeSoto, TX, for service. And I would suggest selling you SSR as soon as possible, because this is just the beginning of parts unavailability, with the SSR being discontinued and GM sales problems.
Oh How nice, This is what I mean about parts in the future. This is the result of Just in time production. Whats going to happen 10 years from now..Oh were sorry we have to build a Factory first so we can build your motor???

·
Registered
166 Posts
F A C T

Your roof unit is NOT servicable......was never made to be if it fails the WHOLE damn unit needs to be replaced YES boys and girls so start buying them there ex ten deeeed warranties and looking where other SSR sss are parked cause the roof unit in various colors cost 3500 or so yeeeeooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Jetcop20 said:
Your roof unit is NOT servicable......was never made to be if it fails the WHOLE damn unit needs to be replaced YES boys and girls so start buying them there ex ten deeeed warranties and looking where other SSR sss are parked cause the roof unit in various colors cost 3500 or so yeeeeooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Where in the world would you get such misinformation??? The roof IS serviceable and was MADE to be serviceable. Whether or not you can find someone with the ABILITY to service it is another story.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OP said:
I had this time out problem on my new '05 the day I took delivery and for awhile after. At first it was the left latch, then it was the switch. Both items were replaced. TIME OUT CODES were CLEARED in the computer and all is well since. Have your dealer contact Don Hewlett Chevy in Georgetown to try and troubleshoot this problem, they learned a bit from my SSR.
Good Luck, I ahve and continue to be in your shoes concerning dealer's service departments...

OP,
Thank you, I will suggest they contact your Dealer. This isn't the first problem I have had with the roof and not their first screw up or lack of parts. That is why I waited until it absolutly would not work before going back.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ssr blur said:
Where in the world would you get such misinformation??? The roof IS serviceable and was MADE to be serviceable. Whether or not you can find someone with the ABILITY to service it is another story.
ssr blur,
One of my concerns is that whoever the local SM is talking to at GM doesn't know how to fix the problem(s) with the roof. And the parts always have to be shipped in, and in this case built. Plus, everytime I take it in, they screw up something else :mad

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
This thread was starting to soun like Chicken Little; "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!" Not getting rid of my SSR, besides is still under warranty.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Misinformation

YIKES ooo my at least up in New York you have replacement parts for the retractable hood good luck when the time comes to rebuild the servo motors LMAO :jester

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Jetcop20 said:
YIKES ooo my at least up in New York you have replacement parts for the retractable hood good luck when the time comes to rebuild the servo motors LMAO :jester
What are you talking about??? Only motors in the SSR top that I know of are the hydraulic pump and the header latch motor. Do you really believe the dealer story that they are "building" a motor for divedude?:skep I might have a bridge for sale too if you are interested.:) :) If unique parts are needed years from now, they can be had...or made if necessary. If you are going to worry about parts availability to the point that it detracts from your enjoyment of the R, then just sell it. For me...I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.:sleep :sleep

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Talk about misinformaiton, these roofs are totally serviceable. I had a lot of top problems, and after getting the right GM mechanic in a good body shop to work on mine, the problems went away. The time outs happen when something obstructs the cables or opening or closing of the top. You may have wires or cables routed incorrectly or catching on something. I suggest you purchase the Helm Manual to see all the parts for yourself and even if they have to rebuild one of the motors that drives the mechanism up and down, so be it. It ain't rocket science, but a good body shop mechanic should be able to fix it. Get thee to another dealership that is better qualified man!

·
OP
8,225 Posts
[ The time outs happen when something obstructs the cables or opening or closing of the top. You may have wires or cables routed incorrectly or catching on something. I suggest you purchase the Helm Manual to see all the parts for yourself and even if they have to rebuild one of the motors that drives the mechanism up and down, so be it. It ain't rocket science, but a good body shop mechanic should be able to fix it. Get thee to another dealership that is better qualified man![/QUOTE]

somewhat true, but not totally. Timeouts also occur from bad switches and relays, also computer error codes that remain in the system until cleared, although they will resurface unless the original problem is addressed.
The most common code from a bad latch is "roof ajar", from a bad relay or switch is "roof timeout".
The latter will require you to continuously hit the switch to lower the top, then (with another person) while holding the switch and depresses the brake (lots of stretching for this one) slightly tugging on the tonnue roof cover latches so it will close, the motor will do the rest.
Read my post about being wary in Durango, CO and it will explain some of what I have been through.
I have been the Proverbial Guinea Pig with my dealer's service department and also have experienced the "take it in for one problem, get it back with two more problems" due to their incompetence, but I can only hope that they learned from their mistakes and can pass on the wisdom to other dealers if they are contacted...
Anyone wants to discuss this further can PM me and I will give my phone number so you can call me.
I hope I can help.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
ssr blur said:
What are you talking about??? Only motors in the SSR top that I know of are the hydraulic pump and the header latch motor. Do you really believe the dealer story that they are "building" a motor for divedude?:skep I might have a bridge for sale too if you are interested.:) :) If unique parts are needed years from now, they can be had...or made if necessary. If you are going to worry about parts availability to the point that it detracts from your enjoyment of the R, then just sell it. For me...I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.:sleep :sleep
I've decided also just to enjoy my truck and not worry over parts. Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones with no problems.:) I've already gotten more enjoyment out of this vehicle than any other one I've ever owned.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Jetcop20 said:
Jetcop,

I don't get you. Why would we be looking where other SSR's are parked? What does that have to do with it or the solution to the supposed problem. You don't want to steal the tops from the parked cars, do you? Naa, I didn't think so.:skep

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
As a master GM tech and the only one my DSM (gm rep) wants working on SSRs in my area, I can tell you all roof parts are available and the roof is very much servicable.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
divedude said:

I would highly discourage anyone from going to Chuck Fairbanks Chevrolet in DeSoto, TX, for service. And I would suggest selling your SSR as soon as possible, because this is just the beginning of parts unavailability, with the SSR being discontinued and GM sales problems.

Did they first check the hydraulic fluid?
Mine did this about a year ago and they filled it, (no leak found) It has worked for a year. Now I am getting the warning again. I am taking it to the dealer this week.

Most of the issues I have seen on this site have replaced the Drivers Side sensor in the roof and it has fixed the problem! Easy fix and parts are readily available.

I will let you know what they do to mine !!!! Probably won't take it til Tues.!:seeya

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ricochet said:
Oh How nice, This is what I mean about parts in the future. This is the result of Just in time production. Whats going to happen 10 years from now..Oh were sorry we have to build a Factory first so we can build your motor???
...You know, GM hasn't manufactured parts for my '62 Olds Starfire in many a year, either, and the reproduction manufacturers tend to reproduce mainstream stuff, of which the Starfire isn't. This isn't exactly a new issue. Don't let it get you down, however - drive and enjoy your SSR. if something breaks, it absolutely can be fixed, now as well as in the future. You never know - a hot rodder or even GM might have invented a better mousetrap for whatever failed, and the SSRs will have been around for a while by then.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts